Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,884
» Forum posts: 211,864

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 259 online users.
» 3 Member(s) | 255 Guest(s)
Bing, batzulger, Labster, Matrix Dragon

Latest Threads
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Mamorien
2 hours ago
» Replies: 141
» Views: 4,875
Are the spammers getting ...
Forum: Forums
Last Post: Vulpis
4 hours ago
» Replies: 35
» Views: 6,512
Russian lawmakers authori...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Last Post: Dartz
5 hours ago
» Replies: 181
» Views: 19,485
Image Thread 28
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Norgarth
6 hours ago
» Replies: 299
» Views: 10,363
The Trailers Thread III
7 hours ago
» Replies: 34
» Views: 1,574
Video Madness XI
7 hours ago
» Replies: 149
» Views: 8,344
Stupid dialog, free to a ...
Last Post: robkelk
8 hours ago
» Replies: 130
» Views: 28,242
Crossovers That Should No...
Last Post: robkelk
10 hours ago
» Replies: 258
» Views: 16,095
All The Tropes Wiki Proje...
Last Post: Labster
11 hours ago
» Replies: 136
» Views: 2,685
Politics Video Madness II...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
04-23-2024, 08:09 PM
» Replies: 178
» Views: 33,821

Here we go again...
Posted by: Black Aeronaut - 12-13-2005, 05:49 AM - Forum: Hangar 13 - Replies (3)

Now, I haven't really played any of the Halo games, but I have read the Novelisations, 'The Fall of Reach' and 'First Strike' which takes place before the first game, and before the second game, respectively.
I can already tell you that this setup trips my sensitivity of nihilism.
So, I'm thinking about changing things up just a scoach. Reach is more than just a Big Ass Military Base, it's also the seat of all military research. Throw in a touch of Sliders for the science experiment that brings in our boy, only one of the lead scientists is a fellow named Dr. Emilio Lizardo.
Yeah, I know. I'm a sick puppy.
Before Emilio got what he got in the begining of Buckaroo Banzai he was a very decent fellow - had a wife and kid and all. Same applies here, only he doesn't get messed up. Ergo, he feels so terrible for the guy that he starts using his clearances to call in some help.
Of course, there were moral concerns...
"Emilio, this is a human being we're talking about here!"
"I know he is, but if we do not do this then all he will be is the largest living collection of scar tissue. Is that any sort of life for a human to live?"
"But how do you know this is the right thing to do?"
"You go in there and look in his eyes. That boy's lucky to still have at least that!"
With the interested assistance of Dr. Halsey and a few others (at this time I haven't figured out who yet) they save the poor sap by making him into the first ever full conversion cyborg.
Of course, thay had to get approval from the government, and of course, they want a return on their investment.
"Dr. Lizardo, you do realize that even with the help of the Spartans we will most likely not win this war?"
"The thought has crossed my mind."
"Then you'll understand why we are conscripting... Mr. Rhodes, was it? ...into the UNSC and assigning you and your team to a new project."
"But what about Rhodes? What do you intend to do with him?"
"Relax Dr. Lizardo. He will be your guinea pig for Project MANTICOR."
Dr. Halsey never really learns of this part... Until, that is, the Covenant arrive at Reach.
Project MANTICOR's prototype was ready for field testing (all lab tests had gone fairly well) and in a last ditch effort to keep that advanced cybertechnology out of Covenant hands, one last Pelican dropship, loaded with the Project MANTICOR prototype and key hardware rendevous with the Pillar of Autumn before her escape.
Thoughts anyone?-NeoRaven
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allen Poe
Sponsored by Black Aeronaut Technologies -
Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.-NeoRaven

"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allen Poe

Sponsored by Black Aeronaut Technologies -

Aerospace solutions for the discerning spacer.

Print this item

Technically an AMV...
Posted by: Florin - 12-09-2005, 11:21 AM - Forum: Anime Music Videos - No Replies

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5206257500748953004&q=legend+of+zelda
An old Japanese commericial for The Legend of Zelda. So very very 80's.--
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaught of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 

Print this item

Forum Display Fonts?
Posted by: Jeanne Hedge - 12-08-2005, 08:57 AM - Forum: Forums - Replies (7)

Were the board's display fonts changed recently? I haven't changed anything on this end, but the text on the boards looks different. It's hard to describe, but they look kind of "light weight" to me in recent days.
Jeanne

www.jhedge.com
[Image: purdue.gif]

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Print this item

Concepts That Will Not Come
Posted by: Valles - 12-07-2005, 10:49 AM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (39)

I know we've all got at least one of these - an idea that hovers constantly at the edges of your mind, taunting you with this piece or that piece, but never stepping forward long enough or far enough to latch on to it and put it down on paper or electrons.
So, since I'm bored, I thought it might be interesting to talk to people about them.

First up is the senior plot bunny, a Rurouni Kenshin thing which I know that I've mentioned here before. The setup/AU change is that Kaoru's father was not, in fact, an Imperialist - instead, he was a member of the third squad of the Shinsengumi.
So, times being what they were during the Bakufu, he looked around at all the men he trusted, and then asked the most dangerous one of the lot - who would be most capable of protecting his daughter - if he'd be willing to step in in place of her recently deceased godfather.
His captain grumped about it a bit, then accepted.
Now fast forward eleven years, to when an assassin doing penance and a murderer stalking the streets of Tokyo are about to learn what happens when you combine the idealism of the Kamiya Kasshin Ryu with the pure ruthlessness of a sora aoi wolf.
This one was spawned by the incongruous image of our friendly Tanuki-chan standing ready to deal out a Gatotsu, and by wondering how such a thing might come to be. The really fun thing about it, though, I think, is that for all the 'Aku Soku Zan' stuff, Kaoru really hasn't changed much. After all, as she reasons, true evil, the stuff that really needs killing for the sake of all around it, is actually pretty rare. The rest of the time, what you need to do is understand their motivation - then remove it.
Once the initial few chapters are past, though, I don't really have many ideas for this beyond the intention of presenting Kaoru as one of the Kenshin-gumi's front-line fighters, rather than the support role she was shuffled off into in canon.

The middle child is an Escaflowne piece, which started off as the idea of writing an Escaflowne/Jovian Chronicles crossover. Because I was amused by the idea of comparing a Deliverer to Gaea's melefs.
This one had gone dormant for a long time, though, and now that it's come back to life I've pretty much figured out a way to ditch the JC connection, which is really all to the good in plot terms.
The current incarnation is a 'next generation fic', set maybe ten years from now, where Hitomi and Van's daughter (conceived the night before the end of the series) follows in her mother's footsteps to the Earth's mysterious larger moon. She's out of the 'active tomboy' mold, successful on Earth but frustrated at how easy everything is - a hero looking for a cause, really, sort of like a cross between a (mostly) angst-free version of her father and Utena Tenjou.
So, she gets to Gaea, having grown up on her late mother's stories of the place, and finds out that, far from a paradise, it's really gone back to business as usual - politics, greed, war, etc.
Now, an interesting and important detail is that after they seperated, both Van and Hitomi remained faithful to each other - not because they were too obsessed with pining to move on, but because being in touch with each other mentally was enough to satisfy their interest in the matter. So 'Utena' is an only child.
This is important because it means that, as far as Fanelia's concerned, Van's heir is his eldest cousin. Who, while not terribly strong-willed, is a nice enough woman. Her husband, though, not so much on either count.
A most ambitious man, in fact. Which, when mixed with a resurgence of Zaibach nationalism and Basram's increasing willingness to use gunboat 'diplomacy' in search of better and better trade concessions, makes for... tense times.
His elder son, the heir to the throne, happens to be a fellow with his father's will and his mother's morals, and most assuredly does not approve of his plans. So, being the thoughtful sort, with one exception, he does some research and discovers something he can use to prevent a disaster - once performed by a legitimate member of the line of succession, the Rite of Dragon-slaying trumps the strict order of inheritance.
Since that single exception I mentioned is swordplay, he sets out to put this into practice. Cue 'Utena's' arrival, then desperate combat with not one or two, but an entire nest of dragons.
Past that... beyond noting that Zaibach's technology has spread across most of Gaea, and that Fanelia's share of the new revolution is the mining of metals and energists (which gives it the raw elements for a powerful, if not terribly numerous, military - Fanelia isn't small, but it's mostly mountain, and very sparsely settled), there's... not much. 'Utena' on the throne, likely, and possibly an arc plot having to do with Terran technology finally getting to the point where it can find Gaea and repercussions thereof...

The final and newest of my three primary nemeses is a Full Metal Panic bit, inspired by Tessa and Kaname's conversation about resonance and its repercussions, late in the first series.
See, one of the FMP world's ubiquitous shadowy terrorist organizations has put together a theory that, since so much of the data posessed by any single Whispered is incomplete, they can get big dividends by combining two such assets.
Then the baddies find out that there are going to be two Whispered in the same, relatively insecure place - Theresa Testarossa and Kaname Chidori. Who they promptly kidnap (successfully, due to Wraith's tripping up Sousuke at a critical moment just before things kick off), blowing the whole 'secrecy' thing with many of Kaname's classmates in the bargain.
Then there's a vague actionish sequence where Sosuke and the rest of Urzu are trying to rescue the girls before the baddies can carry out their plan and wipe their minds in the bargain.
So they plow through all opposition, capture some and kill the rest, and eventually Kaname and Tessa wake up in the de Danaan's sickbay.
Only, it turns out Urzu was too late - the 'merge' is complete and permanent. But, rather than wiping each other out, K&T were able to work together and create a gestalt - a new, third person with both of their memories. And two bodies.
Then two intertwined arcs, one of 'Tename' trying to deal with her lives and settle in with her 'parents' friends, complicated somewhat by the fact that she combines Tessa's sense of humor with Kaname's boldness (example question: "Hey, Kyoko, what do you think? If I use both bodies, does it still count as masturbation?"), and another of how leaks from the kidnapping are slowly snowballing and breaking the entire Whispered/Black Technology thing out into the open...
Which leads up to a major action arc as... *waves vaguely* some real army, somewhere, kicks off a major headhunt in response to the new information, and MITHRIL has to stop them before things get out of hand, etc, etc.
Followed by an emotional climax built around 'Tename' having to face up to Tessa and Kaname's parents, and finally resolve the whole unsettled situation she has with Sousuke.
*sigh*
So annoying.
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Print this item

A Somewhat Risky Metasong
Posted by: Evil Midnight Lurker - 12-07-2005, 07:51 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (3)

God gave rock and roll to you, gave rock and roll to you
Put it in the soul of everyone
Do you know what you want? You don't know for sure
You don't feel right, you can't find a cure
And you're gettin' less than what you're lookin' for
You don't have money or a fancy car
And you're tired of wishin' on a falling star
You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar
Chorus:
Gave rock and roll to everyone (oh yeah)
Put it in the soul of everyone
"Now listen"
If you wanna be a singer, or play guitar
Man, you gotta sweat or you won't get far
Cause it's never too late to work nine-to-five
You can take a stand, or you can compromise
You can work real hard or just fantasize
But you don't start livin' till you realize - "I gotta tell ya!"
Gave rock and roll to everyone
Put it in the soul
(Instrumental break)
God gave rock and roll to you (to everyone he gave the song to be sung)
Gave rock and roll to you, gave rock and roll to everyone
God gave rock and roll to you (to everyone he gave the song to be sung)
Gave rock and roll to you, saved rock and roll for everyone
Saved rock and roll
chorus repeats out...
"I know life sometimes can get tough! And I know life sometimes can be a drag!
But people, we have been given a gift, we have been given a road
And that road's name is... Rock and Roll!"

--Kiss, God Gave Rock and Roll To You II
The way I see this one... everyone within Doug's AoE who can hear the song, and who's present for the entire duration, gets one shot of his own broken magegift.
The very next song each individual hears, if it's one in Doug's arsenal, will activate as if that individual were Doug.
And, as a side-effect, ordinary magegifts won't function until the power has been discharged...
--Sam
"This is a totally deep hole."

Print this item

In the Air Tonight
Posted by: classicdrogn - 12-06-2005, 11:07 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (1)

By Phil Collins

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh lord
(Doug recieves a premonition about a target's near-future actions, must be played after dark)
Ive been waiting for this moment, all my life, oh lord
Can you feel it coming in the air tonight, oh lord, oh lord
Well, if you told me you were drowning
I would not lend a hand
(Target must be someone Doug dislikes or outright despises)
Ive seen your face before my friend
But I dont know if you know who I am
(Doug must be able to recognise the target by sight, thoguh they need not know him)
Well, I was there and I saw what you did
I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off the grin, I know where youve been
(After the initial precog burst at the beginning of the song, the trance continues, and he sees groundwork already done as if he was an observer present at the time, including rough knowledge of where it happened, enoguh to draw a circle on a state map)
Its all been a pack of lies
And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh lord
Ive been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh lord
I can feel it in the air tonight, oh lord, oh lord
And Ive been waiting for this moment all my life, oh lord, oh lord
Well I remember, I remember dont worry
How could I ever forget, its the first time, the last time we ever met
But I know the reason why you keep your silence up, no you dont fool me
The hurt doesnt show; but the pain still grows
Its no stranger to you or me
And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh lord...

It should probably be less a matter of Doug thinking about a specific bad guy to target, than his subconscious picking one at semi-random from whoever fits the criteria in local reality - trying to force a psecific target makes it likely to backfire and just play through the first and or last time he encountered that target rather than showing anything new, and there's a certain level of nastiness that must apply to the things being plotted before it'll key in. So, on aslow night when the biggest evil underfoot is filling the Badmobile and drving off without paying, or using solid-light projection abilites to make it look like athe female lead is naked throughout the movie in a theeater, he gets to reminisce over that time Doctor Splice tried the old "water trap & mutant sharks" deathtrap and he turned the sharks into sea monkeys.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Print this item

Way Too Powerful...But I've Gotta Mention It
Posted by: DHBirr - 12-06-2005, 08:35 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (3)

...mostly because I'm having fun picturing Bob making puppy-dog eyes at a Game Master and saying, "Please?"
Play That Song Again
Joan Jett, Ricky Bird, & Frank Carillo
Twenty-one and lost out on the street,
You won't take nobody's sympathy.
Back at home you reached for love
But you was turned away.
Black and blue, you cry most every night.
You tell your friends that everything's all right
Hoping when you close your eyes
It all will go away.
(But with the music loud
Your life gets better somehow)
All right, play that song again,
All night and never let it end;
You'll find something there for you;
All right, it can get you through.
It's though there's someone trying to break you down;
There's a million takers in this town.
It's too hard when no one even wants to understand.
Guitar coming from a radio,
Always takes you where you wanna go;
Somehow all your troubles always seem to fade away.
(But with the music loud
Guitar coming from a radio,
Always takes you where you wanna go.
(But with the music loud
All right all night.
All right all night.
Effect: Doug has to play this song completely through, but then if he starts a new power song within thirty seconds, the power from the new song lasts twice as long as the song itself does ("playing" the song again) -- unless it's night. In that case, the power lasts for the rest of the night.
That's not necessarily as beneficial as sounds, because he can't shut it off once the second power song has finished playing -- he has to wait for the extended duration to complete -- and he can't use any other power songs during that period.
And if you need another unpleasant side effect, Doug feels like an alienated, unloved twenty-something at least during the playing of the initial song, although the second song should cheer him up.
DHBirr
"Up, lad, up! We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!"
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Print this item

Webpage merge of two old threads of fanfic links
Posted by: hmelton - 12-05-2005, 11:42 AM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (1)

About a week ago I noticed some of the threads that contained a large number of links to fanfics were getting very far down the Discussion Board list and very hard to find.
I've converted a couple of the older ones into a single smaller incomplete HTML page originally for my own personal use.
It's not complete and my goal was never to create a sorted or easy to use fanfic links page so it isn't pretty.
I does contain every link from two of the older threads I've so far edited into a abridged HTML version.
Since it was originally for personal use I've made no effort to credit the board members that started the thread or added comments and links.
www.geocities.com/hmelton...iction.htm
Hopefully you can access this page directly.
Please post a message here if you can't access it.
I will leave it at it's present location with irregular updates as long as no one complains about the blatent plagerism of me editing (by cut&paste) and posting other peoples comments without crediting them.
howard melton
God bless

Print this item

Happy Birthday, Asuka
Posted by: Foxboy - 12-04-2005, 09:16 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk VI: Angel Baby - Replies (2)

I'm such a pathetic Evangelion fan that I know that Asuka's birthday is the 4th of December.....
*sigh*
Even worse? Rei's "official" birthdate is March 31st.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Print this item

RAALS Website
Posted by: HoagieOfDoom - 12-02-2005, 06:54 AM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (2)

Is anyone else having problems getting to the RAALS site? I can't connect to it for some reason.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org

Print this item