Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 202
» Latest member: RaymondWar
» Forum threads: 13,888
» Forum posts: 211,950

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 249 online users.
» 2 Member(s) | 244 Guest(s)
Bing, Facebook, Yandex, Labster, SilverFang01

Latest Threads
Another reset
Forum: Forums
Last Post: Labster
15 minutes ago
» Replies: 19
» Views: 605
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Norgarth
3 hours ago
» Replies: 178
» Views: 6,278
Image Thread 29
Forum: General Chatter
4 hours ago
» Replies: 19
» Views: 390
Anime recs and requests, ...
Last Post: classicdrogn
Yesterday, 09:56 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 1,258
Seraph's art thread
Forum: The Legendary
Last Post: Dark Seraph
Yesterday, 05:51 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 193
Isekai by Moonlight
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: robkelk
Yesterday, 05:46 PM
» Replies: 94
» Views: 7,419
Weird & Interesting scien...
Yesterday, 04:41 PM
» Replies: 107
» Views: 8,059
(teaching) How to be Invi...
Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play
Last Post: classicdrogn
Yesterday, 04:34 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 24
Dearly Departed of 2024
Last Post: robkelk
05-01-2024, 11:11 AM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 1,510
Beware of Chicken - Limit...
Last Post: Shepherd
04-30-2024, 10:10 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 339

I suspect this would fall under the "do not play"
Posted by: classicdrogn - 12-20-2005, 01:43 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (4)

given Doug's aversion to dealing with gods and all.... and conferring on himself the ability to do real damage to a god would, at best, piss them off... and it would be hard to figure out just what effect iit has, for that matter.
The song? Steely Dan's Godwhacker. The only effect is that Doug can feel his metagift working hard, and for the duration, immortals ... aren't.
ETA: Still, it would be very useful in, for example, a Buffy step circa the Glory arc. Or Highlander, I suppose.
ETA2: An immortal he played it around would probably recognise what was happening, though, so maybe Hexe could have told him what was going on and to never, ever use it again...
- CD still thinking on some more 'project a power' songs.That which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Print this item

GURPS Technomancer Drabble
Posted by: Foxboy - 12-19-2005, 11:56 PM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (10)

dunno if I've posted this here before, but it almost certainly was hosed in the Hacker attack from a while ago.
the drabble
HuAnn Jefferson swore softly from the back seat of the Lincoln Geomancer as she reloaded her twin enchanted automatic pistols. Meanwhile, the animated Tyrannosaurus skeleton gained pace by pace on the sport utility vehicle carrying the plucky UNICORN team.

"What the hell are we going to do, Crimson?" she asked the redheaded sorcerer beside her.
"Cant talk," he replied. "Busy." His fingers a blur, he picked out commands on the laptop in front of him. Several occult symbols flickered briefly across its screen like confetti and coalesced into a rapidly scrolling pattern. "Its going to take some time for me to code this spell. Try to hold it off for two more minutes."
"Just great," she muttered. "If Id known I was going to be fighting skeletons, I wouldnt have gone for the silver nitrate bullets."
"If shed known, she says," chimed in the driver, a fox chimera called Reynard. "If youd had your way, wed have been so loaded down with depleted uranium rounds that we couldnt airlift you with all the cargo carpets in the Army!"
"Shaddap, Reynard!" She gritted her teeth and took aim through the broken window behind her on the menacing skeletal theropod. In a mere second, she had the absolute certainty that her shots would have their maximum effect if she shot . . . NOW!
Twin cracks echoed as the guns fired, and HuAnn knew her shots hit exactly where they were supposed to hit. For all the good it did.
"Why the hell do these museums have to reinforce the display skeletons so much?" she asked of no one in particular.
Grinning, Reynard answered, "So that when atomic liches trade zombie slaves for powerstones, they can animate them and not fear their investment being reduced to dust by international antiterrorists bent on saving the world? Its just a theory Im working on."
Stony silence filled the sport utility vehicle as it zigged and zagged through the underbrush. Then Crimson unleashed a Rebel yell that nearly shattered the eardrums of the much-put-upon sharpshooter.
"Got it!" he exulted. "All I need to do now is execute it!" Softly, he began chanting.
"Checksum error [8A 33 56 F0 E4]. Clear [E9 00 12 BD 43]. Execute program 'DRAGON_SLAVE.MGS' [E8 C6 22 19 A[Image: alien.gif] . Return."
Magical energy began whirling about the sorcerer, sucking photons into a sphere of red energy floating an inch above the keyboard. Gingerly, he picked up the ball, turned in his seat and let it fly. It streaked towards the gaping maw behind them, and impacted. A blinding flash, a clap of thunder and a fine rain of plaster and mana-active polymer raining down on the Geomancer indicated the success of the spell.
HuAnn looked at both her companion and his laptop. Shaking her head in wonder, she holstered her guns.
"Where did you get that thing anyway?" she asked warily.
Crimson looked confused for a moment, then smiled softly.
"Why," he replied, "from the Sharper E-mage catalog, of course!"
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Print this item

CrossRoads + IST X-Mas 05
Posted by: Rev Dark - 12-19-2005, 11:06 PM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (4)

Good Afternoon,
Bob -can I drop Crossroads off here, or do you need some more time?
Last year I did the first IST holiday special - This years has been started, but I am unlikely to finish it before the holiday - so here is the start. (the 04 story vanished in the crash)

IST Holiday 05

Forget it Naoko. Hes not going to do it. Simon said. Ive asked him. Youve asked him. We could try and get Cammy to ask him, but Im not sure shes willing to do that. Face it Virginia, theres no Santa Claws this year.
Simon considered his partner in crime for a moment. Naoko Yoshida. Ace computer maven, former Olympic hopeful gymnast, and busybody/manipulator supreme. She was in the midst of organizing the IST Santas Grotto, and had hit the inevitable Santa wall. Miguel Macho Santos, her normal Kris Cringle of choice had begged off for the second year running. The invulnerable masqederos wrestler had already committed to spending the holidays in Mexico with his grandchildren. This left a large, Santa-shaped hole for Naoko to fill, and she was making every effort to shove an unwilling werewolf into that hole. So far Thibor had resisted guilt, teary eyes and the almost unheard of offer of Naoko picking up a dinner tab. The werewolf was made of sterner stuff; or more likely, properly cynical of Naokos manipulative motivations.
Chief. Naoko said solemnly, her freckled, pixie features falling into a stoic mask. We shall never give up. We shall pester him on the beaches, we shall pester him on the landing grounds, we shall pester him in the offices, streets and hills. We shall never surrender until his furry, Slavic, backside is seated firmly in Santas grotto.
When did this become we? Simon asked rhetorically and then caught himself.
Okay, youre the Prime Minister in this ill fated escapade. Whats your plan?
I call it Market Garden. Naoko said with the same somber gravitas. Garden for the magical grotto, and Market for the price that will be paid if Thibor doesnt agree to do it.
Wait Simon cocked an ear. My ancestors They are speaking to me They say. Run Simon Bitterbuck Run far away Little Freckled Fox is about to do something that both of you will regret Take her with you Buy her dinner Find another Santa
I like the buy her dinner part. Naoko grinned. If I can pull this off without saying another word to Thibor will you take me to that German tavern he was talking about last week?
Not a word to Thibor? Simon considered. He was going to end up taking Naoko out anyway; making the bet wouldnt make a bit of difference, other than moving him slightly away from the blame explosion that would follow whatever she had planned. Done.
Simon. Cammy emerged from her office as if on cue. Would you be so good as to run through recent air traffic and security reports through Heathrow. Let me know if you find anything out of the ordinary. Naoko, the Major has asked me once again to turn down your request. I know that it is an excellent cause, but he does not want a repeat of last years fiasco. As a personal favour to me, could you please stop pestering him.
Its okay. You can tell him hes off the hook. Naoko said. Ive lined up someone else.
Champion. Cammy smiled, delighted that the matter had been dropped with grace and dignity. Did Miguel change his plans?
No, hes still in Mexico. Naoko said. But Colonel Byrd agreed, so everything is good to go.
Colonel Byrd?!? Cammy was understandably distressed at the thought of their commanding officer in the role. Please tell me we are not talking about Colonel Jonathan Byrd.
He said he was chuffed about the idea. Naoko continued. How bad can it be?
Cammy tried to respond. Then she tried again. The words just werent there. That wasnt entirely true. The words were there, but it would take several volumes to properly detail how bad it could be. An entire library could be devoted to just how bad it could be and it would not even begin to fully describe, let alone capture the degree of malicious glee, off-handed savagery, and laddish, soccer hooligan cruelty that was the Colonel Byrd experience. With a quick shake of her head Cammy turned sharply and retreated back to her office.
And we have a winner. Lucky! Naoko announced as the display on the phone system indicated that Cammy was making a call. She spun around in her chair and pumped both fists in the air.
Naoko. Simon said carefully. What happens when Thibor ask Colonel Byrd about this?
He says that he understands, and will step aside for Thibor. Naoko said smugly.
You didnt actually ask him? Did you? For the first time in the conversation Simon seemed genuinely distressed.
Ill tell you over Rheinischer Sauerbraten mit Kartoffelklen und Apfelmus. Naoko said with no small amount of gustatory glee.
There. Cammy made a final adjustment on the beard and lightly patted the pillow that was bulging Thibors waist out to a more Santa-ish profile. You will be fine Major. Its only for a few hours.
Bother. Thibor grated from behind the huge white beard. It was not the word he normally would have chosen, but it was the only one that he was allowed to use under the circumstances. Another eight hours of screaming, crying, urinating, defecating, gurgling, and drooling; and that was just the parents. It could be worse. Thibor let his gaze fall to Cammys short red elf boots, following them up her lithe, smoothly muscled legs, to the insanely short hem of her bright green Santas Little Helper skirt. Cammy caught the lecherous gaze and pulled the skirt back down from where it had ridden up again.
I do wish that whomever designed this outfit had exercised restraint and sewn a more appropriate hemline. Cammy said.
Is true. Thibor nodded sagely. Two inches higher and it could have been belt.
Okay. I think everything is ready. Naoko bustled in. Cammy frowned. Naokos skirt was several inches longer than hers and nowhere near as tight. You look great Thibor! Lets hear your laugh.
Paris, Britney, Christina. Thibor rumbled, his pillow belly shaking.
Not again. Naoko rolled her eyes. Its supposed to be Ho! Ho! Ho! Oh Very funny.
Ho! Ho! Ho! Thibors grin seemed far more genuine now. Is better?
It will do. Naoko said. Do you have the gifts ready?
Right here. Thibor gestured broadly to the bag that was set up next the throne. His hand caught the top and knocked it over, scattering several brightly colored packages across the floor.
Honestly Thibor. Cammy bent down to pick up the packages, stuffing them back into the sack. Do be a little more careful.
I love this season. The food, the presents, the snow. Thibor said. There is nothing like pure white covering on field of elf.
And what is that supposed to mean? Cammy blushed and tugged her skirt back down; suddenly aware that bending over had sent her skirt up far higher than proper decorum merited, revealing her knickers in the process. Five days to Christmas and already vying for the naughty list are we?
Nice list is vastly overrated. Thibor said. But am Santa, so cannot stay on naughty list - am sure that there is escape clause.
Very well. Cammy managed to grin through the blush. But if you try to use the When I think about you I touch my elves line, I will personally fill your stocking with coal and then beat you to death with it. Are we understood Major?
Affirmative. Thibor returned the grin and then turned on Naoko. Is Colonel Byrd unhappy at losing seat?
Nope. Naoko shook her head, sending the small jingle bells at the end of her long elf-
hat ringing. He said something about wandering down to the pub and becoming the Ghost of Christmas Pissed.
Will scare Dickens out of Marley. Thibor observed, collecting a groan and a wince from his audience. And no holiday footy and Guinness for Tiny Tim. So what is in sack?
The usual. Naoko said. Toys, games, gift certificates. Everyone was really generous this year. We even managed to score some really good corporate sponsorship.
I noticed signs on way in. IST Santas Grotto brought to you by Virgin. Is very Christmassy. He considered for a moment. Am sure that if was at little stable in Bethlehem, there would be large sign next to manger. Is also saying brought to you by Virgin. Oh, and is sign on donkey saying Virgin Mobile.
Its okay Naoko. Cammy said soothingly. Hes almost done.
And what is it with Joseph? Is carpenter Has virgin, has wood. Okay. Am ready now. Thibor settled into the throne like chair. We who are about to deal with children salute you.
You know, hes really quite good at this. Naoko sidled up to Cammy. Across the room Thibor has a young, blonde child perched on his knee. He was grinning. She was grinning. Everyone was happily ensconced in the warm glow of camaraderie and the Christmas spirit.
Well, it is a learning process. Cammy said with a fond glance at Thibor. You can teach an old dog new tricks, but it is not easy. Thibor is actually quite fond of children, and dealing with them, and I would wager that he actually enjoys playing Santa. That being said, the idea that he likes all of this is so completely alien to him that he denies it at every opportunity. Hence the rather ritualized ill temper and sarcasm prior to the start of this undertaking; but as you can see he does rise above it admirably.
You rotten little bitch! Thibor was on his feet, fully transformed from man to werewolf. He backhanded the little, blonde girl with all his strength, sending her across the room and through a cinderblock wall. Cammy gaped appalled until she noticed that the hilt of an overlarge hunting knife was protruding from Thibors other arm, the blade driven entirely through. With a grimace Thibor tore the knife free and dropped it on the floor. Blood continued to drip from the wound which refused to close over. That meant silver.
Oh bother. Cammy felt a cold fearful hand grip her heart. Vampires lived in fear of the Big Bad Wolf; but there was something that even the Big Bad Wolf feared. Naoko.
Get everyone else out of here! Get them out now!
How much is that doggy in the window? The sing song voice rang up from the hole in the wall. A pair of bright blue eyes, a shock of blonde hair, and a deep, blood red cloak were visible. The one with the waggy tail. How much is that doggie in the window? The doggy Im going to impale!
Bonnie Hood. Cammy moved into the line of fire, ready to try and draw Bonnie away from her target. She had read the file as well as gone over the pertinent information with Thibor. A Scottish immortal, suspected to have been born in 1533. The same year that the church excommunicated Henry VIII and Ivan the Terrible rose to power. Not a good year. Not a good year at all. Although she might look like she stumbled out of a particularly Disney production of Grimms fairy tales, Bonnie was an almost peerless monster killer, utterly mercenary, completely insane, and to top it all off, supremely powerful. The limits of her abilities were unknown and almost unclassifiable. The only clue to the limits, was an epiphany Thibor suffered when watching anime with Uriko and the rest of the team. He had said that her powers were that of a little blonde girl in a monster anime; Super strong, resilient to damage, with infinite, customized weapons, and the disquieting ability to appear and disappear like the monster in a spam-in-a-cabin movie.
I saw Bonnie shooting Santa. Bonnie hopped out of the hole in the wall and dug a hand into the wicker basket she was carrying. She dragged out a Scorpion machine pistol and unleashed a long burst at Thibor. The werewolf managed to dodge out of the way as bullets chewed up the walls around him. Cammy moved in on the other side, sliding across the floor and then kicking up, knocking the gun from Bonnies hand.
Oh! Not nice. Bonnie wailed. She glanced down at Cammy and pointed a finger. And now no one will marry you!
What?! Cammy managed, kipping up to her feet. The answer hit her. Her skirt was at her belt again. Why a Scottish girl would be mentioning a Japanese predilection for the display of undergarments was quite beyond her. Why are you trying to kill Thibor?
Hes a bad dog. Bonnie said with enough smiles and dimples for a legion of Shirley Temple imitators. And someone is paying me a lot of money to kill his ass dead. Ill be able to get a nice present for Granny, a new bone for William, boots for Arthur and John and if there is a little leftover, maybe something special for me.
But what about all the kids who wont get their presents because you killed Santa? Cammy asked. While Bonnie was talking she wasnt shooting, or worse.
Oh no! Bonnies big eyes welled with tears. Those poor little ones. I know, Ill use some of the money to buy presents for them too. Then everyone will be happy happy happy. Thanks lady!
Champion. Bonnie ran off in a flurry of skirts, petticoats and spent bullet casings. Cammy pursued. It was impossible. Despite moving in a light, skipping, gait, Bonnie was actually pulling away from her. As Cammy rounded a corner in pursuit she was brought up short by a net that stretched across the whole of the corridor. She slammed into it and found it wrapping around her. In moments she was bound helpless and struggling on the floor.
There. No chasing Bonnie when Bonnie is out killing nasty old wolves. The short blonde psychotic waved a foot long knife at Cammy. If you do, Bonnie will give you a lot more scars on your pretty face. Oh yes she will.
As Bonnie turned to skip away, Thibor dropped down from the ceiling tiles, landing in front of the blonde. Without pausing he kicked her under the chin, sending her flying into the air. He spun into her with a punch that drove her into the wall with enough force to shatter the concrete. Bonnie slumped to the ground.
Dont worry about me. Cammy protested as Thibors claws made fast work of the steel cables of the net. Just get out of here.
Here boy! Get the stick! Get the stick! Bonnie was back on her feet, waving a stick of lit dynamite in her hand.
No. Is not wanting the stick. Thibor said.
Come on. Bonnie urged as the fuse burned lower. Get the stick boy.
No. Thibor was adamant on the point.
Get the fucking stick! Bonnie exploded with rage, tossing the dynamite at the werewolf. Cammy moved in batting the dynamite back towards Bonnie. Bonnie bent to pick it up and then decided against the plan. She slammed her basket down on the dynamite and then hopped on top of it. There was a muffled boom and the basket jumped a foot off the ground with Bonni clutching the handle like the saddle of a bucking bronco. She landed heavily on the ground, her tiny feet kicking at the air.
Where oh were did my little dog go? Bonnie looked around at the empty corridor. Oh where, oh where could he be? With his tail chopped up and his head torn off, Oh where, Oh where could he be?

Print this item

HBP Question
Posted by: jpub - 12-18-2005, 11:09 PM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (13)

Since I was mostly speed-reading the end of HBP (since I was getting thoroughly disgusted) I'm not as solid on the latter parts of the book.
I'm reading some post-HBP fanfic, and I'm wondering - I've seen a couple people say R/Hr happened near the end, but *I* don't remember it, and I don't have the book with me to check.
Did I just miss that bit, or what?--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]

Print this item

Footsteps of the Boy-Who-Lived
Posted by: drakensis - 12-18-2005, 12:47 PM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (16)

I'm working on the third chapter at the moment and I could do with a little help. One of the ideas I've been working on is a steadily escalating tension between the protagonist and the staff at Hogwarts. Unfortunately, the initial confrontation with Professor McGongall after the first flying lessons, has gotten out of hand and I'm not sure if I can salvage it or will have to ditch it.
I'd appreciate your input. The confrontation as it's written at the moment is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------

Padma shook her head as Michael sat down opposite her. Shes right, Hal, she told him. You and Malfoy are always fighting I heard you punched him on the Hogwarts Express as well. You cant just go on doing that the Malfoys are a very old family and theyre very powerful.
Whats he going to do? Michael asked. Get his dad to have my dad fired from his job or something? Might be a teeny bit difficult.
But think about the points youll lose Ravenclaw if you keep fighting youre being really selfish.
Michael glared at her. Im being selfish? he asked incredulously, leaning forward over the table. Youre perfectly okay with Malfoy getting away with being a theiving bully as long as he doesnt bother you but Im being selfish. And Professor McGonagall reckons it takes two to fight so we should just leave him to get on with it. No wonder Voldemort got away with all this crap evidently no one was willing to stand up to him in case there was a fight or someone docked them points. Gryffindor courage doesnt seem to go very far, does it?
His voice had been rising steadily as he spoke and silence had fallen over the Hall after Michael snarled the name Voldemort.
Five points from Ravenclaw, Professor McGonagall snapped. A great many wizards and witches died fighting the Dark Lord, Mr Potter. Among them your parents.
And you seem intent on making sure no one does fights back again, Michael snorted, rising from his seat to face her. Since you evidently seem to think no one should stand up to a bully and a coward, oh mighty Head of Gryffindor.
Professors will deal with such matters, she said flatly, approaching him. Now sit down or you will cost Ravenclaw even more points.
Michael put one foot on the bench and shoved his dishes back so that he could sit on the table. Really? he asked sarcastically. Professors will stand up for their students and make sure they arent bullied? Maybe you should ask yourself, Professor McGongall, why didnt anyone go to you? There were more than a dozen students witness to Malfoybeing a theiving git, half of them from your house. But how many told a Professor? Apparently none of them. Do you have any idea whey they might not have any faith youd do anything? Maybe they think youd slap them down like you just tried to do me.
There was a cough from the high table and McGonagall turned to see Albus Dumbledore looking at them through his glasses. Detention, she hissed, eyes bright with anger. My office, immediately after dinner.
Ill be there, Michael replied coldly as the Professor stalked away.
No Quarter, NO QUARTER! You damn well earned your fate.
Give Harrington our compliments; we're sorry you are late.
- No Quarter, Echoes Children
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Print this item

Sesame Street Song...
Posted by: Duane Peters - 12-18-2005, 08:40 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (5)

Who are the people in your neighborhood,
In your neighborhood, in your neigh-bor-hood.
Oh, who are the people in your neighborhood,
The people that you meet each day.
Gives Doug a general knowledge of residents/businesses of the area in which he is residing, within roughly 10 minutes walking distance.

Print this item

A transformation song, from the one-hit wonders shelf...
Posted by: robkelk - 12-18-2005, 05:17 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (3)

Went to a party the other night
All the ladies were treating me right
Moving my feet to the disco beat
How in the world could I keep my seat
All of a sudden I began to change
I was on the dance floor acting strange
Flapping my arms I began to cluck
Look at me...I'm the disco duck
(Ah get down mama, I've got to have me a woman, ha ha ha ha ha)
Disco, disco duck
(Got to have me a woman)
Disco, disco duck
(Oh get down mama)
Try your luck, don't be a cluck, disco
(Disco)
Disco
(Disco)
Disco - disco - disco disco duck
(All right)
Disco disco duck
(Ah get down mama, oh mama shake your tail feather, ha ha ha ha ha)
When the music stopped I returned to my seat
But there's no stoppin' a duck and his beat
So I got back up to try my luck
Why look it's the disco Duck!!
(Everybody's doin' the)
Disco, disco duck
Disco, disco duck
Try your luck
(Wave to me)
Don't be a cluck
(I'm so happy to be here)
Disco
Thank you duck
Disco
For gettin' down
Disco disco disco
Thank you so very much
Disco duck
(You're welcome)
Disco Disco Duck
Try your luck, don't be a cluck, disco, disco, disco...

Disco Duck, Rick Dees (1976)
Transforms Doug into a little white duck. The sailor suit is optional (and definitely disclaimed by Disney), as is the ability to disco-dance.
(Why did I come up with this, all of a sudden? Well, Randy Bachman has a weekly radio show Saturday evenings on CBC Radio 1, and this week the show's about novelty songs. This is one of the ones he's played...)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Print this item

Rubberband, projected
Posted by: classicdrogn - 12-18-2005, 12:59 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (2)

I'd suggest Kate Bush's Rubberband Girl as giving the same effect as Rubberband man, only projected to the female of his choice. A healing effect at the end f the song might be added, due to the "Rubberband bouncing back to life" line's prominence.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Print this item

>Writing again... *gasp!*<
Posted by: Dragonflight - 12-17-2005, 01:15 PM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (11)

>Lurk drive failure!<
To any who know what it's like to spend forever between jobs spending all your time so focussed on the *next* job that it seems criminal to take any time away for other pursuits, you know pretty much what my life's been like lately. [Image: smile.gif] That said, I finally got a decent job offer... and I started writing again! Amazing how fast that turned around...
Anyway, if people are still interested, I was doing up a fanfiction of the DW2 fic, set about six months after Doug left, involving Vision, the Hou Bang, a new biotech firm based on Doug's leftover notes, a few new Sabers, and at least one or two appearances of Sailor Loon. [Image: smile.gif] I'm tapping happily away on the second chapter (which is now as big as the first chapter), and still trying to work out how to draw the second chapter to a close and point to the third. If people still wanna take a look, I've got it on my site. It's at www.cyberus.ca/~dragonflight/dead_bang/
Tell me what you think. I'm like every writer everywhere. I'll take criticism badly, but pretend I'm good with it. [Image: smile.gif]
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Print this item

Doug's Arsenal - unofficial updated list
Posted by: robkelk - 12-17-2005, 06:27 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (2)

Starting with the list that Bob posted on 24 March 2005, and adding in what we've seen in other stories (including a few fragments that Bob either wrote or hasn't objected to) and Bob's comments on songs from The Game Everyone Loves To Play, here's an updated (but unofficial and still incomplete) list of Doug's "Arsenal" that I put together as a reference for Blue Skies, Blue Water.
Since I did put this together as a writer's reference, copyright information is included if known.

Offensive:
99 Red Balloons (English re-write), Gabriela "Nena" Kerner, written by Kevin McAlea, copyright 1983. Creates 99 red balloons, which change into drone jet fighters and ICBMs mid-song and attack a target.
Another One Bites The Dust, Queen. Spectral (but damaging) machinegun bullets fire from his eyes.
Blinded By The Light, Bruce Springsteen. Flash/blinding attacks.
Dust in the Wind, Kansas, written by Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren, copyright 1977 Don Kirshner Music, Inc. Disintegration.
Fire, Arthur Brown. Flame powers, including body of fire.
Fire and Ice, Pat Benatar. Flame powers along and from his right arm, ice powers from his left.
Here Comes The Sun, The Beatles. "Sunbolt" attack from his face. Good against vampires.
Lightning's Hand, Kansas. Lightning and electrical control.
Maxwell's Silver Hammer, The Beatles. Creates a "dancing" chrome hammer which he can direct from a distance.
Pinball Wizard, The Who, copyright 1969, 1993 Fabulous Music Ltd. A rather complicated set of combat-useful abilities, plus some pointless special effects, all linked together with a pinball theme.
Saturday Night's All Right (For Fighting), Elton John. Conjures knives made of solidified energy.
Stalin's Organs, GWAR. Conjures a solidified-energy Soviet BM-8 or BM-13 "Katyusha" rocket launcher.
Steam, Peter Gabriel. Superheated steam attack.
This Corrosion, Sisters of Mercy, written by Andrew Eldritch, copyright 1987 Blackwood Music, Inc.. Lets him accelerate the chemical breakdown or decay of objects in his range.
White Wedding, Billy Idol, written by Billy Idol, copyright 1982. Conjures a solidified-energy shotgun.

Defensive:
Black Hole Sun, Soundgarden, written by Chris Cornell, copyright 1994 You Make Me Sick I Make Music. Formation and control of quantum black holes as a shield against gravity attacks. Limited offensive use.
Freewill, Rush. Renders him immune to mind and emotion control attacks.
I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor. V&V "Adaptation" power, with side effect of obnoxious self-sufficiency.
Tubthumping, Chumbawumba. Instantaneous regeneration and a "weeble" effect.

Mixed:
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2, Pink Floyd, copyright 1979 Pink Floyd Music Publishers, Inc. Shapeable force fields with the appearance of white stone blocks.
Hazy Shade of Winter, The Bangles, written by Paul Simon, copyright 1966. Ice/cold control, including ice armor.

Transportation:
Don't Stop Me Now, Queen. Flight, with some switchable flame effects.
Fly Like An Eagle, Steve Miller Band. Transformation into giant eagle; flight in eagle form timeslips forward.
Help!, The Beatles. Teleports Warriors to him. (Planetary range, cannot cross dimensional barriers.)
Highway Star, Deep Purple. Gives Doug a rather obvious bonus when taking part in an auto race.
Homeward Bound, Simon and Garfunkel, written by Paul Simon, copyright 1966. Teleportation to his current home.
I'm A Pioneer (English re-write), Sharyn Scott, from "Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-oh-ki", written by Lorraine Feather, copyright AIC-Pioneer LDC Inc. Multimach/FTL flight with variable inertia, immunity to air friction, and vacuum support.
Little Old Lady from Pasedena. This one's a se-cr-et...
Magic Carpet Ride, Steppenwolf. Flight, by way of a solid energy "magic carpet".
Ray of Light, by Madonna, written by Madonna, William Orbit, Clive Muldoon, Dave Curtis and Christine Leach, copyright 1998 Warner Brothers Records. FTL flight via transformation into virtual tachyons.
Taxi, by Tom Chapin. Conjures a flying taxi (seats four, speed approx. 200 mph) permanently surrounded by a rain storm.
Thunder Road, Bruce Springsteen. Escape hatch.
Transport of Delight, Flanders & Swann. Summons a traditional, red, double-decker lorry. If none are in the area, it creates a simalcrum of one.

Gate:
Point of Know Return, Kansas. Opens gateway from Velgarth ("Heralds of Valdemar" fanfiction setting) to MegaTokyo ("Bubblegum Crisis" OAV alternate).
The Way, Fastball, words and music by Tony Scalzo, copyright 1998. Opens gateway from MegaTokyo ("Bubblegum Crisis" OAV alternate) to ??? (???).
Working My Way Back To You Babe, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Opens gateway from Lincoln Island ("Nadia" slightly-compressed alternate) to ??? (???).

Sensory/Communication:
Electric Eye, Judas Priest. Doug becomes invisible, and gains eyesight with an unlimited viewing range (i.e., as long as it's in his LOS, he can zoom up on it in microscopic detail) and supersentive directional hearing.
Eye in the Sky, Alan Parsons Project. Mass Telepathy.
I Can See For Miles, The Who. Telescopic and X-ray vision, and ability to detect lies.
Message In A Bottle, The Police. Global distress call.
Sweet Dreams, Eurythmics. Lets Doug intrude on and interact in anyone's dream for the duration of the song.
What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy), Information Society. Telepathy, by way of turning into an energy pattern that settles in the target's brain and accesses it at will.

Mind and Emotion Control:
Aquarius, the cast of the motion picture "Hair" (Milos Forman, dir., 1979), words and music by James Rado, Gerome Ragni and Galt MacDermott, copyright 1966 Rado, Ragni and MacDermott. Area effect non-violence.
Enter Sandman, Metallica. Area effect nightmares/terror.
Firing Line, Gossamer Axe, written by Gael Baudino, copyright 1990 Gael Baudino. Forces an enemy or enemies to focus their efforts on him alone.
Men in Black, Will Smith. Area effect (including Doug) "Forget".
Pressure, Billy Joel. Area effect increase of tension and anxiety (leading to tactical errors when used in combat).
Stickers on Fruit, Nancy White. Everyone in the area of effect is fanatical about nothing but stickers on fruit for the duration.
Take Me To The Pilot, Elton John. Sort of a mind-control song. Doug vanishes, and his consciousness ends up inside a single target, acting kind of like the superego.
Tainted Love, Soft Cell. Forces people to fall out of love for the duration; handy against emotion controllers of a particularly nasty (and perverted) sort.
Tom Sawyer, Rush, written by Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart, and Pye Dubois, copyright 1981 Core Music Publishing. A "don't do anything but look at me" compulsion.
Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler. Area effect emotion control: despair and depression.
Under My Thumb, Rolling Stones, words and music by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, copyright 1966 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Mind control on a single female.

Healing and similar:
I'm Alive, Electric Light Orchestra, written by Jeff Lynne, copyright 1980 EMI-April Music, Inc. Healing.
It's All Coming Back To Me Now, Pandora's Box. Doug remembers everything he had forgotten. Then, those things he was supposed to forget would be labled as "Bad/Damaged" sectors in his mental "hard drive" and a mental SEP tagged to the whole thing so he doesn't spend time worrying about it being missing.
Twist of Fate, Olivia Newton-John, written by Stephen A. Kipner and Peter Beckett, copyright 1983 Stephen A. Kipner Music/April Music Inc./Big Stick Music Careers Music Inc. Allows Doug to contact a divine being and bargain for the resurrection of someone recently dead.

Simulacra:
AC/DC, from "Starlight Express". Summons simulacrum of Silverbolt.
On The Dark Side, John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. Summons a simulacrum of Shadowwalker.
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, The Police. Summons a simulacrum of Ai Jiao Min.
I Live In A Split Level Head, Napoleon XIV. Summons a simulacrum of Skitz.
Magic Man, Heart. Summons simulacrum of Dwimanor.
Rhiannon, Fleetwood Mac. Summons simulacrum of Rhiannon.
Song of the Jellicles, from "Cats". Summons a simulacrum of Kat.
Witchy Woman, Eagles. Summons simulacrum of Hexe.
With A Little Help From My Friends, Joe Cocker, words and music by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, copyright 1967 Northern Songs. Summons simulacra of multiple Warriors, his choice.

Weather Control:
Konya wa Hurricane, sung by Kinuko Ohmori, words and music by Aran Tomoko, copyright 1987, 1998 Artmic, Inc. & Youmex, Inc. Creates a hurricane/tornado/twister/tropical depression, under Doug's full control, with Doug in the eye. Has side-effects in a sufficiently strong magical field...

Metasongs (Affect the operation of other songs):
I'll Play For You, Seals and Crofts. Focuses an area-effect song on a single target.
Play That Song Again, Joan Jett, Ricky Bird, & Frank Carillo. Makes Doug feel like an alienated, unloved twenty-something. If this song is played through completely, the next song (started within a half-minute) lasts twice as long in the daytime, or all night in the nighttime. The second song cannot be cancelled early.

Miscellaneous:
Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better, Ethel Merman, from "Annie Get Your Gun". Lets him return any attack which hits him with bonuses to hit and to damage.
Break On Through (To The Other Side), The Doors. Punches holes in walls. Big holes. Very forcefully.
Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Doug keeps one person in his sight no matter what that person does, but Doug is also infatuated with that person.
Get Rich Quick, Richard ("Little Richard") Penniman. When played at a racetrack, the horse Doug bet on wins.
Good Morning, The Beatles. Gives immediate wake-up roll (plus one for each of his actions) to everyone in his area of effect.
I Can't Drive 55, Sammy Hagar. Boosts motorcycle speed above its normal maximums.
I'm So Hot For Her (And She's So Cold), Rolling Stones. Gives a woman of his choice ice powers while giving him fire powers.
In the Air Tonight, Phil Collins. If played at night, Doug recieves a premonition about a semi-random target's near-future actions. Target is someone Doug can recognize on sight, and either dislikes or outright despises.
Invisible Touch, Genesis, written by Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford, copyright 1985. Lets him give a suite of telekinetic powers to a woman or girl.
Joyful, Joyful/Ode to Joy, from Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Soundtrack of "Sister Act II". Doesn't seem to do anything...
Over the Top, Miki Matsubara, from "Dirty Pair: Project E.D.E.N." Cancels out any feelings that Doug can't do something, whether natural or imposed by a mind-controller, and cranks Doug up to 11.
Spirits In the Material World, The Police, written by Sting, copyright 1981 EMI Music Publishing Ltd./Magnetic Music. Invisibility and non-corporeality.
These Dreams, Heart. Illusions.
Turn It On Again, Genesis. The closest TV set to Doug starts showing his memories of people he knows in any situation he remembers, with accompanying audio over the closest radio. The song works better when Doug's showing images of Maggie, if Maggie's not present.
We Didn't Start The Fire, Billy Joel, copyright 1989 Joel Songs. Full-immersion history lesson for the second half of Warriors' World's twentieth century.
Within You, Without You, The Beatles. V&V "Cosmic Awareness" power.

Transformations:
Eye of the Tiger, Survivor. Transformation into a Siberian tiger.
Rubber Band Man, The Spinners, written by Linda Creed/Thom Bell, copyright 1971. Gives Doug a hyper-flexible body, a la Plastic Man or Mister Fantastic.
Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel. Full morph abilities.
Turn To Stone, ELO. Transforms him into an animated statue.

Just Plain Weird:
Bananaphone, Raffi. Conjures a cell phone in with the shape, coloration, and feel of a banana. The cell phone is edible.
Bulletproof, Blue Rodeo. Doug's power manifests in such a way that he's indistinguishable from a normal human for the duration of the song - no combat-hype, no improbability field, etc.
The Chain, by Fleetwood Mac, written by Lindsay Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, John McVie, and Stevie Nicks, copyright 1977 Gentoo Music, Inc., Now Sounds Music and Welsh Witch Music. Binding attack in the form of golden chains.
Freeze-Frame, J. Geils Band, composed by Seth Justman and Peter Wolf, copyright 1981 EMI/Capital. Limited timestop capability.
Hair, the cast of the motion picture "Hair" (Milos Forman, dir., 1979). Everyone in the area of effect grows a full head of hair, shoulder-length or longer, that obscures their eyes.
Hazy Shade of Winter, Simon and Garfunkel, written by Paul Simon, copyright 1966. Creates a patch of snow on the ground.
Hoplessly Human, Kansas. Used once to help cure Shadowwalker of her arrested vampirism.
I Am The Walrus, The Beatles. "Wand of Wonder" randomized effect.
I Will Follow Him, Chiffons (?). Unerring ability to track a male whom Doug personally likes.
Kodachrome, Paul Simon. Solidified energy 35 mm camera.
The Laughing Gnome, David Bowie. Summons/creates short gnomes that cooperate with Doug for the duration of the song.
Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, the Beatles. Area effect drug trip.
Montage, from "Team America". Creates a time dilation effect for Doug and someone else as X weeks of training are crammed into 3 minutes. They come out of it starved and exhausted.
(Nothing But) Flowers, Talking Heads. Transforms *all* technologically-produced items in the area of effect into flowers.
Seventy-Six Trombones, from "The Music Man". Creates a full marching band that bulldozes through the area of effect.
Weird Science, Oingo Boingo. High-speed technomagic kitbashing; all the parts must be within the area of effect.

Off-Limits Songs - Do Not Use!
Everyone Has AIDS, from "Team America". Everyone in the area of effect contracts AIDS. (Off-limits for obvious reasons.)
Piece of Crap, Neil Young. Every piece of technology in the area of effect that could malfunction would have a chance of malfunctioning. (Off-limits because Doug doesn't use Neil Young's song.)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Print this item