Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,887
» Forum posts: 211,899

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 510 online users.
» 2 Member(s) | 505 Guest(s)
Bing, Facebook, Google, Bob Schroeck, Vulpis

Latest Threads
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Shepherd
2 hours ago
» Replies: 154
» Views: 5,500
Isekai by Moonlight
Last Post: robkelk
6 hours ago
» Replies: 93
» Views: 7,296
The new Seraph's
Forum: The Legendary
Last Post: Dark Seraph
Today, 04:33 AM
» Replies: 35
» Views: 783
Crossovers That Should No...
Yesterday, 12:37 PM
» Replies: 259
» Views: 16,336
Image Thread 29
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 12:10 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 193
Weird & Interesting scien...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 08:43 AM
» Replies: 106
» Views: 7,999
Politics Video Madness II...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Last Post: Dartz
04-26-2024, 02:38 PM
» Replies: 179
» Views: 34,020
Stupid dialog, free to a ...
04-26-2024, 02:24 PM
» Replies: 131
» Views: 28,409
My Apartment Manager is n...
Forum: My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
04-26-2024, 08:15 AM
» Replies: 123
» Views: 10,762
For Bob - So I hope this ...
Forum: General DW Chatter
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
04-26-2024, 07:12 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 70

A minor Warrior's World snippet
Posted by: Kokuten - 10-19-2005, 04:22 PM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (1)

the following is intended for amusement only. And is not intended to be a 'canon' WW or DW story, merely a 6-in-the-bloody-AM-plotbunny-won't-leave-me-alone story.
So now I'm mostly retired. Instead of power armor and bank heists, I run one of the damndest meat counters you'll find in this New York city. I've always loved NY, you know, and now I guess I'm seeing a different part of it.
I'm not even mad at the Warriors. That Loon guy, he's alright. Was one of the bigwigs behind the loans that got me this place. I even shook his hand once. Good guy.
I can still remember though, laying in the Park on that cheerful sunny day.. Man, what a weird day for a bank heist, I shoulda picked one that was more gloomy..
*shakes head*
ANYway, I'm layin' in the middle of the Park feeling my armor melt off me, just melt off me like I'm the Amazing Butterman and it's a buck-twenty in the shade, and that damn music.. the music...
Like I said, I'm mostly retired. Every now and then I plan a heist, just in my mind, ya know.. just to keep in form. I gotta admit, I'm sleeping better now.
*slaps enormous belly*
And I'm definetly eating alright! That's one thing they don't tells you, crime pays damn good, but it tends to have "irregular" schedules, you know what I mean?
So yeah. _My_ life of crime is over. But I still have that one golden memory from 'After', to keep me warm at night, ya know? See, I punched that Andrew Eldritch.. I punched him right in the face!
*stares of into the distance smiling happily for a moment, then goes back to work.*[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Print this item

Doug and Thibor at Hogwarts
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 10-19-2005, 02:30 PM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (33)

This is a resurrection of a thread that I believe the Hacker destroyed -- Shayne and I started trading bits and pieces of our characters jointly teaching a DADA class at Hogwarts. I lost the spark for a while, and it stalled until it was wiped, but by chance I kept a local copy, which I'm now reposting in the hopes that we can start this thread up again.

(Shayne)
The great hall was abuzz with voices. The professor was
indisposed, but rather than cancel classes or draft one of the
other teachers to fill in, the headmaster had opted to bring in a
pair of guest lecturers for a weekend lecture to make up the lost
instruction session. Students from all of the houses were
A pair of squibs. A snide voice from the Slytherin table could
be heard, deliberately pitched to be audible throughout the room.
What a waste of time.
Not squibs. Another voice added. Ones a Protoean magus.
You mean a cripple. The other voice rejoined. What good is
magic you cant control?
The argument cut off abruptly as the doors to the great hall
swung open.

(Bob)
Two figures strode through the doors side-by-side.
"Quite a lot of good, actually," declared the one on the left, a
lithe, athletic man with short-cropped blond hair and an American
accent. From a strap he held in one hand dangled an object the
Muggle-born students recognized as a motorcycle helmet.
"Is thinking practical demonstration is in order," said the
other, a burlier fellow with dark hair and a twinkle in his eye.
His rumbling voice betrayed some Eastern European influences.
"Is thinking you're quite right," replied the first affably.
"Pick a student to terrorize," he added as he tossed the helmet
in the air. It flipped a couple of times and then dropped neatly
on his head. As he began working at the strap inside and under
his chin he turned to the class. "Good morning, kids. We're
your new instructors, Starsky and Hutch."
"No," growled the burly one as he stalked along the rows of
nervous-looking students.
"The Captain and Tennille?"
"No."
"Wayland Flowers and Madame?"
"No!"
The man with the helmet turned to the class and shrugged
eloquently. "Well, I'm sure we're *somebody*. When we figure out
*who* we'll let you know." A badly-stifled chorus of giggles
erupted from the seats closest to him. He turned to his partner.
"So, who's our lucky vic... student this morning?"

(Shayne)
Am thinking is weedy looking blonde. Thibor growled. Is
writing checks with mouth, is going to have to cash them with ar
bottom. Few is called, none is happy about it.
Thibor stopped next to the podium and stretched. He bent down and
quickly unlaced his boots, stepping out of them with ill grace.
The socks followed, stuffed haphazardly into the boots. He
straightened, the boots dangling loosely from his hands. The
blonde student watched him with an ill concealed contempt, a
sneer twisting his thin, aristocratic lips.
What are you going to do, stink me to death. A ripple of
laughter passed through the students seated around the blonde as
he got up and walked to the center aisle.
No. Am not planning on killing you. Will live through this. An
expression that could, with a little coaching, pass for a smile,
played across Thibors thick, Slavic features. Am Major Thibor
Sawchyk. International Super Teams, am not sure who partner is,
but is pretty sure is having something to do with duck. Is not
having wand. Attack.
Stupef.. The blonde student raised his wand with a quick, jerky
motion and pointed it. He was brought up short as the boots
flashed through the air, one smashing into his extended hand, the
other impacting tread first with his face. He fell backwards,
ending up square on his backside, the boot dropping into his
robed lap.
Lesson one. Is not weapon in hand that makes you dangerous. Use
what is at hand that would be grey squishy thing between ears.
That is true weapon. Thibor said, as muted laughter rose from
three of the long tables. He turned his back on the seething
blond as he addressed the other students.
Stupefy! The blondes hand scrambled against the stone floor,
recovering his lost wand. He pointed it at the center of the
instructors shoulders. The red beam passed through air as the
man easily leapt upwards. What left the ground was a man, but
what landed was not. The huge grey werewolf plucked the wand from
the blondes hand, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and
lifted him easily off the ground. There was a moment of panic
from the assembled students, and several screams as wands
appeared in hands around the room.
Sit!. Thibors voice barked out the command. He dropped the
blonde in a stunned, shaking heap on the floor. Am hereditary
werewolf. Is meaning is not infectious. Lesson two. Never take
what your opponent offers you. If foe is showing you his back,
there is reason for it. Reason is not because is stupid. Is
having their attention now.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03

Print this item

Chris -- got your email
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 10-19-2005, 02:19 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk V: Another Divine Mess You've Gotten Me Into - No Replies

Rather than risk the delivery problems we seem to be running into this week, I decided to post here. Don't worry, take your time, and get to the material when you can. I'll write on ahead -- if it's usable, great, if not, I'll stash it against future need.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03

Print this item

Not sure if this belongs here, but meh.
Posted by: VladimirTherin - 10-19-2005, 06:38 AM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (3)

Baen Webscriptions have updated, finally :-)
They seem to be getting later and later during the month :-(

Print this item

Song of the Day, 18 October 2005
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 10-18-2005, 07:43 PM - Forum: General DW Chatter - Replies (2)

Oh, deedle-dee, three tots are we,
And we're as clever as can be.
We live with Grandma Ida
And our dear old Grandpa Ned.
And little Baby Mike (the brat)
And don't forget the Siamese cat
And in the attic from Detroit is big fat Uncle Fred.
Oh, Grandpa wishes he were rich
And Grandma just complains (the bitch)
And Uncle Fred sits drunk in bed.
Mike cries all night and day.
The cat thinks that he owns the place.
He bites and scratches on the face.
It'd be so nice if they all went away.
Away! Away! Away-dee-daydee-daydee-daydee-daydee-daydee-day!
The cat is dead! The cat is dead!
I went to pat him on the head.
He didn't purr, he didn't meow.
He didn't blink or sniff.
He seemed to have a funny smile
That made me laugh but all the while
The tail that used to flip and flop got awful cold and stiff.
We chopped him into little bits
And seasoned him with apple bits.
And with some dust,
We made a crust
And put him in a pie.
Into the oven he did slip
Until the crust was nice and crisp.
I'll love that little kitty 'til I die.
I die! I didee-didee-didee-didee-didee-didee-die!
And Mikey too and Uncle Fred,
Expiring all so suddenly
While sipping down some tea.
The tea was hot,
The tea was nice,
With strychnine and a little spice
To cover up the funny taste of our conspiracy.
When Grandpa saw what we had done
He went straight for his hunting gun.
But we were quick, we stole the clip.
The rest is history.
To make sure Grandma wouldn't flee,
We gave her a lobotomy,
And now she's just as happy as can be.
Can be! Can beedle-deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle-dee!
I went to pat him on the head.
He didn't purr, he didn't meow.
He didn't blink or sniff.
He seemed to have a funny smile
That made me laugh but all the while
The tail that used to flip and flop got awful cold and stiff.
We chopped him into little bits
And seasoned him with apple bits.
And with some dust,
We made a crust
And put him in a pie.
Into the oven he did slip
Until the crust was nice and crisp.
I'll love that little kitty 'til I die.
I die! I didee-didee-didee-didee-didee-didee-die!
-- The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo, The Cat Is Dead
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item

A Non-Drunkard's Walk Teaser
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 10-18-2005, 05:12 AM - Forum: General DW Chatter - Replies (11)

I just realized that I don't have an area here for any non-DW fics I might write. I'm going to have to take care of that soon.
In the mean time, here's a little bit of something that I've been playing around with in my head for a few months, and which I've started slowly putting down in text. I'll be honest -- this is all that's written so far, and I may never get past this point with all the other things on my plate. But I thought I'd throw it out and see if it intrigues anyone. It has a title, but I don't want to reveal it at the moment. I will say that it is a post-HBP Harry Potter story.
Enjoy.
-- Bob

1. Love In The Time Of Voldemort "Someday after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides, and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. Then for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." -- Teihard de ChardinAs Bill and Fleur kissed to the chiming of silverware against glasses, Harry found the urge to vanish into the woodwork nearly overwhelming.It wasn't that he wasn't enjoying himself -- he was. He had been almost grimly determined to; their wedding marked, in his mind, the borderline between his boyhood and his manhood, and he was ekeing out the last shards of the joys of being a child before he turned the whole of his attention to... other matters. Matters of destiny.Still, it was a difficult job, having so much fun, especially when one is unprepared for the social complexities of the occasion. Hermione (with a keen memory of school dances past) had coached him, and he had so far comported himself admirably. He had danced with almost every girl close to his age, including the bride (who had, in fact, insisted on it). Fleur's younger sister Gabrielle had then monopolized him for nearly half an hour, until Ginny took it upon herself to rescue him -- but that just brought with it a different set of pressures, as they both tried to not-talk around the subject of their strange maybe-on/maybe-off sort-of possibly relationship-thing. He shook his head at his hesitation to actually say, even in his head, what it really was, and finally forced himself.*She wants ... is hoping ... to be something more permanent than just a girlfriend.*And god help him, he wanted it, too.But not yet. Love was not something he felt comfortable with yet.Not while Dumbledore's insistence that it was the "power the DarkLord knows not" still loomed large in his mind.Before matters went farther than he wanted, though, he'd managed to distract Ginny with her mother, who -- even with the demonstration of Fleur's sincere devotion to Bill after he had been savaged by Greyback -- was still of two minds about her part-Veela daughter-in-law. Spotting Mrs. Weasley about to have what Hermione had started euphemistically calling "a bad moment", he'd launched Ginny at her and then retreated to the furthest wall of the Burrow's dining room. Given that the room had been magically expanded to make extra space for the reception dinner, that was a lot further than it normally was -- a fact for which he gave profuse but silent thanks.As the newlyweds continued to kiss, Harry noticed that he was both near an exit, and (for the first time in some minutes) unwatched by anybody at the party. He took advantage of the opportunity to slip out of the room unobserved. Padding silently through the twilit Burrow, he made his way to the stairwell that led to the upstairs bedrooms, pausing in front of the door to the room that had once belonged to Fred and George. After a moment's thought, he pushed it open.Then, without thinking about it, he stepped aside to avoid the curse boobytrap that went off when he did. The beam of azure light splattered on the floor behind him, fizzed, and faded.Stepping inside, he glanced around. A pair of desks with chairs. Two beds, ready and waiting for the twins, although they would not be sleeping there tonight. (Not with floo and apparating and portkeys... unlike a Muggle wedding, there would be no guests staying the night in the spare rooms and on the couches. No guests but himself, Harry noted wryly.)Still treading softly, Harry crossed to one of the desks and pulled out its chair. He lowered himself gently into the hard wooden seat, slumping against the back and one armrest as he looked out the windows, across the garden, at the setting crescent moon.He had a good deal of thinking to do.* * *"Harry?" Cautiously, Hermione poked her head through the narrow space between the door and its frame, and peered into Fred and George's room, and immediately spied Harry sitting with his back to her. She pulled her head back out and hissed, "Ron, he's in here!" Then she pushed the door open just enough to let her slip into the darkened room."Harry?" she repeated from several feet closer. Behind her, Ron entered silently, then shut the door behind them. As Harry continued to stare out the window wordlessly, he stepped up to Hermione and put a hand on her shoulder. She looked up at her boyfriend and shook her head.Ron's eyebrows narrowed for a moment. "Harry, mate? Want to talk about it?"Harry didn't reply for a long time. Hermione was almost ready to explode, to dash over to him and shake him, to get any kind of response from him, when he finally spoke. He never took his eyes off the moon -- now almost hidden by the distant treeline. "I don't understand it."Ron and Hermione shared a puzzled look. "What don't you understand, Harry?" Hermione asked quietly.Still staring out the window, Harry said, "I've been watching Bill and Fleur all night. I've been watching you, two, also. I think I finally know what love looks like." He shook his head, the motion only visible in the shadows because of the setting moon backlighting him. Hermione blushed at his words, thankful that he hadn't turned around, and squeezed Ron's hand. As Ron squeezed back, Harry went on. "Professor Dumbledore said that the power I have that Voldemort knows not is love, is my ability to love." He shook his head again. "But how can love be a weapon? What can you do with it?""I've thought," Hermione offered hesitantly, "that it means that the people you have on your side will be there because of love, and they'll be more faithful and steadfast than Voldemort's minions, who serve out of fear or self-interest."Ron nudged her, and in the half-light of the darkened room she could see him silently mouth a question at her just as Harry asked, "But what difference does that make?"She suppressed the urge to (gently!) swat the back of his head, and instead let a familiar exasperation filter into her tone. "It makes a lot of difference, Harry. Those who serve from love will stick with you through the worst the enemy can throw at you. Those who serve out of self-interest will abandon their commander the moment it looks too dangerous." Some smugness crept into her voice to join the exasperation. "I'll let you figure out which side has the advantage then."He shook his head again. "That can't be the only answer.""It's the only one that make sense," Hermione insisted."No." Harry turned slowly from the window just at the moment the last bit of the moon vanished behind the distant tree line. "I can't accept that. I can't believe that 'the power the Dark Lord knows not' would be my ability to send someone else willingly into danger." Even in the dim light of the room, they could see his hands clench. "I can't allow that. No one should have to risk themselves for me. There has to be some other answer."A faint sound of laughter drifted up from the lower level of the Burrow, followed by muted applause. Harry simply sat staring at them, the lenses of his glasses gleaming ever-so-slightly with reflections of the dim light from the hall.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item

Looking for an HP fic
Posted by: zerosum - 10-16-2005, 06:48 AM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (2)

...that was mentioned some time back.
I can't find it in any of the threads I've searched, so
I suspect it vanished in a forum crash.
The fic in question had an organization known as
T.I.C.K.L.E., and either they or some other group
of bad guys were trying to get Harry and Hermione
together.
That's all I can remember. Any assistance will be
greatly appreciated.
-z

Print this item

Inspired by the October 13 Song of the Day
Posted by: robkelk - 10-16-2005, 01:00 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (3)

She asks me why,
I'm just a hairy guy.
She asks me why,
I'm just a hairy guy.
I'm hairy noon and night,
Hair that's a fright.
I'm hairy high and low,
Don't ask me why, don't know.
It's not for lack of bread, like the Grateful Dead, darlin',
Give me a head with hair,
Long beautiful hair,
Shining, gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen,
Give me down to there hair,
Shoulder length or longer,
Here, baby, there, momma, ev'rywhere, daddy, daddy,
Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair.
Flow it, show it, long as God can grow it, my hair.
I let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees,
Give a home to the fleas in my hair,
A home for fleas (yeah)
A hive for bees (yeah)
A nest for birds,
There ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor,
The wonder of my
I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy,
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty,
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining,
Gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen,
Knotted, polka dotted, twisted, beaded, braided,
Powdered, flowered and confettied,
Bangled, tangled, spangled and spaghettied.
Oh say, can you see my eyes?
If you can then my hair's too short.
Down to here, down to there,
Down to there, down to where it stops by itself.
They'll be ga ga at the go go when they see me in my toga,
My toga made of blond, brilliantined, biblical hair.
My hair like Jesus wore it,
Hallelujah, I adore it,
Hallelujah; Mary loved her son, why don't my mother love me?
Flow it, show it, long as God can grow it, my
Hair that's a fright.
I'm hairy high and low,
Don't ask me why, don't know.
It's not for lack of bread, like the Grateful Dead, darlin',
Give me a head with hair,
Long beautiful hair,
Shining, gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen,
Give me down to there hair,
Shoulder length or longer,
Here, baby, there, momma, ev'rywhere, daddy, daddy,
I let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees,
Give a home to the fleas in my hair,
A home for fleas (yeah)
A hive for bees (yeah)
A nest for birds,
There ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor,
The wonder of my
I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy,
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty,
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining,
Gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen,
Knotted, polka dotted, twisted, beaded, braided,
Powdered, flowered and confettied,
Bangled, tangled, spangled and spaghettied.
Oh say, can you see my eyes?
If you can then my hair's too short.
Down to here, down to there,
Down to there, down to where it stops by itself.
They'll be ga ga at the go go when they see me in my toga,
My toga made of blond, brilliantined, biblical hair.
My hair like Jesus wore it,
Hallelujah, I adore it,
Hallelujah; Mary loved her son, why don't my mother love me?
Hair, from the musical Hair
Another "utility" song, this one grows a full head of hair (shoulder length or longer) on everyone in the area of effect.
This is most useful for people recovering from chemotherapy, of course.
It also has the combat effect of (a) making helmets no longer fit properly, and (b) obscuring everyone's vision. ("Oh say, can you see my eyes? If you can then my hair's too short.") It also pisses off anyone who thinks men shouldn't wear their hair longer than a crewcut, as they suddenly have at least a shoulder-length bob...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Print this item

Minor plot bunny, HP style
Posted by: Wolff - 10-14-2005, 12:09 AM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - No Replies

This just won't leave me alone. I came up with it while making dog biscuits today:
Hermione as a closet Counter-Strike junkie. I can just see her standing over a Death Eater's corpse and saying "J00 D34d, F00."
If someone wants to take this and run with it, be my guest. I do, however, reserve the right to use it myself some day.
-W, who has way too much time to think."Ah, great. More androids." "We're not androids, we're the Knight Sabers!" "Huh. Frederick's of Hollywood has a line of power armor out. Who knew?"Falling out of aeroplanes and hiding out in holes

Waiting for the sunset to come, people going home

Jump out from behind them and shoot them in the head

Now everybody dancing the dance of the dead

Print this item

Song of the Day, 13 October 2005
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 10-13-2005, 02:12 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk V: Another Divine Mess You've Gotten Me Into - Replies (4)

Good morning, Starshine,
The earth says hello.
You twinkle above us,
We twinkle below.
Good morning, Starshine,
You lead us along.
My love and me as we sing
Our early morning singing song.
Gliddy gloop gloopy
Nibby nabby noopy
La la la lo lo
Sabba sibby sabba
Nooby abba nabba
Le le lo lo
Dooby ooby walla
Nooby abba naba
Early morning singing song
Good morning, Starshine,
The earth says hello.
You twinkle above us,
We twinkle below.
Good morning, Starshine,
You lead us along.
Our early morning singing song.
Gliddy gloop gloopy
Nibby nabby noopy
La la la lo lo
Sabba sibby sabba
Nooby abba nabba
Le le lo lo
Dooby ooby walla
Nooby abba naba
Good morning, Starshine,
There's love in your skies,
Reflecting the sunlight
In my lover's eyes.
Good morning, Starshine,
So happy to be
Our early morning singing song...
Gliddy gloop gloopy
Nibby nabby noopy
La la la lo lo
Sabba sibby sabba
Nooby abba nabba
Le le lo lo
Dooby ooby walla
Nooby abba naba
Singing a song
Humming a song
Singing a song
Loving a song
Laughing a song
Singing a song
Sing the song
Song song song sing
Sing sing sing sing song
-- Donovan, Good Morning, Starshine (from the musical Hair)

-- Bob
---------

Print this item