Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"NRA in disarray: Infighting threatens gun group's future"
"NRA in disarray: Infighting threatens gun group's future"
NRA in disarray: Infighting threatens gun group's future

So, is this yet another "looking from the outside and indulging in wishful thinking" piece, or is there something to it?

Although this part definitely isn't wishful thinking - it's statistics:
Quote:The United States, which accounts for just under five per cent of the world's population, now has 46 per cent of all civilian-owned guns.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: "NRA in disarray: Infighting threatens gun group's future"
I'm sure they'll remain united in their religious worship of phallic compensation and the murder of children, Jews, Muslims and blacks.
Quote:So, is this yet another "looking from the outside and indulging in wishful thinking" piece, or is there something to it?
There's enough to it that Trump is bleating about NY State performing an "illegal investigation" into the NRA.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Please, that's just 'people are saying things I don't like'. That fucks comments have increasingly little to do with reality. That shit he was saying about doctors murdering babies still has me furious.
Here is an explainer for the situation: The NRA’s big, bad financial mismanagement crisis, explained

Makes for very interesting reading. Imagine being such an absolute shit organization that Oliver North -- Oliver fucking North -- is too ethical for you.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
The problem is really the lack of another prominent and effective front for keeping all you "gun control was the one thing the Nazi Party had right" types countered. But, governance is more complex than a single issue, and with the state of the Republican Party them getting one thing right in protecting the second amendment is not enough to keep the lines drawn so firmly (supporting Trump based on that one issue despite everything else was where I personally decided enough was enough) and when someone's been holding back from saying, "no, this shit is bogus" long enough and decides it's time to air the laundry, there can be some remarkable messes brought to light. It remains to be seen just how far the cracks will spread.
--
‎noli esse culus
(04-30-2019, 07:59 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: I'm sure they'll remain united in their religious worship of phallic compensation and the murder of children, Jews, Muslims and blacks.

..... you know, I’m just gonna quote what I said earlier, just so you know how insulted I feel.  It’s less troublesome.

(04-17-2019, 11:45 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: But hey, I'm just some gun nut from Texas.  Ya'll oughta lock up your kids whenever I roll around, because wanting to go to the firing range and squeeze off a few rounds in a controlled environment makes me into a mass murderer just waiting to happen.

I’m serious. Y’all need to quit painting us with the same goddamned brush. Just because the system is corrupt now doesn’t mean the rest of us are comfortable with the way things are as they stand.  So kindly, please fuck off with that kind of talk - or at the very least be A LOT MORE SPECIFIC ABOUT WHO YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT.

As to the NRA itself? I’ve already stated that I hope they die in a fire. They’re a malignant tumor in America’s gun ownership culture.
I meant the NRA, not the average gun owner. Specifically, its leadership and those in its ranks that have abandoned logic and reason for blind fanaticism.

On a more general note, while I am very pro gun control, I am not anti-gun. A childhood of rabbit, duck and fox hunting is where I learned to fear and respect them, after all.
Black, the average, responsible gun owner means nothing to any debate on gun control because they don't partake in the debate. It's the rabid gun fetishists on the one side versus those who have very reasonable fears of exactly who gets access to guns and how easily they get it. And caught in the middle are those who are very, very tired of having to bury another class of children, or a good chunk of a parish's worshipers.

You want to not get painted with the same brush as the gun fetishists? Get them out of the public discourse as those speaking for the gun owners, or at least get a strong counterpoint where gun owners actively and loudly call them out and condemn them. Because right now, those fetishists are the only gun owners who are politically active on the question of gun ownership.
I considered not posting this one, but yeah. We're "supposed to be" discussing the NRA here, not firearms.

Last Sunday's editorial on The Sunday Edition, Financial scandals, moral outrage are finally putting a dent in NRA's political firepower, may be of interest. Just keep in mind that it is an editorial.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
So, LaPierre has been spending the organization's money on himself so he could live lavishly? Color me not surprised.