Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020, the election campaigns have begun
RE: 2020, the election campaigns have begun
Well of course! Americans loyal to Trump will trust in his unprecedented leadership and amazing intelligence to keep them safe from the coronavirus and vote at normal polling places like God intended for all straight white men! As for the rest, why, they're hardly Americans at all, are they? They should stop trying to steal the election and just go back where they came from! /s

I know I'm amazed at his lack of respect for precedent, at any rate...
--
‎noli esse culus
.... You know, the next time someone tells me, "You lost, get over it" WRT Trump being President, I'll remind them that they lost the Civil War over 150 years ago and they still haven't gotten over it.

EDIT I swear to God that I'm gonna find myself some bumper stickers with the Nazi swastika and the words "WHITE POWER" and slap them next to every pro-Trump bumper sticker I see around here.
At least they are admitting that they cannot hold on to power without voter suppression, which we knew, but now we don’t have to pretend that the party doesn’t mean it.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
What exactly does a U.S. vice-president do?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
AP: Trump won't leave office peacefully, his former lawyer Cohen claims in upcoming book

Quote:Earlier in the day, Cohen had released the book's foreword, writing of his estranged former boss, "He wouldn't mind if I was dead."

In the foreword, dated in March, Cohen writes he's "certain that Trump knows he will face prison time if he leaves office," pointing to legal problems that continue to swirl around the president, including an apparent investigation into Trump Organization tax claims.

"Trump will never leave office peacefully," Cohen writes. "The types of scandals that have surfaced in recent months will only continue to emerge with greater and greater levels of treachery and deceit. If Trump wins another four years, these scandals will prove to only be the tip of the iceberg."

Nothing that Dems haven't been saying all along, but this comes from a lawyer who used to work directly for the Nicknamer-in-Chief.

Quote:As with testimony he gave to Congress before heading to prison, Cohen writes in the book that Trump was interested in pursuing a hotel project in Moscow well into the 2016 presidential campaign despite denying ties to Russia.

"I know because I personally ran that deal and kept Trump and his children closely informed of all updates, even as the candidate blatantly lied to the American people," says Cohen.

Since becoming president, Cohen says, Trump has "become the worst version of himself."

The U.S. government dropped its effort to silence Cohen late last month after an agreement was reached between government lawyers and Cohen lawyer Danya Perry that lifted a ban on Cohen speaking publicly.

That last sentence sounds like a First Amendment violation to me.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It also sounded like a First Amendment violation to the judge.

It wasn't 'an agreement' AFAIK, it was 'the judge telling the US government off for abusing its discretion on permitting prisoners a leave of absence from prison, and forcing them to follow the previous agreement'. Not least of which because they first allowed him to leave prison for home confinement due to the ongoing pandemic, but when they found out he was writing that book they chucked him back in.
Nicknamer-in-Chief says mail-in ballots are acceptable - so that he can vote in the Florida election.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The moment it seems like he'd lose in Florida, or any other state, because of mail in ballots that voting system is evil again.
Well, here's a couple of ... interest grabbing ... reports:

Post Office warns at least 3 swing states that mail-in ballots ‘may not be delivered’ on time

States with Democratic governors, of course.

Top DHS officials Wolf and Cuccinelli are not legally eligible to serve in the roles Trump placed them as “acting” Department heads

I don't know how credible Rawstory is or isn't as a news source, and even I know the Washington Post is firmly anti-Trump, but with both of these quoting strongly worded official material produced by the agencies in question I expect there's not much need for bias.
--
‎noli esse culus
USPS has started reducing post office operating hours across several states and removing their iconic blue letter collection boxes as it faces intense pressure to deal with millions of mail-in ballots this fall, according to union officials
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/politics/...index.html
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Do FedEx and UPS not have small-pouch service (essentially mail, but not legally allowed to call it that)?

Does the USPS not have a way to subcontract mail movement?

Yes, it'll cost money to bring in a "swing shift", but at least these particular groups know how to get items to their destinations on time. And the government of Canada has shown how wide the money taps can be turned on when something needs to be done right now. You aren't going to say the USA can't do something that Canada can do, eh?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I dunno Rob, let's ask our respective health care systems... as soon as it's safe to open the border so we can convene a panel to discuss it.
--
‎noli esse culus
Co-opt & Corrupt: How Trump Bent and Broke the GOP | by Ruth Ben-Ghiat | The New York Review of Books
https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/08/12...e-the-gop/

I don’t think Trump bent and broke the GOP, because the GOP was already bent and broken, and it started showing its fascist turn with Gingrich’s Contract with America. Trump just took them where they were heading anyway faster.

For the first year ever, there were more H-1B visas ("green cards") available than were requested. There will be a second lottery to award the leftovers.

Quote:This sort of shortfall is unheard of: the H-1B visa system is usually maxed out. Perhaps America's bungled response to the coronavirus pandemic, and the ensuing travel restrictions, may have put off applicants. Or those selected could not file their petitions because their paperwork must specify the company they will work for in the US, and their specific role, and amid the economic uncertainty, those positions were scrapped, ending their H-1B journeys.

Or perhaps because President Trump threw the H-1B system into doubt late June by banning new visa holders from entering the country until the end of the year, plus or minus some caveats. Those selected in the first lottery were due to start work in the States from October, if their petitions were successful.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
USPS management will now be suspending the removal of collection boxes. That is at best a token gesture, considering the number of collection boxes and sorting machines that have already been removed, and which USPS has made no commitment to return to service.
https://twitter.com/newsdamian/status/12...6289898497

Rob: FedEx and UPS have made it clear they don't want that job.

Also, my reading between the lines of "they won't get money to help with mail in voting via the Post Office", I'm interpreting it to mean, "if they want the Post Office bailed out and continued, mail in voting needs to be ceased."

Also, we've always used the government drop box closest to us here when we drop our mail in ballots. Probably doubly important now with such an effort to hobble the whole process.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Worse, FedEx and UPS often use the USPS for the final leg of delivery, especially for isolated and rural areas. I mean, there's no way to turn a profit in those areas for them otherwise.

And until the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 hamstrung its operations, the USPS turned a profit despite the fact that it is and remains a government organization subject to the rules and regulations of the government. It's AFAIK the only government organization mentioned in the original Constitution of the United States that isn't Congress, the judiciary and the presidency. It's not required to turn a profit, it's supposed to make sure letters and packages get send and delivered wherever there are US citizens to send and deliver to.
Two weeks ago, The Atlantic ran this piece by a former Republican.  It's about wargaming what Trump might do post-election.

Quote:The sessions began with scenarios of what might happen on Election Day—a big Biden win, a narrow Biden win, a Trump win in the Electoral College coupled with a loss in the popular vote—and then played war games to ponder what might follow. The goal was not to make predictions, but rather to test scenarios and identify potential weak points in the system. The approach is common in the national-security world, but has not often before been applied to domestic politics.
The bad news is that there is a lot of mischief that can be done within the legal boundaries by a determined president, especially with the compliance of the attorney general and enough political allies in the state capitals.
And even in the scenarios in which Biden’s team eventually won—that is, secured possession of the White House at noon on Inauguration Day, 2021—Team Trump by then had thoroughly poisoned the political system.
It diverted public resources to Trump personally.
It preemptively pardoned Trump associates and family members, and tried to pardon Trump himself from criminal charges including money laundering and tax evasion.
It intentionally tried to cause long-term economic damage so as to prevent early economic recovery—and boost Republican chances in the 2022 elections.
It destroyed, hid, or privatized public records.
It tried to sabotage the census to favor Republican redistricting after 2020.
It refused to cooperate with the incoming administration during the transition period, in ways that aggravated both the pandemic response and economic recovery.
And it sowed pervasive mistrust in the integrity of U.S. elections in ways that would polarize and embitter U.S. politics long after 2020.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
That's a fairly empty article. It needed to be at least twice as long.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Our long national nightmare of not deliberately killing diabetes patients is finally over.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/15/us/po...-mail.html

(08-16-2020, 08:41 AM)Dartz Wrote: That's a fairly empty article. It needed to be at least twice as long.

https://paxsims.files.wordpress.com/2020...8-3-20.pdf

Here ya go, full report
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
On at least 2 scenarios, January 20th arrives with no clear winner in the White House, and the question about what happens to the nuclear weapons, or what the military will do, up in the air.

It is clear that a lot of the system's functionality depends on the good faith of its participants.

One wonders how long that will survive.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(08-16-2020, 12:36 PM)Dartz Wrote: On at least 2 scenarios, January 20th arrives with no clear winner in the White House,

There's a line of succession: President (would be vacant), Vice-President (would be vacant), Speaker of the House (would still be Pelosi if they haven't met and selected a new Speaker).

So... the Dems would have control, if only temporarily.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
hey Silverfang, was that supposed to be an article about the postal service, or is it linking to the wrong article?
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(08-16-2020, 12:36 PM)Dartz Wrote: On at least 2 scenarios, January 20th arrives with no clear winner in the White House, and the question about what happens to the nuclear weapons, or what the military will do, up in the air.

The constitution states that the president's term ends on midday, January 20th, irrespective of whether another one has been elected or not.
If the election is still being contested, you would hope that the Secret Service agents do the right thing and at the stroke of midday that day, they arrest Trump for tresspassing into the White House.