Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread.
RE: [OOC][Fun] Image thread? Image thread.
(12-22-2021, 09:33 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Could you throw a generic human or a human-bounding-box dudeslab (180x60x40cm should allow even a fairly tall and wide dude elbow room to carry things and/or wear a silly hat and clown shoes, as a WAG) in there? It's a little hard to judge with just the furniture, but actual working space around the table and stools looks awfully tight in that kitchenette.

Working space is awfully tight in that kitchenette.

There were a lot of things wrong with that environment that I've managed to fix. (For example, the free-standing lamp plugged into the wall; now it plugs into a power socket mounted on the wall. And the balcony doors now lead out to a balcony about as big as Chidori's balcony in Full Metal Panic! instead of going immediately to a railing.)

I've got a floor-plan render going now, and then it'll be time to rip-and-replace the existing furniture and put in something more appropriate for the amount of space there is in one of these units. I'll see what I have in the way of teenage girls to populate the place when I do that.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Oh good. The round table and stools are cute and all, but a rectangular one with folding side-leaves to turn it from two places on the ends to add two places on either side with the leaf up would be a lot more practical, or even a breakfast bar type counter on the open side facing the TV area. The latter would open up the floor in the kitchen a lot, but might require shortening the workspace on the near side of the range and also restricts the ability to shuffle the table and couches around for a bigger lounge area to accommodate larger numbers of guests there, so it's a bit of a tradeoff.
--
‎noli esse culus
(12-22-2021, 09:41 PM)robkelk Wrote: I've got a floor-plan render going now,

Which has finally finished. I've reoriented the render so that north is at the top of the image.

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Neat! I'm gonna have to come up with some floor plans myself here and make sure I have the measurements in both Metric and US Customary. I think I did a pretty good job of describing the apartment units here, but as the old saw goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Of course, the set is only useful if I have people to put into it. (River Tam is easy - there's plenty of young Summer Glau models out there. But she doesn't live at Blossom...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Adding a person to the scene and then trying to render crashed my system - I'll have to do some research on why. In the mean time, no render with a person...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The engineer in me is like, OK

That's what the architect wants --- but how does the building actually 'work'. Where does the heat and hot water come from? How is it ventilated? How do you bill the residents for heat/hot water/electricity as is legal.

--- how has it been done just a bit shitty and unpleasant because the engineer is doing 'what's not wrong' rather than ruinning the risk of doing what's right. What leaks and doesn't work or always breaks?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Heh, I'm a little like Dartz.  For Aria House, I started by looking at the actual building, and then thinking about how they'd run plumbing to it.  Electricity can go everywhere, but sewage goes downhill.  Basically there are two apartment designs, one interior, and the other with windows on the side.  The ones with the exteriors are a little bigger, intended to be rented for a higher rate.  All of them have a sliding glass door and a balcony, so that pushes the living room away from the entrance, and towards the balcony where there is more light.

There are 8 apartments per floor, 3 floors.  The ground floor is parking, because it's California, and made of concrete.  Below that are piles driven into the sandy soil to support the building.  The plumbing set up so that the apartments are nearly mirror images of each other, so there are only four zones in the building you have to run pipes and ducts -- on the walls between the bathrooms and kitchens. There's also an elevator running up the middle.  It's slow.  Slow enough that people tend to take the stairs just to avoid riding in it -- but it's nice when you got a lot to carry.  Some of the folks on the third floor can fly so that's convenient.

I looked at some plans, and based on the size of the building, there's enough room for 2 bedrooms, a living room with an half-open kitchen, a tiny laundry room, and a balcony.  So that's what they get.  It's a bit like one of my apartments in college, but with less windows because "inner" apartments exist.  I've been wondering if I could fit in those tubular skylights into the inner apartments -- otherwise it's going to be hard to get natural light into people's bedrooms.  No central heat or aircon because this is coastal California.  (My house was built with no insulation.)  There's a wall heater in each living room which will get that room too warm, and the bedrooms still too cold.  It's gas, so thus it is near the kitchen.

I'm not even sure what the walls and floors are like.  Probably as manager I'm in the process of ripping out the old carpets.  White walls are incrediboring but every apartment I've been in has had them.  My first set of tenants are the ones who help me the most, and also pretty much hate modernist design being from Neo Venezia, so I'm sure there will be talks.  Craftsman design is setting-appropriate, even for apartments and not bungalows, but it's a hell of a lot more expensive than IKEA.  The fact Alice doesn't have a four-poster bed like she used to is a continuing source of conflict.

@Rob: Add a Ruby Rose for reference.  That's what RT does for all of their stills, so we can compare. Smile
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I guess I cheated. I got the actual floor plans for the apartments at Douglass Gardens.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-24-2021, 11:28 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I guess I cheated.  I got the actual floor plans for the apartments at Douglass Gardens.

Same here for the Windsor Lofts building
(12-24-2021, 05:42 AM)Labster Wrote: Heh, I'm a little like Dartz.  For Aria House, I started by looking at the actual building, and then thinking about how they'd run plumbing to it.  Electricity can go everywhere, but sewage goes downhill.  Basically there are two apartment designs, one interior, and the other with windows on the side.  The ones with the exteriors are a little bigger, intended to be rented for a higher rate.  All of them have a sliding glass door and a balcony, so that pushes the living room away from the entrance, and towards the balcony where there is more light.

There are 8 apartments per floor, 3 floors.  The ground floor is parking, because it's California, and made of concrete.  Below that are piles driven into the sandy soil to support the building.  The plumbing set up so that the apartments are nearly mirror images of each other, so there are only four zones in the building you have to run pipes and ducts -- on the walls between the bathrooms and kitchens. There's also an elevator running up the middle.  It's slow.  Slow enough that people tend to take the stairs just to avoid riding in it -- but it's nice when you got a lot to carry.  Some of the folks on the third floor can fly so that's convenient.

I looked at some plans, and based on the size of the building, there's enough room for 2 bedrooms, a living room with an half-open kitchen, a tiny laundry room, and a balcony.  So that's what they get.  It's a bit like one of my apartments in college, but with less windows because "inner" apartments exist.  I've been wondering if I could fit in those tubular skylights into the inner apartments -- otherwise it's going to be hard to get natural light into people's bedrooms.  No central heat or aircon because this is coastal California.  (My house was built with no insulation.)  There's a wall heater in each living room which will get that room too warm, and the bedrooms still too cold.  It's gas, so thus it is near the kitchen.

Central heat is pretty much a given in Canada. Central air as well, if the place has forced-air heating. I need to remember to add some air vents to the floors or lower walls of the apartment... as soon as I can find some. At least the walls in the model are thick enough that one can assume the presence of air and water piping, and power and data cables. (I've seen digital models where the walls aren't even as thick as sheetrock. Those are not useful for this project, thank you.)

As for billing for heat, power, and water, Canada allows for an all-utilities-included rent plan. It's up to the landlord to pay all those bills. (Granted, this gives the tenants no incentive to economize on heat, power, or water, but it does give the landlord incentive to fix any leaking pipes or uninsulated roofs.)

(12-24-2021, 05:42 AM)Labster Wrote: ...  The fact Alice doesn't have a four-poster bed like she used to is a continuing source of conflict.

You're just going to have to get her one for her birthday.

(12-24-2021, 05:42 AM)Labster Wrote: @Rob: Add a Ruby Rose for reference.  That's what RT does for all of their stills, so we can compare. Smile

Alas...
(12-23-2021, 02:54 PM)robkelk Wrote: Adding a person to the scene and then trying to render crashed my system - I'll have to do some research on why. In the mean time, no render with a person...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"My website about Onee-sama updates in real time!"

[Image: __misaka_mikoto_and_gekota_toaru_majutsu...79b5d3.jpg]

(larger version here)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Perhaps Onee-sama might desire a doll for her birthday?"

[Image: __shirai_kuroko_and_gekota_toaru_majutsu...47bb92.jpg]

Of course, Mikoto takes the Gekota doll... Smile

(Larger version here. The artist has two images on Safebooru; the other one is of Madoka. EDIT: More on pixiv)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One more before I go do something else.

Besties!

[Image: __chibi_usa_and_tomoe_hotaru_bishoujo_se...810a30.jpg]

Source
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Psst! Rob!

[Image: y9LRF1a.png]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13b5Rlgg...sp=sharing

If you were going to rig it for animation, the knob on one end should travel about a quarter turn to flip the shutters from open to closed, and the shutters rotate in opposite directions. It should be 1cm per unit, so it fits in a 8 x 30 cm cutout.

As the creator of the model, I officially name it as CC-0 material, free for all purposes. Happy solstice-adjacent holiday Smile
--
‎noli esse culus
It's exactly what I wanted! But I didn't get you anything...

Thanks very much for the model, classicdrogn.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"If you want my old outfit, you can have it. But don't wear it around me!"

"Sure, I can do that."

[Image: __aino_minako_artemis_and_mimete_bishouj...fe31d2.jpg]

(Shrunk to half size; larger copy here.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, they are Sailor Senshi...

Okay, pixiv doesn't like image embedding. You'll have to go there to see it.

EDIT: Or I could download and repost it... d'oh. Resized to half size.

.jpg   Summer Outer Senshi (resized).jpg (Size: 92.23 KB / Downloads: 234)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A little something for the Obligatory Beach Episode

Larger version at pixiv
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We've secretly replaced Ami Mizuno with Steel Angel Saki, and vice-versa. Let's see whether anyone notices.

.jpg   91277380_p0_master1200.jpg (Size: 110.65 KB / Downloads: 220)

Hmmmmm... Assuming they get hair tints (or wigs), it's possible nobody would notice.

So, Saki visits Blossom from ... er ... hey, why aren't the Steel Angels and their associated humans in the Metacontinuity yet? Can we squeeze ten more displacees into the steampunk residence with the Imperial Flower Troupe/Troop? ... Er ... hey, why aren't the Hanagumi in the Metacontinuity yet?

(EDIT: No, we aren't waiting for Arc 2 for Steampunk. The Counter-Earths are currently listed as being High Fantasy, Post-Apocalypse, Cyberpunk, Shiny-Happy, and Four-Color Metahumans... although the only ones we've mentioned wanting to do something with so far are High Fantasy (Lodoss/Rune Soldier Louie) and Shiny-Happy (Starfleet).)

(Image source)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Pixiv, so no embedding... and a shrunken copy loses the look on Entchen's face.

"Fakir, you got some 'splaining to do!"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-28-2021, 02:19 PM)robkelk Wrote: Pixiv, so no embedding... and a shrunken copy loses the look on Entchen's face.

"Fakir, you got some 'splaining to do!"

The artist is right, the score to Swan Lake is really very good.  Even if you think ballet is boring, you can think of it as a concert and the music itself is worth it.  Except for the people who think classical music is boring too, but honestly I've already put them on my "dead to me" board.

Anyway, this is canon for us, right?

[Image: InfoTheoryColoredFingerNails.jpg]

I know it's been posted in the other forum before, but once again here: Sailor Moon Mini-Mangas
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Huh. That's a question maybe I should have Doug ask at some point...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-30-2021, 06:23 PM)Labster Wrote: Anyway, this is canon for us, right?

Sure, why not? But only Minako's nail polish glows. Ami's ripples and flows (as does Michiru's), Rei's burns, Makoto's crackles, Haruka's cracks like parched desert land, Setsuna's ages like a bad time-lapse movie, Hotaru's becomes something completely different, and Usagi's heals everybody else's. Because "elemental affinities".

(12-30-2021, 06:23 PM)Labster Wrote: I know it's been posted in the other forum before, but once again here: Sailor Moon Mini-Mangas

Looking at the first two, now you know why I only say that snowball fights happen off-screen in my stories instead of actually showing them.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not quite Botticelli; the pose is wrong, for one thing. But I could see this as her volunteering as a model for her classmates' fine-art classes, and it gets the general idea across while still being safe for high school.

[Image: __aino_minako_sailor_venus_artemis_and_s...762b51.jpg]

Source

(There's a couple more by the same artist that I thought worth pointing out, here and here.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown