Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki, part II
RE: [OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki, part II
(11-21-2021, 09:10 PM)robkelk Wrote: With displacees continuing to appear after September 2016, I'm beginning to regret hardcoding "as of September 2016" into the age field of the displacee infobox.

Anybody mind if I add "Birth Date on the character's Metacontinuity ID", and if that's present suppress display of "Birthday" and "Age"? There'll be some short-term pain as the current infoboxes are updated, but long-term gain in that we won't have to keep updating the infoboxes as characters get older.

(11-22-2021, 01:46 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Sounds like a good idea to me.  This is part of why we aren't really pushing to "publish" just yet - we still have a lot of kinks like these to work out.

This functionality is now in the infobox.

As of this posting, the fields that the displacee list will take, and the order they'll be displayed in, are:
Code:
{{Infobox Displacee
| title =
| image =
| caption =
| Residence =
| Origin =
| Metacontinuity Arrival Date =
| Metacontinuity Birth Date =
| Birthday =
| Age =
| Height =
| Blood Type =
| Three Sizes =
}}

If there is no image, "Caption" will not display.
If there is a Metacontinuity Birth Date, "Birthday" and "Age" will not display... but they can still be pulled out of the infoboxes and shown on the data-mining pages.

(12-03-2021, 01:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: Note to either self or Labster, whoever has time to do it first: We need to import "Template:Date table sorting" and its prerequisites from Wikipedia to our wiki.

And this is why we need "Template:Date table sorting" from Wikipedia - so that we can display the arrival date and birth date in a consistent easy-to-read format and be able to sort on either field on the data-mining pages. (And, possibly, do some actual automated number-crunching instead of just displaying text, if anybody wants to do that down the line.)

EDIT: Now to actually populate the "Metacontinuity Birth Date" entries... which depend on the "Metacontinuity Arrival Date" entries, so pages created for Arc 2 characters can't get these yet.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(12-09-2021, 12:27 PM)robkelk Wrote: EDIT: Now to actually populate the "Metacontinuity Birth Date" entries... which depend on the "Metacontinuity Arrival Date" entries, so pages created for Arc 2 characters can't get these yet.

That's most of the writeups linked from the various apartments done, other than Gulfside Rest, Westwoods, and characters that I don't know when they arrive in the Metacontinuity. These three writeups are oddballs, and I refuse to update the birth dates of these two.

EDIT: Oh, and the birth date line links to the (currently nonexistent) "Malleable Causality" page. That's so we can mention in one place instead of over 80 places that the dates are adjusted to the days that the characters would have been born if they were born in the Metacontinuity (instead of born, built, or decanted from a clone tank in some other universe), and occasionally (because of interference from Nidhogg) Yggdrasil gets minor details wrong. Foe example, Sawako-sensei is probably listed as being a year or two younger than she really is, not that she's complaining.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hm. I wonder if Nadeshiko Kinomoto and the Maitlands will ever get together and talk about watching over adventurous teenage girls...

EDIT: And I'm sure the Maitlands would share what they've learned about interacting strongly with the physical world...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-09-2021, 09:56 PM)robkelk Wrote: That's most of the writeups linked from the various apartments done, other than Gulfside Rest, Westwoods, and characters that I don't know when they arrive in the Metacontinuity.

That's now down to "characters that I don't know when they arrive in the Metacontinuity".

Oh, and I took the liberty of assuming Leonard Testarossa arrived in the Metacontinuity the same day that his sister did. They are both Whispered, after all - it seemed appropriate.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Remember that I had to split the big list of characters into lists by residence because the images were taking too long to load?

I just realized I had another option: Take the images off the list.

So... Data-Mining the Wiki/Everybody. No duplicates to worry about. No specifying every residence to worry about. No pictures - but if you're looking for the information on this list, you probably don't care about pictures.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes, I know we can't load the page "Aria House". I've filed Phabricator ticket T8424 for that.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-10-2021, 05:15 PM)robkelk Wrote: Remember that I had to split the big list of characters into lists by residence because the images were taking too long to load?

I just realized I had another option: Take the images off the list.

So... Data-Mining the Wiki/Everybody. No duplicates to worry about. No specifying every residence to worry about. No pictures - but if you're looking for the information on this list, you probably don't care about pictures.

I am now starting to make assumptions in order to fill in some of the blanks on that table. Please tell me if I've made a mistake anywhere.

First assumption: Residence managers and Celestials have been present since the Metacontinuity began.

Second assumption: Bishop Ussher calculated the date of Creation to be October 23, 4004 BC, so obviously there were no days before that date in the Abrahamic tradition. Ergo, anyone from any of the Abrahamic religions who existed before Creation was "born" on October 23 unless stated otherwise. (For simplicity's sake, I'm ignoring the Julian/Gregorian discontinuity.)

(Corollary to the second assumption: Satan and Miho Nishizumi share a birthday. Smile )
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Finally found an appropriate image of Ginga and Subaru Nakajima for the wiki. I had to go to E-shuushuu for it, so I can't just hotlink to it

But they can't stop me from downloading it - in fact, they have to let me download it so that I can see it - and once I have it in my cache I can copy it and re-post it here, so...

.jpeg   Quint, Subaru, and Ginga Nakajima.jpeg (Size: 79.01 KB / Downloads: 186)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Another new character page on the wiki.

Hild
  • Image: Hild, in normal and "handy petite" versions (fan art by "shiroboi")
  • Residence: Niflheim
  • Original ficton: Ah! My Goddess
  • Metacontinuity Arrival Date: 2016-09-07

The leader of the forces of Hell in the Ah! My Goddess cosmology, Hild is one of the beings in charge of ensuring the Metacontinuity does not collapse.

Canon Description

Quoting from All The Tropes:

Hild is the ultimate Demon who is the opposite to The Almighty, known as the Ruler of Demonkind. She is incredibly powerful, with her power dwarfing even the combined strength of the three goddesses. Despite her immense power, she respects the doublet system, and thus limits her power to prevent killing any of the Goddesses. She is Urd's mother, whom she loves deeply, though Urd does not return the feeling (it is revealed that doing so would mean that Urd would acknowledge and thus be taken over by her demonic side). Hild displays a similar witty personality to Urd, though she is far more mean-spirited, and a fondness for dressing in revealing outfits. Hild dislikes Belldandy, because Belldandy's attitude and love for humanity reminds her of Belldandy and Skuld's father and the relationship they once had. Because of this, she has often tried to corrupt or hurt Belldandy several times throughout the series. She also seems to have some feelings for Keiichi Morisato.

She appears a few times before leaving an avatar child version of herself, who would go on to become a regular antagonist for the goddesses, as well as a direct supervisor for Marller. While this avatar possesses only one thousandth of the true Hild's power, it is still enough to make the avatar a powerful enemy for anyone. Despite this, as well as being generally more competent then Marller, she often proved just an inept. In the manga, a small team of demons sealed her main body and attacked her avatar in the human world, which lead to the Norns and Keiichi mounting a rescue mission that directly lead to the climax of the entire manga series.

Changes in the Metacontinuity

She's working with the goddesses to keep the universe from collapsing, although she still allows the occasional penetration test against Yggdrasil by Nidhog.

She's also allowing more displacees to enter the Metacontinuity on the same conditions that the original displacees entered. More displacees means more souls to bargain with... and for.

Original Skills and Powers

Hild can do anything except what The Almighty forbids her to do... which includes denying other beings free will. (She can coax, she can threaten, she can bribe... but she cannot simply change somebody's mind with a wave of her hand.)

In-Universe Power-Ups

"Power-ups" are impossible for Hild, short of her storming Heaven and taking The Almighty's place – which isn't going to happen.

Relationships

Hild still has her canon relationships with Urd, Belldandy, Skuld, and Keiichi.

She has delegated the Metacontinuity work to Ciel Phantomhive, who has delegated day-to-day matters to Sebastian. She trusts Satan to know how to do her job and lets her do it, without worrying that Satan will want to take Hild's job back.

And she was sufficiently amused by the hubris that Benjamin Rhodes showed in calling on her directly (to resurrect Alicia Testarossa) that she was willing to agree to a deferred-payment deal with no loopholes. She'll get what she wants in the end; she always does...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just discovered that psychological health care is not covered by the health plan that's given to everybody in Quebec. That means a displacee who definitely needs it but can't afford it can't get it... unless there's somebody else among the displacees who can help.

And considering why the counselling is needed (repeated sexual abuse - the Nasuverse is not a nice place), I don't know whether Inara would be the right person to turn to in this particular case.

Any ideas?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think Inara would be the best short-term substitute.

If only we had pulled M*A*S*H in -- you could call on Dr. Sidney Freedman.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Another bit just added to the wiki:

Quote:Miss von Einzbern's character page on the Fate/stay Night Wiki tells us that "Illysviel, also called Illy, is a young Teutonic aristocrat who travels to Japan to participate in the fifth Holy Grail War as the Master of Berserker. She lives in a castle on the outskirts of Fuyuki City, accompanied only by her Servant and her two maids Leysritt and Sella. It is later revealed that She is not a human, but rather a homunculus, created to serve as the vessel of the Holy Grail.
Quote:Further afield, the residents at Appartements Mont-Royal Sud and Blossom Apartments in Ottawa are interacting with each other, mostly in a positive light. However, Illya has been purposefully avoiding Sailor Moon.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If somebody wants to give me a Life Day present, I could use some help with the wiki pages for the characters at Gulfside Rest.

Needs a list of original skills: Misato Katsuragi, Maya Ibuki

Needs a canon writeup and a list of original skills: Shinji Ikari, Rei Ayanami, Asuka Soryu, Hikari Horaki, Kensuke Aida, Ritsuko Akagi, Toji Suzuhara,  Malcolm Reynolds, Inara Serra, Hoban Washburne, Zoe Washburne, Jayne Cobb, Kaylee Frye, River Tam, Simon Tam, Shepherd Book

All of the Evangelion characters are from the original anime, not the movies (so no Mari, no eyepatch, and so on). I've been copying with attribution from Evageeks so far (see Ryogi Kaji's page for the format that I've been using); I just haven;t had time to do all the work myself.

Similarly, The Firefly and Serenity Database might be useful for data about Mal and his crew.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I recall that Ben objected to the bare-midriff image of Misato on the wiki.

How about this one?

(Cropped from this image. Yes, of course it has the "voice actor connection" tag on pixiv.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Heh. Who was the 90s-vintage fic writer who insisted Misato was a dimensional counterpart to Usagi because of it?
-- Bob

Evageeks claims it was Hideki Anno, but doesn't offer a cite for that...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I remember a fic with Lina Inverse traveling from universe to universe stealing Ginzuishous, and who had replaced her eyes with two of them, with someone or something contacting a completely blitzed Misato trying to get her to embrace her power or something...
-- Bob

(12-25-2021, 10:58 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I remember a fic with Lina Inverse traveling from universe to universe stealing Ginzuishous, and who had replaced her eyes with two of them, with someone or something contacting a completely blitzed Misato trying to get her to embrace her power or something...

The first fic with that premise as comes to mind, one which I remember to contain a scene treating Misato as Usagi's dimensional counterpart, is Chris Davies' The Crosstime Adventures of Athena and Sheila, or Buckaroo Ten'kai across the Many Dimensions (which, sadly, appears only to be still online as an FTP from The Eyrie). EDIT: Also, I seem to recall that the genealogies of the Togetherverse had Misato somewhere on Serena's family tree, but again, link rot is making it more work to confirm than I have the energy to do.
Of course it's Chris Davies' Togetherverse. How could I forget that? Thanks!
-- Bob

If we aren't going to use that image, I suppose this one's right out...

(Cropped from here)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-21-2021, 12:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just discovered that psychological health care is not covered by the health plan that's given to everybody in Quebec. That means a displacee who definitely needs it but can't afford it can't get it... unless there's somebody else among the displacees who can help.

And considering why the counselling is needed (repeated sexual abuse - the Nasuverse is not a nice place), I don't know whether Inara would be the right person to turn to in this particular case.

Any ideas?

(12-21-2021, 02:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I think Inara would be the best short-term substitute.

If only we had pulled M*A*S*H in -- you could call on Dr. Sidney Freedman.

While adding content to some character pages, I noticed that, yes, we do have at least one trained psychologist in the displacees: Harold Shea.

So Sakura Matou can get some professional help after all.

Speaking of "adding content to some character pages", here's the list of characters who I think have completed character pages as of this posting. The list includes a few characters who haven't shown up yet, but will show up Real Soon Now:
  • Accelerator
  • Akane Tendo
  • Akemi Zimmerman
  • Ami Mizuno
  • Amy Limietta
  • Aria Lieze
  • Artemis
  • Artoria Pendragon
  • Chitose Hibiya
  • Chizuko Oe
  • Chrono Harlaown
  • Cologne
  • Diana
  • Drosselmeyer
  • Emiya Shirou (Servant)
  • Febrie
  • Frenda Seivelun
  • Genma Saotome
  • Gil Graham
  • Gurio Umino‏‎
  • HAL 9000
  • Haruka Ten'oh
  • Heracles
  • Hideki Motosuwa
  • Hild
  • Hotaru Tomoe
  • Hyoga Kazakiri
  • Illyasviel von Einzbern
  • Index Librorum Prohibitorum
  • Janie
  • Jenny Everywhere
  • Kasumi Tendo
  • Kazari Uiharu
  • Kiyomi Kawahara
  • Kokono Misaka
  • Kuroko Shirai
  • Leonard Testarossa
  • Lindy Harlaown
  • Lita Misaka
  • Lotte Lieze
  • Luna
  • Mahoro Ando
  • Maika Tsuchimikado
  • Makoto Kino
  • Mamoru Chiba
  • Medea of Colchis
  • Medusa
  • Michiru Kaioh
  • Mii Konori
  • Mikoto Misaka
  • Mimi Hanyu
  • Minako Aino
  • Minato Hokaze
  • Misaka Misaka
  • Misaka Worst‏‎
  • Mitsuko Kongo
  • Miyuki Sakura
  • Motoharu Tsuchimikado
  • Mousse
  • Nabiki Tendo
  • Nana Misaka
  • Naru Osaka
  • Niiko Misaka
  • Ranma Saotome
  • Rei Hino
  • Rei Misaka
  • Rikou Takitsubo
  • Rin Todoriki
  • Rin Tohsaka
  • Ririka
  • Ruiko Saten
  • Ryoji Kaji
  • Ryouga Hibiki
  • Saiai Kinuhata
  • Sakaki Kojirou
  • Saori Shikijo
  • Shampoo
  • Shiage Hamazura
  • Shinobu Nunotaba
  • Shirou Emiya
  • Shizuri Mugino
  • Skuld
  • Souichirou Kuzuki
  • Soun Tendo
  • Suguru Misato
  • Toshiya Hamaguchi
  • Touma Kamijo
  • Ukyo Kuonji
  • Usagi Chiba
  • Usagi Tsukino
  • Yomiko Readman
  • Yumi Omura
  • Yuuno Scrya
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
For folks who like statistics, milestones, or both: the wiki now has 502 content pages. Page 500 is the character writeup for Adilicia Lenn Mathers.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Labster, two things.

First, your private message quota is full... again.

Second, I snuck in four stub pages before the wiki's locked for migration: Cere-Cere, Palla-Palla, Jun-Jun, and Ves-Ves. All four include images, links to where we can copy (with attribution) canon character descriptions and lists of powers, the start of a "Changes in the Metacontinuity" description, and the start of a list of relationships.

Quote:Cere-Cere, Palla-Palla, Jun-Jun, and Ves-Ves were dumped into the Metacontinuity together in INSERT-NAME-OF-SMALL-TOWN-HERE, California. They busked to survive and save up enough to buy bus tickets to Los Angeles.

Arriving in Venice Beach at about the same time that Kaleido Stage showed up, they quickly saw an opportunity to trade their skills for room and board. After a job interview that's a story in itself, they were hired and given rooms in the Stage's dormitory.

Ves-Ves's page adds "(Ves-Ves isn't happy that Kaleido Stage doesn't have animal acts, but at least she gets to work with Jonathan on occasion.)"

Quote:{{subst:PAGENAME}} has her canon relationships with Chibiusa and the rest of the Sailor Quartet (also called "Asteroid Senshi" in fanon). She's also developing working relationships with Kalos Eidos and the performers at Kaleido Stage. (The Sailor Quartet think that Mia reminds them of Sailor Venus.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, the wiki's migrated to a new server. And I just spent over an hour loading every page and every in-use image, in order to populate the wiki cache.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just made an executive decision: any character from a live-action series who doesn't have a canon birthday now shares a birthday with the actor who played the character.

This means Inara and Kaylee share a birthday.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown