Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Crossovers That Should Not Be XV: The (Bad) Ideas Just Keep On Coming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Someone years ago told me that I resembled Mr. Burns (physically). Not being a watcher of The Simpsons, I had no idea at the time how much of an insult that was. Then, several years later, still not having seen Mr. Burns, I happened to respond to some good news by saying, "Excellent," and someone else told me I sounded like a villain from a James Bond movie. I swear I didn't do it deliberately!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Heh. We also had Bart pegged as Shinji, Lisa as Rei, and EVA-01 had a huge blue beehive hairdo for some reason...
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
Nanoha Und Panzer
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Girls Und Panzer Kunst

Burgermeister Meisterburger: I, Burgermeister Meisterburger, take care of a baby? Outrageous! What's its name?
Grimsby: This is the only clue, sir.
[He holds out the baby's name tag.]
Grimsby: It says, "Claws".
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Sirrocco

Girls Und Panzer Dragoon Saga Frontier
The Who sings about Lovecraft, in The Stars Are Alright
--
Rob Kelk

Harry Potter and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

"Snape. Why did it have to be Snape?"
--
Rob Kelk

Necratoid

So Harry Potter in a nonmagical setting?  In the 1930s?
Seriously make Snape a Jew working with the Nazi's and the plot works perfectly... or have magic involved and the veil in place and Snape convincing people its pointless for them to actually watch Harry die... insert Harry and snakes having long talks about hating the Snape tool while he works out how to actually get out of the pit this time.  Snape as a double agent that is using his possition to annoy the Spawn of James Potter endlessly while keeping the Nazi's from getting anywhere (just barely).  Or Snape as a field agent, occult adviser for Nazi archeology that stays around while the Nazi in charge cannon fodders himself and his unit.  Snape is smart and useful... but such a tool and so dickish that by the time things are coming a head in any particular instance they ignore him and get themselves killed.
The thing is Snape actually likes landscapes (no miserable dunderheads in them to mock him) and bought a young Hilter's work.  Between this and him actually being qualified for the job he is unfirable... and still Snape.  For extra fun have him annoy Indiana Jones on other missions.
Indiana Jones and the Oakland Raiders of the Lost Ark
"Raiders fans.  Why does it always have to be Raiders fans?"
Indiana Jones isn't a nonmagical setting, just a very low magic setting where magic isn't very accessible to the main characters.  But I could actually see the Harry Potter cross working.
Not exactly a crossover, but:  As I was putting up my Christmas tree, I noticed that I was putting the lights on the tree in a spiral, and of course energy flows through the wires.  Since Christmas trees obviously produce spiral energy, my imagination jumped to an image of the Gurren Lagann, drills replaced with evergreens decked in red and gold.
-- ∇×V
The "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" NanoStep lead me to think of this one:
Captain Walker Texas Ranger
--
Rob Kelk

Nancy Walker, Texas Ranger
He-Who-Walks-Behind, the Texas Ranger?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Jimmy Walker, Texas Ranger (a black sheriff?)

Johnny Walker, Texas Ranger (adventures of a drunken lawman?)

*ducks*
-- ∇×V

Sirrocco

AT-AT Walker, Texas Ranger

Also, I can't quite manage it myself, but Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals is just *crying* out for some terrible crossover love.
Sirrocco Wrote:Also, I can't quite manage it myself, but Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals is just *crying* out for some terrible crossover love.
Naruto Ninja Pals?

I've been writing a bit.

Sirrocco

Bluemage Wrote:
Sirrocco Wrote:Also, I can't quite manage it myself, but Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals is just *crying* out for some terrible crossover love.
Naruto Ninja Pals?
Unless I'm missing something, that's not a crossover.  Have you seen the thing I linked to?

RomanFanboy

When sacrificial nostalgia intersects with recreational drug use induced super powers, the government of Texas hires Zordon to fix the problem.

Power Texas Rangers, Department of Public Safety

'Bring me five teens with attitude, and a strong law enforcement background. Oh, and I want a really good lawyer to help me find out how I can lawfully employ them.'

Timote,

You do know that a sheriff is different from a Texas Ranger, right? Smile Texas Rangers are employed by the Texas Department of Public Safety. In America, Sheriffs are generally employed by a county, which is usually a sub-division of a state. I dunno if it is lawful for a Texas Ranger to also hold the office of Sheriff.

Historically, the Texas Rangers were more of a military unit. I think they worked in groups ranging between the settlements, fighting indians and outlaws, too much to properly execute the office of sheriff for a single settlement.

Modern Texas Rangers are not to be confused with US Army Rangers, US Forestry Service Rangers, graduates of the US Army Ranger school, or historical frontier rangers, such as Roger's Rangers. (Graduates of the US Army Ranger school can be Sheriffs at the same time. In Texas, it would be confusing for one doing do to call themselves a Texas Ranger, and maybe illegal.)

Power Rangers, as something that is mostly Super Sentai, tends to have only a coincidental closeness to the historical Ranger. Rangers tended towards light infantry, and Zords are probably too bulky and essential to Power Ranger combat for Power Rangers to really count as Rangers. Yes, the Texas Rangers used horses. The geography, social and physical, of Texas was significantly different from that of the thirteen colonies.

JRR's use of the word is semi-defensible. Rangers move between settlements, fighting against the enemies of the civilization and society that built those settlements. By the time it trickled down to versions of D&D that I've read, the Ranger class was almost entirely distorted. Of course, I also think that way D&D handles Druids is ahistoric.

'Ay Yi Yi. I've been reported for something and now I have mandatory sensitivity training. I can't do that and everything else the rangers need in forty hours a week. Can you approve some overtime for me?'

'Rangers. Zetas have kidnapped one Jesus de la Cruz. We expect them to torture and kill him. Try to rescue him.'

'Rangers. Smoking Mirror is burning things down on the water front. Go stop him before the shipping is sunk and the harbor ash.'

'Rangers. A batch of something has caused mass demon possession. Many are running riot and need to be subdued.'

Last one is a bit silly. Counter riot works better with heavier troops than Rangers. Done realistically, I suspect riots are also a poor match for the Tokusatsu genre.

Sirrocco,

That is something like an anime of Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth, right?

If so, there is one obvious crossover.

Rock Lee Harvey Oswald.

In other words, cross it over with something like Holmes' A Spy Like No Other.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9628 ... e-KGB.html

(I haven't read this, and the supposed narrative for the faction's motivation sounds very suspect to me. That said, that bit is easily fixable.)

(Runners up were Robert Edward Lee, Stagger Lee, Bruce Lee, Light Horse Harry Lee, and Otokojuku.)

(Rock Lee is an exception to one of my possible justifications for why Naruto ninja might not use firearms, even if they are technically possible for the society.)
Is he supposed to look like Xellos from Slayers?
--
Rob Kelk

RomanFanboy Wrote:Timote,

You do know that a sheriff is different from a Texas Ranger, right? Smile Texas Rangers are employed by the Texas Department of Public Safety. In America, Sheriffs are generally employed by a county, which is usually a sub-division of a state. I dunno if it is lawful for a Texas Ranger to also hold the office of Sheriff.

Historically, the Texas Rangers were more of a military unit. I think they worked in groups ranging between the settlements, fighting indians and outlaws, too much to properly execute the office of sheriff for a single settlement.

Modern Texas Rangers are not to be confused with US Army Rangers, US Forestry Service Rangers, graduates of the US Army Ranger school, or historical frontier rangers, such as Roger's Rangers. (Graduates of the US Army Ranger school can be Sheriffs at the same time. In Texas, it would be confusing for one doing do to call themselves a Texas Ranger, and maybe illegal.
It was more the idea of Jimmy Walker (who's black) as a Texas Ranger brought to mind the movie Blazing Saddles (hence the 'black sheriff' line)

Sirrocco

...actually, I just thought of one.

The Rock and his Ninja Pals.

Horrifyingly enough, i think it almost kind of fits. It's terrible, but the world of Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals really embraces over-the-top acting. I htink you might have to actually start with The Rock at his most extreme and then amp him up a notch or two.
Sirrocco Wrote:
Bluemage Wrote:
Naruto Ninja Pals?
Unless I'm missing something, that's not a crossover.  Have you seen the thing I linked to?
I have.  I was referring to Potter Puppet Pals.

I've been writing a bit.
<br>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13