Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,877
» Forum posts: 211,392

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 195 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 191 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Yandex, cloakgrey

Latest Threads
All The Tropes Wiki Proje...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
1 hour ago
» Replies: 74
» Views: 1,439
Easter jokes
Last Post: robkelk
6 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 9
Image Thread 28
Last Post: robkelk
6 hours ago
» Replies: 207
» Views: 7,041
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Norgarth
9 hours ago
» Replies: 15
» Views: 317
The Trailers Thread III
Yesterday, 10:20 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 1,099
Dearly Departed of 2024
Yesterday, 06:44 PM
» Replies: 27
» Views: 995
Kick ALL the Starters, Pa...
Last Post: Shepherd
Yesterday, 08:01 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 193
A collection of jokes fro...
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Dartz
03-26-2024, 03:15 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 30
Video Madness XI
03-26-2024, 04:58 AM
» Replies: 134
» Views: 7,221
Complaining about the wea...
Last Post: classicdrogn
03-26-2024, 02:45 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 310

Update
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 12-26-2002, 05:55 PM - Forum: Bob's Game Writing - No Replies

The extended playtest ended on the 20th; my new absolute final deadline is January 31st.
Pray for me -- because of changes to Morph and Shapeshifting, I'm going to have to rewrite frickin' huuuuge parts of the book.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item

"Utena" Fragment
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 12-26-2002, 05:39 PM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (6)

I'm in a sharing mood this morning. Here's a little bit of business I wrote for the hypothetical Utena Step, but it applies as much to the discussion of the DW cosmology and Hexe's origins over in the DW2 forum as to Utena proper.
---
There's a big difference between the High Magicks and the kind of stuff most spell-slingers do. For one thing, you don't need a magegift to do them. Yeah, I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense. The thing is, there's magic, and then there's Magick. Spellcasters and mage-freaks like me, well, what we do is use local power for local effects. The magegift lets us find, tap and shape that power, but with a few exceptions ( Lina Inverse Willow Rosenberg ) we can rarely affect an area larger than, say, a small town. And that only if we're lucky and have a lot of power handy.The High Magicks, well, they're closer to priestly rites than spellcasting. They're often like little plays -- dramaturgy, I guess you'd call it -- where each participant has a specified role. And it's the roles that are important. Because in the High Magicks, the partipants don't just draw or call on power, they *become* Powers. The ritual makes its participants, however briefly, one with the Forces and Beings and, and... Things that they are representing, which they can then alter -- and be altered by, in turn, because it's a reciprocal relationship. That's the danger of the High Magicks -- the loss of self, the immersion in the cosmic forces you are calling on. You tell it how you want it to control you, and if you bungle it, well... I sometimes wonder if Hexe came into the world because a certain young German girl named Helene accidentally -- and more or less fatally -- invoked her with a High Magick ritual, many years ago.Another of the differences between spellcasting and the High Magicks is that the Powers don't mind the High Magicks. Spells to call upon the Powers (or worse, physically manifest Them) usually leave Them pissed off -- I suspect it's the metaphysical equivalent of a really obnoxious telemarketer calling at dinner time. But when it comes to the High Magicks... Well, I'm not sure why, but They respond willingly to the rituals and are bound by the results. It's probably the reciprocal nature of the process. Or maybe it's because for the time the ritual is performed, there is no real difference between the participants and the Powers, and thus there's no level of coercion or supplication. The question that was foremost in my mind right now was, just what rituals, involving which Powers, were played out on the rose-shaped Circle of the duelling floor?And which Power was Himemiya Anthy, really?

-- Bob
---------

Print this item

Teaser from Chapter 13
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 12-26-2002, 05:28 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - Replies (18)

"I need a boomer," I said to Ohara."What?" He stared at me."I need a boomer," I repeated. "Don't worry, I'll disable itsweapons systems before I start working with it."Several moments passed while he digested this. "Do I even wantto know *why*?" he finally asked."No."He pursed his lips and looked at me over his glasses for a fewmore seconds. "All right," he said. "I'll have one sent to yourshop immediately."Immediately was right. Illya showed up at my door at almost thesame moment I did, accompanied by one of the maintenance guys,who was wheeling along a seriously large crate on a handtruck. Istood at the door to my shop and watched as they came to a halt acouple of feet away. "Ordered a boomer you did?" Illya askedwith a grin.When I saw the model number stenciled on the side of the plasteelbox, I gave him an incredulous Look. "You keep combat boomers*on-site*?"He shrugged in a manner that seemed far too Gallic for hisRussian blood. "One or two we have left over from, um, earlierphase of studies.""Yeah, right." I studied the box for a moment, then opened thedoor and stood aside. "All right, bring it in and put it next tothe nanofac."

-- Bob
---------

Print this item

Silly Idea
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 12-26-2002, 04:47 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk III: Sana-chan No Omocha - Replies (10)

This one is so silly that I'm not seriously considering it; if I were, I'd only share it with my prereaders.
Those of you who have actually seen Kodocha will know that many of the characters are aware that they are in an anime: Sana runs into the leader of the band that does the theme song and thanks him for doing a good job, and Babbit frequently makes comments about the show being an anime, as do other characters from time to time.
So the silly idea is something along these lines -- Doug drops right into the "family". Someone makes one of the semi-standard comments about this being only an anime. Doug laughs it off. Meanwhile, in a small infinity of universes, all copies of Kodomo no Omocha are retroactively revised to include an anime version of Doug...
Not a big thing, and probably not even funny except to me. But it was a cute idea.

-- Bob
---------

Print this item

Another reason for Doug to be popular at parties
Posted by: Freddy Isnot - 12-22-2002, 09:17 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (13)

Hey, is it possible for Douglas to have found a full length "99 Bottles of Beer"? Would be very useful at parties I would imagine.
Couple of other song ideas
Smash Mouth - Defeat You
Bing Crosby - Pistol Packin' Mama
Seemed like something Doug could have used against the Knight Sabers.
"Oh, lay that pistol down, babe
Lay that pistol down
Pistol packin' mama
Lay that pistol down"
Jim's Big Ego - Stress
The equivalent of about a dozen cups of coffee. However it gives Doug a headache and a great deal of stress.
Frantics - Boot To The Head
Let's Doug give those annoying people a boot to the head.
"People talking in movie shows,
People smoking in bed!
People voting Republican,
Give them a boot to the head!"
SSgt Barry Sadler - Ballad of the Green Beret
Simulacra of an U.S. Army Special Forces Green Beret (or however many that Doug can create and maintain) that parachutes in and can help fight.
"Fighting soldiers from the sky
Fearless men who jump and die
Men who mean just what they say
The brave men of the Green Beret"
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode

Print this item

Toon Wars
Posted by: zojojojo - 12-20-2002, 08:52 PM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (5)

Quote:
Star Wars would be fun, but for the moment I'm not considering it. Basically, Doug has to be ignorant of transfictionality until at least DW10. To this end, he's not an anime fan, nor does he know any more about Science Fiction than can be found in general pop culture. Star Wars is one of those things that, especially at his age, with his family in the movie business, and generally being immersed in American pop culture, he couldn't help but know about. Throwing him into that universe would put him somewhere he would easily recognize as "fictional" back home; so if I do write something like this, it would have to be after DW10 -- which is to say, not to be written for a long, long time.
While he must know the movies and the generality of the SW universe, you can toss him in either before or well after the trilogy... He'll see things that remind him of the movies but dismiss them as "naahh... couldn't be. Must be a coincidence..." As an example, you could have him meet Mace Windu shortly after he became a Jedi Knight or something....
Just a thought...
-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Print this item

Mega-City One
Posted by: Ebony - 12-19-2002, 03:03 AM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (13)

...would be interesting, I think. For those unfamiliar with it, Mega-City One houses 2 billion or more people, takes up most of the East Coast of what was the United States, and is the beat of one Judge Joseph "Ol' Stoney-Face" Dredd. Superheroes are illegal, falling under the laws against vigilantes, and the UN is defunct. Doug is freaky enough to fit right in with the incredible array of odd groups that fill the city. And dimension hopping is not unknown in Mega-City One. Some of their worst criminals have come from other dimensions.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Print this item

Other trans-dimentional people
Posted by: offsides - 12-19-2002, 02:53 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (1)

I'm just wondering if there's any plans for other dimensionally displaced people trying to get home in DWn? If so, I think Solsbury Hill (failed gate song in DW2 IIRC) could be used by Doug to take himself and that other person to their home dimension. I doubt it will ever take Doug home himself, but it might leat to an interesting step along the way to be rescuing someone else in a similar situation...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

Print this item

Strange behavior....
Posted by: Star Ranger4 - 12-18-2002, 10:01 AM - Forum: Forums - Replies (4)

I dunno what the hoeck is going on, but for some reason DW General keeps poping up in my new list; yet when I go to the page there are no new posts listed. And this is even after having clicked the 'mark all posts as read'. In addition, the activity tag shows some sort of an action having occured today (the 17th) yet the most recent post on the board shows as the 7th!?!?!?!"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Print this item

Rotating Quotes
Posted by: Logan Darklighter - 12-17-2002, 08:31 AM - Forum: Website - Replies (21)

"I am not a thug. I am not a fanatic. I am a vitamin supplement to justice."
May I just say, that you are an evil, utterly evil man, Bob? I nearly snarfed Mountain Dew over my keyboard when I saw that. For real. No kidding.
^_^
-Logan

Print this item