Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,887
» Forum posts: 211,904

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 524 online users.
» 4 Member(s) | 517 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Kilroy, Labster, Matrix Dragon, RMH999

Latest Threads
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Matrix Dragon
2 hours ago
» Replies: 159
» Views: 5,599
Isekai by Moonlight
Last Post: robkelk
Yesterday, 02:04 PM
» Replies: 93
» Views: 7,307
The new Seraph's
Forum: The Legendary
Last Post: Dark Seraph
Yesterday, 04:33 AM
» Replies: 35
» Views: 784
Crossovers That Should No...
04-27-2024, 12:37 PM
» Replies: 259
» Views: 16,346
Image Thread 29
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Norgarth
04-27-2024, 12:10 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 225
Weird & Interesting scien...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Norgarth
04-27-2024, 08:43 AM
» Replies: 106
» Views: 8,006
Politics Video Madness II...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Last Post: Dartz
04-26-2024, 02:38 PM
» Replies: 179
» Views: 34,074
Stupid dialog, free to a ...
04-26-2024, 02:24 PM
» Replies: 131
» Views: 28,428
My Apartment Manager is n...
Forum: My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
04-26-2024, 08:15 AM
» Replies: 123
» Views: 10,771
For Bob - So I hope this ...
Forum: General DW Chatter
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
04-26-2024, 07:12 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 72

Looney Toons in the Shell
Posted by: zojojojo - 12-16-2002, 08:51 PM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (10)

Ya know.... Ghost in the Shell might be an interesting place for Doug to make a stop-over. It's similar to BGC in tone, but the attitude towards androids and cyborgs is much closer to what he's used to... it'd make for an interesting contrast...
-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Print this item

Drunkard's Walk Main Page
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 12-14-2002, 08:38 PM - Forum: Website - Replies (8)

I've made a minor, fun tweak to the Drunkard's Walk Main Page, in case anyone's interested.
You may have to reload the page a time or two to see what I changed.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item

Self-Simulacra
Posted by: Scrambler - 12-14-2002, 04:52 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (13)

After reading a question about a self-simulacra song in the chapter 12 commentary thread, I had this song jump to my mind as the one to do it.
Weird Al's "I Think I'm A Clone Now"

Print this item

Self-Cross?
Posted by: Evil Midnight Lurker - 12-11-2002, 02:35 AM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (18)

>(For anyone with access to back issues of Dragon, btw, take a look at the TOCs for #78 and #100. Spot any familiar names? )
*blinks*
*thinks about #100...*
*spit-take*
*wipes off monitor*
*runs to Evil Midnight Archive and retrieves #100*
*flips through, knowing what to expect*
*still falls off chair*
*evil grin*
Taking your later reply to an annoyed Brit into account:
Try this on for size...
Doug lands in modern London...but it's a dark twisted Dickensian London, and there are all those feral elf-kids and (IIRC) large talking rats running around.
And just when he's getting a handle on the Borribles world, along come a bunch of bewildered adventurers from Oerth looking for the Mace of St. Cuthbert...
(This could set up a next Step, as presumably he wouldn't have time to find a gate song and would settle for following the Slayers-wannabes back to Greyhawk one step ahead of the London constabulary...)
--Sam Ashley
"Eating kittens is just plain--plain WRONG! And no one should do it EVER!"

Print this item

Gods, Goddesses and EPU
Posted by: zojojojo - 12-11-2002, 02:02 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - Replies (9)

Quote:
This actually makes more sense in a way than Eyrie Productions Undocumented Features universe. There it seems that (unless I'm missing something) the Norse Pantheon is the one that's made a real comeback, but no one else. The Norse haven't been actively worshipped in centuries, and now they're manifesting? What gives?
I understand it as "the Norse pantheon is 'correct' insofar as it assigns the correct names to the deities, but those are merely facets of who/what they really are." We see this when Eris/Peorth is talking about who she is in Twilight... It seems like Bob is taking a similar, yet more vague tack here...
Quote:
This is fun for the story as long as we keep to the cardinal rule "don't examine this too closely", but it does make me wonder from time to time, what the heck is up with all the other pantheons, not to mention the Judeo-Chistian mythos? (That last would get into some potentially dangerous territory if not for the cardinal rule above.)
Redneck addresses this. "G-d" is Odin. Other races worship other deities as their one god, based on what they value in their god... I think the Gamilons worship Tyr as "Kru the Destroyer" or something...
Quote:
I mean, I see Belldandy, as she's presented in AMG, as her own entity, not an avatar or filter. Your method of presenting things so far makes me wonder what, in your version of AMG, she really is. And who she is, as well. I mean, Belldandy really loves Keiichi with all her heart. Does that apply to her other aspects as well? And if not, and Keichi really understood what Belldandy was in these terms, what would it mean for their relationship?
I suspect that this works in much the same way that Hexe manages to care for Doug and the other warriors...
Quote:
And then we get into some really wild territory in Evangelion. I'm beginning to think this subject deserves an entire seperate post
One seperate post, coming up [Image: smile.gif]
I suspect that.... I really have no idea how this'll work in the NGE step... I really like what EPU did with the series in NXE... It made much more sense than what I saw of the original. I'm rather looking forward to what havoc LT will wreak in Central Dogma... maybe he can spray paint a Buddy Christ in the Cage... [Image: smile.gif]
[Edit: fix quote layers and typos]-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Print this item

Senshi Kakumei Loon
Posted by: Evil Midnight Lurker - 12-10-2002, 08:00 AM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (17)

So far, to the best of my knowledge, there have only been two -really- good Utena continuation fics.
Alan Harnum's "Jaquemart" took the existing series, made it even MORE surreal...and is tragically unfinished as Harnum-sama has abandoned fanfic.
Eyrie Productions' "Symphony of the Sword", as most readers here are probably well aware of, went the other way and considerably reduced the weirdness level (as well as crossing it with Rayearth).
If -anyone- around here could pull off a middle-ground approach...
Anyway, Ohtori Academy -needs- some superheroes. Mind you, the ones it needs are Robotman, Crazy Jane, and Rebis... but Doug would do in a pinch. [Image: smile.gif]
--Sam Ashley
"Egad! Too much anatomy!"

Print this item

Potential gate song
Posted by: jonathanlennox - 12-09-2002, 08:26 PM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (1)

Get Me Out Of Here
Billy Pilgrim
www.billypilgrim.net/
www.roelofs.net/pilgrim/sounds/billy.pi ... e.live.mp3 (linked from the band's download page, so it's legitimate).
People live below me up above me to the sides
Even if I wanted to I got no place good to hide
Concrete is my color and commerce it's my pride
Get me out of here
No one should live like this
Get me out of here
From the subway's steamy kiss
Take me to the country and dip me in some bliss
Get me out of here
'Cause I can't live like this
Alone along the crowded streets among the circus freaks
I saw Jezebel and Claribel and they were begging mister please
You can help me too I said and gave them my T.V.
Get me out of here
Get me out of here
Get me out of here
Cause I can't live like
My hands are twitching brain is frazzled
Carryin on in fits
I can't carry on in this frenzied state I'm in
The last time that I saw you, you were wearing a disguize
And hiding from some lawyers who were buzzing gray haired flies
Dried out bloodshot eyes have you forgotten how to cry
Get me out of here
Get me out of here
Get me out of here
Cause I can't live like
Out of here
Cause I can't live like
Out of here

Print this item

Abenobashi Step?
Posted by: cpt kangarooski - 12-09-2002, 11:48 AM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (6)

Bob--
How about a step based on Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai? It's a hilarious series, and appropriately enough, focuses on world-hopping. Doug would fit right into a superhero themed step, but even he might be surprised, since the world always winds up going over the top.
The basic premise of the series, if you haven't seen it, is that the two protagonist children, Sasshi and Arumi are from the Abenobashi shopping district in Osaka. They wind up being transported to a series of parallel worlds, each one having the Shotengai and people they know, but usually playing up a particular genre, e.g. a swords and sorcery world, a science-fiction world, a film noir world, etc.

Print this item

Not a power, but an interesting song.
Posted by: Logan Darklighter - 12-08-2002, 05:33 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (8)

Kristin Hersh
A Loon
Some store I'm not going back there any more
Wandered in don't think I'll do that again
No I don't think I'll do that again.
I swear you look at me cross-eyed
And I don't know what to do
No I don't know what to do crazy loon.
There's a room in his pallet
There's a pillow for his head
Sees an offshoot in his bottle
When he wants to see me dead
Heirlooms a loon.
Never thought I'd see that silly grin
Never thought I'd see that fool again
Never thought I'd like that lunatic.
Nothing left to dance around
What a hero
What a black and blue bird
What a loon a loon
What a loon a loon.
Found it when I was searching around on Leo's Lyrics. I thought it was kind of cool. I haven't been able to listen to it yet, though. Can't find it anywhere!

Print this item

Hanoi Xan, World Crime League, and "antecedents"
Posted by: Murmur the Fallen - 12-07-2002, 05:18 PM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (2)

Radio Announcer: Who is Hanoi Xan? What is the World Crime League? Is this Hanoi Xan the same Hanoi Shan who terrorized Paris in the 1900s? Can the World Crime League be the remnants of Prof. Moriarty's criminal empire? Or is it truly the Si-Fan and Hanoi Shan The Devil Doctor Fu Manchu? Can even our hero Doug stop someone who has confounded Buckaroo Banzai, Sir Denis Nayland Smith, and even Solar Pons?
Maybe.

Print this item