Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 202
» Latest member: RaymondDroft
» Forum threads: 13,891
» Forum posts: 212,098

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 287 online users.
» 2 Member(s) | 283 Guest(s)
Bing, Facebook, Dartz, Inquisitive Raven

Latest Threads
Plotbunnies, Pastebin, an...
Forum: My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character
Last Post: Dartz
4 minutes ago
» Replies: 51
» Views: 2,895
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Mamorien
34 minutes ago
» Replies: 218
» Views: 8,311
Even more oddities spotte...
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
4 hours ago
» Replies: 37
» Views: 1,275
Fanfic Recommendations: T...
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Mamorien
Yesterday, 09:53 PM
» Replies: 74
» Views: 10,535
All The Tropes Wiki Proje...
Last Post: GethN7
Yesterday, 03:55 PM
» Replies: 149
» Views: 4,273
Dearly Departed of 2024
Last Post: robkelk
Yesterday, 11:32 AM
» Replies: 40
» Views: 1,756
Image Thread 29
Last Post: classicdrogn
05-13-2024, 10:37 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 1,334
Image Thread #3
Last Post: robkelk
05-13-2024, 07:46 PM
» Replies: 94
» Views: 6,044
Another bit from Rei's po...
Forum: Fenspace
Last Post: Drezzer
05-13-2024, 04:47 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 90
My Apartment Manager is n...
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
05-13-2024, 07:07 AM
» Replies: 125
» Views: 11,307

Potential gate song
Posted by: jonathanlennox - 12-09-2002, 08:26 PM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (1)

Get Me Out Of Here
Billy Pilgrim
www.billypilgrim.net/
www.roelofs.net/pilgrim/sounds/billy.pi ... e.live.mp3 (linked from the band's download page, so it's legitimate).
People live below me up above me to the sides
Even if I wanted to I got no place good to hide
Concrete is my color and commerce it's my pride
Get me out of here
No one should live like this
Get me out of here
From the subway's steamy kiss
Take me to the country and dip me in some bliss
Get me out of here
'Cause I can't live like this
Alone along the crowded streets among the circus freaks
I saw Jezebel and Claribel and they were begging mister please
You can help me too I said and gave them my T.V.
Get me out of here
Get me out of here
Get me out of here
Cause I can't live like
My hands are twitching brain is frazzled
Carryin on in fits
I can't carry on in this frenzied state I'm in
The last time that I saw you, you were wearing a disguize
And hiding from some lawyers who were buzzing gray haired flies
Dried out bloodshot eyes have you forgotten how to cry
Get me out of here
Get me out of here
Get me out of here
Cause I can't live like
Out of here
Cause I can't live like
Out of here

Print this item

Abenobashi Step?
Posted by: cpt kangarooski - 12-09-2002, 11:48 AM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (6)

Bob--
How about a step based on Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai? It's a hilarious series, and appropriately enough, focuses on world-hopping. Doug would fit right into a superhero themed step, but even he might be surprised, since the world always winds up going over the top.
The basic premise of the series, if you haven't seen it, is that the two protagonist children, Sasshi and Arumi are from the Abenobashi shopping district in Osaka. They wind up being transported to a series of parallel worlds, each one having the Shotengai and people they know, but usually playing up a particular genre, e.g. a swords and sorcery world, a science-fiction world, a film noir world, etc.

Print this item

Not a power, but an interesting song.
Posted by: Logan Darklighter - 12-08-2002, 05:33 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (8)

Kristin Hersh
A Loon
Some store I'm not going back there any more
Wandered in don't think I'll do that again
No I don't think I'll do that again.
I swear you look at me cross-eyed
And I don't know what to do
No I don't know what to do crazy loon.
There's a room in his pallet
There's a pillow for his head
Sees an offshoot in his bottle
When he wants to see me dead
Heirlooms a loon.
Never thought I'd see that silly grin
Never thought I'd see that fool again
Never thought I'd like that lunatic.
Nothing left to dance around
What a hero
What a black and blue bird
What a loon a loon
What a loon a loon.
Found it when I was searching around on Leo's Lyrics. I thought it was kind of cool. I haven't been able to listen to it yet, though. Can't find it anywhere!

Print this item

Hanoi Xan, World Crime League, and "antecedents"
Posted by: Murmur the Fallen - 12-07-2002, 05:18 PM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (2)

Radio Announcer: Who is Hanoi Xan? What is the World Crime League? Is this Hanoi Xan the same Hanoi Shan who terrorized Paris in the 1900s? Can the World Crime League be the remnants of Prof. Moriarty's criminal empire? Or is it truly the Si-Fan and Hanoi Shan The Devil Doctor Fu Manchu? Can even our hero Doug stop someone who has confounded Buckaroo Banzai, Sir Denis Nayland Smith, and even Solar Pons?
Maybe.

Print this item

New World to consider
Posted by: Murmur the Fallen - 12-07-2002, 01:49 PM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (3)

Now, I have a suggestion for a future Walk--the world of Giant Robo.
I think that Doug would have an interesting reaction to the world of Giant Robo. It is certainly similar to the Warriors' World, in that the super people, the ESPers in this case, are an established world-peace-keeping force with branches all over (though their European presence is diminished) or a world-wide terrorist-crime organization. Super-science and super-people. But I also think that the differences, and Doug's reaction to them, would be great too. Mostly because it seems to me that the Warriors are a paramilitary organization, whereas the Experts of Justice are a police organization, much more reactive than a paramilitary org. would be but also intentionally made that way. It certainly seems to me that Doug's "pro-active" attitude would in some ways clash with the IPO's reactive stance (though the argument could be made that all actions are reactions, so nothing is pro-active per se; but let's not get into that). I think that the two different mindsets clashing here would be interesting and, to Doug, possibly frustrating to see an organization much like his but also not.
And Doug's powerlevel would fit right in; he wouldn't be the most powerful around, but he wouldn't exactly be a pushover.

Print this item

I forgot to mention this...
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 12-06-2002, 09:54 PM - Forum: General DW Chatter - Replies (2)

The newest, and hopefully final, version of Doug's Fuzion character sheet can be found on my website at www.eclipse.net/~rms/dougfuzn.html
Many thanks to Logan Darklighter for his number-crunching and his patience with my interminable "Oh wait, just one more thing!" emails.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item

A question
Posted by: Murmur the Fallen - 12-06-2002, 07:33 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (4)

Do covers of songs have a different effect from the original?
Such as, would Paul Simon's "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard," imprison someone in an energy barrier and Me First And the Gimme Gimmes version give a targeted enemy worse direction sense than Ryouga?
And that's not even touching on showtunes.
Oh, my recommendation: "Dies Irae" from Verdi's Requiem. I see it as a wave of invisible power emanating from Doug that turns everything around him for as far as he can see into ash and dust like the fist of god.
It's an angry day song.
And the song that Doug should never hear is "England Made Me" by Black Box Recorder.
I had a dream last night, that I was drunk
I killed the stranger, and left him in a trunk
In Brighton railway station
It was an unsolved case
A famous murder mystery
People love mystery

Print this item

Different Worlds
Posted by: offsides - 12-06-2002, 02:46 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (7)

We already have been told that "different" versions of the "same" song can have differing effects, but what about a song having different effects in different worlds. I know that Doug effectively rewrites reality within at least his basic field, but given that he's prone to drawing at least partially on the local ambient (and nodular) mana, might the nature of the surrounding area have an effect on his powers?
Not necessarily a drastic change, but it would be fun to see the look on Doug's face when he did something and it came off tilted 5 degrees to the wierd... [Image: smile.gif]
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

Print this item

Yet another couple of fun ones
Posted by: offsides - 12-05-2002, 07:10 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (2)

I heard The Who's "Mobile" on the way home, and thought of a nifty way to use it. While the song is playing, it has 2 major effects:
1) Doug cannot stop moving - he can control it to a greater degree, but he will always have at least a really bad case of the Jitters. Nothing will be able to restrain him or hold him down, and he is partially exempt from the 1st Law of Newtonian Mechanics. That is, "A body in motion stays in motion." If he chooses, he can go right through things - of course, it will probably hurt... [Image: smile.gif]
2) Security systems, audit trails, cops, revenue collectors, and the like simply don't see him (or his activities). SO he could hack through a system, and they would know stuff happenned after the fact, but during it they would be oblivious to it.
A second song that I thought up for no apparent reason is "Here's Your Sign", by Travis Tritt with Bill Engvall. The net effect of the song is that Doug can pull out Bugs Bunny style signs with anything he wants on them, in any size up to around that of a billboard, and then put them back into nowhere. The only caveat is that during the song he can't speak...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

Print this item

A Little Theme Music: Silverbolt
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 12-05-2002, 03:43 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - Replies (12)

Well, um. I can't find anything I like. The closest to a good candidate is "Venus" by Shocking Blue, and it really doesn't fit that well. ("Goddess on a mountain top, burning like a silver flame...") Any suggestions?

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item