Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: COVID-19 Check-in Thread Part II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
So it's time again to say, yes I'm alive.  Still working too.
Still here. Ontario's still slowly climbing, although some professionals are claiming we're starting to flatten that curve. Time will tell. Basically, we're staying indoors as much as possible.
I hope everything's OK with you guys, as I haven't seen the usual "I'm OK." messages.

Things have got very quiet in my neck of the woods, but I keep on ticking.
Still alive. Also-

*singsong voice* This was a triumph, I'm making a note here: huge success~

Friend gave me a new 500GB SSD for an early Christmas present to make up missing my birthday, said the real gift was already on it...

I now have the Bubblegum Crisis OVAs, You're Under Arrest OVA + Movie, Megazone 23, Doomed Megalopolis, Burn Up! Excess and Warrior, 801st TTS Airbats, eX-Driver series and movie, and the first 2 Nanoha series! *SQUEE!*
OK, I'll press the button.

I need to send the "yeah, no gathering for the holidays this year given the way the state is fucking backsliding rapidly" email by Saturday. I'm fully expecting we will have Stay At Home in a lot of places come December, because too many people are deciding that they're gonna ignore the pleadings to keep their socializing way the fuck down. The governor has actually pleaded for people to stop having gatherings and try to get this thing under control before that happens, which I'm not expecting people to listen to. I get it, this shitty thing has been going on for nine months now and you want to do something other than stare at your television on the fucking couch yet another night when it doesn't seem like it'll do THAT much harm to just go out one night and see all your friends...

*kills the rant mode, goes back to fiddling with hobbies*
Sure, one person going out and seeing all his friends won't do that much harm.

The problem is all his friends, because they are also one person going out to see all his friends, and most groups of friends have overlap between individual members' groups of friends, but those overlaps are rarely completely the same.

Which means you don't get one person going out to see 1 group of friends. You get thousands of people all seeing thousands of groups of friends between them, with much overlap in total but not on the small, individual scale.

And that's how you spread a contagious disease.
Still here, still alive, beginning to dread winter.

There's no way I'm going to be able to avoid everybody - I need groceries. Here's hoping that people will remember their masks... but I've already been seeing people who aren't wearing them until they get to the front door of the grocery store.

And the hospitals are already full here.

On the positive side, we're moving to orange level this weekend. (Down from red level, which itself is one step away from the infrared/black "total lockdown" level.) I could go to a restaurant if I wanted to... which I don't except for long enough to get takeout, preferably at the drive-up window.
(11-05-2020, 07:35 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]On the positive side, we're moving to orange level this weekend. (Down from red level, which itself is one step away from the infrared/black "total lockdown" level.) I could go to a restaurant if I wanted to... which I don't except for long enough to get takeout, preferably at the drive-up window.

That's the way we've been handling restaurants... delivery for the most part, with the occasional takeout from a local burger joint or Mexican restaurant. We haven't even taken advantage of outdoor dining... well, only partly because of COVID, partly because of allergies and partly because of smoke from the fires.

@hazard: We've basically got a list of... four friends that we've had over, but typically only one a month. One of my friends doesn't even come inside the house, and we keep our masks on.
(11-05-2020, 07:50 PM)LynnInDenver Wrote: [ -> ]... and we keep our masks on.
Speaking of which, we're now getting advice to go with three-layer masks, where the middle layer is a filter.

I wonder whether there are any available here...
Back to work next week

3 more weeks of lockdown. Then a mad-dash for xmas. then level 5 again in January. Like ping-pong.

Went out shopping. I got stopped by the police because of the bad cat in my car. The smell was making their eyes water in traffic behind me. Just to avoid ructions I promised to fix it before my next NCT (Mandatory inspections), despite being emissions exempt.

All would've been tickety-boo if I hadn't stalled the thing when I pulled away.

My foot slipped off the clutch, the car stalled at it promptly did its party piece. The resulting backfire blew through both pipes and launch the garda from his boots with the fright.

I got out of there before he could get angry.

Otherwise still alive and failing to read the illuminatus trilogy.
I'm still here.

I've suggested a Zoom Thanksgiving to my mom, but should probably float the idea to the other people who normally show up to her apartment. For darn sure, I'm not spending 6+ hours on a train to go visit her this year.
Alive, working and in one of the best positions for Thanksgiving this year, such as it is. (Knocks on wood)
Festung Birr still stands.

-----
F.O.G.E.Y.:  Fifties and Older Generation ... Enemies of the Young — the extremist wing of the Gray Panthers
(11-05-2020, 05:52 PM)DeputyJones Wrote: [ -> ]Still alive. Also-

*singsong voice* This was a triumph, I'm making a note here: huge success~

Friend gave me a new 500GB SSD for an early Christmas present to make up missing my birthday, said the real gift was already on it...

I now have the Bubblegum Crisis OVAs, You're Under Arrest OVA + Movie, Megazone 23, Doomed Megalopolis, Burn Up! Excess and Warrior, 801st TTS Airbats, eX-Driver series and movie, and the first 2 Nanoha series! *SQUEE!*
Congrats on the anime haul.   Smile
Haven't checked in here in a few weeks, haven't I ? ... Yes, about 3 days shy of 4 weeks now per my posting history.

Here they are playing "Vancouver Rising". Rising cases, rising death toll.

Dr. Henry said to keep personal Halloween parties small. Promptly a few hundred people had a big public party on Granville St (Downtown). So, remembrance day to weekend after is where the spike should become visible.

Myself going out only with mask on.

Working on moving. Back to germany. Keep dad company, not have him alone in their house.  As a software dev I am not chained to location, SuSE is german, and receptive to WFH, even before covid came down. For now my sister is with him, and after the funeral he will be with her until I am back some time after mid-December.
I've been remiss in posting for quite a while, but I'm still here, and mostly ok. I had to switch to an overnight shift for a month, and I'm gearing up for ankle surgery in about a week, so things have been busy and I've had a lot on my mind.
Ever read something and wonder if maybe your understanding of the language is slipping?

What happened Dartz? None of that makes any coherent sense. I read it four times, and I *still* don't understand what I read.

In our news, nothing's changed. Just watching the world roll by, and watching Trump lose his mind south of the border. Granted, it's a low bar, but still...
(11-07-2020, 05:36 AM)Dragonflight Wrote: [ -> ]Ever read something and wonder if maybe your understanding of the language is slipping?

What happened Dartz? None of that makes any coherent sense. I read it four times, and I *still* don't understand what I read.

In our news, nothing's changed. Just watching the world roll by, and watching Trump lose his mind south of the border. Granted, it's a low bar, but still...

If I'm reading Dartz's post correctly: pulled over for dirty exhaust, he promised to fix it, he backfired while pulling away and covered the officer in dirty exhaust.
(11-07-2020, 11:49 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2020, 05:36 AM)Dragonflight Wrote: [ -> ]Ever read something and wonder if maybe your understanding of the language is slipping?

If I'm reading Dartz's post correctly: pulled over for dirty exhaust, he promised to fix it, he backfired while pulling away and covered the officer in dirty exhaust.
I didn't notice anything about getting dirt on the cop, just giving him a scare:  "launch the garda from his boots with the fright."

Reading comprehension was not helped, I believe, by some of the slang usage, for instance the abbreviation "bad cat" for a malfunctioning exhaust system component (catalytic converter)?  Seriously, my first thought at that turn of phrase was that a disobedient feline was leaping about inside his car, perhaps distracting the driver – I only realized after his next sentence or three what he was really describing.
-----
Up, lad, up!  We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!
Well, for the first time Peg and I have a little something to post in this thread. Our vacation started with both New Jersey and Massachusetts as low-risk states, but ended up with both high-risk. According to the NJ state government, we should self-quarantine for two weeks (the specifications of which match our usual habits exactly, but still) and we're strongly encouraged to get tests (free) and fill out a voluntary survey/questionnaire thing.

As far as holidays go, we've found out that basically all the distant family members who gather for Thanksgiving will not be gathering, so it looks like it's just going to be Peg, her mom, her brother Ed, and me. Christmas is likely to be the same.
Well, my employer has extended work from home until April 26, 2921 now. My health is still fine.

Kilroy
I am confident the 9 in 2921 is a typo, but might be mistaken.
(11-09-2020, 06:22 PM)hazard Wrote: [ -> ]I am confident the 9 in 2921 is a typo, but might be mistaken.

It's called a long-term contract.
Would you be in breach of that contract by not showing up by the time 2100 has passed?
Weekly 'I'm Alive' check-in.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13