Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: COVID-19 Check-in Thread Part II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Still here. Our roommate who had that hospital scare has morphed into what the covid community is calling a long-hauler. Basically it means that the covid virus finds spots in the body the medicine doesn't reach, and hides out there. It may be a permanent condition, like HIV. No one knows for sure yet. The science is not fully in. What we do know is that he keeps testing positive, months after he's gotten better and symptoms have gone away. This has implications for his chemotherapy, as they won't let him back in the cancer ward if there's even a chance he could infect the other occupants. So we're taking it day by day right now.
Many viral diseases also have a tendency to lie dormant in the body until the immune system weakens, after which they become active (and often communicable) once more. It's not just the other patients they are protecting, if covid shows the same behaviour and he goes back in for chemotherapy he may suffer a relapse of the disease as the chemotherapy among other things ruins his immune system's reinforcements maturing and growing in his body.
Got the check I was waiting for, thank Ghu.
(08-26-2020, 05:20 PM)hazard Wrote: [ -> ]'Bursa' labster. Bursae is the plural. Although if it's the plural that's quite a big problem.

And bursitis? That's a pain in the ass to deal with. If they are even considering surgery it's really bad, because those places do not mend easily.

I think I missed the check-in on this.  The vancomycin drip worked, so he was out of the hospital the next day.  The bursa didn't break, so his blood didn't go septic, everything went fine.  He came home with a large topographic map on his arm though, one line for each day outlining the inflammation.

So, everyone is well, once again.  Just about ready to ride out the next wave, the next spike in cases, post-holiday weekend.  That no one could see coming, of course.  I have complaints, but they're all in the weather thread.
Survived the 3 day weekend.

Not sure I will survive getting the kitchen cleaned up after this 3 day weekend (rimshot.mp3)
Made it through another week here.
Continuing to survive. Work is being all stress again. People not showing up, again. Short staff shifts, running out of product, idiots that constantly need reminding to wear masks in order to enter...
Still alive down under. State's still under heavy lockdown for the next month, idiots and political figures that don't have to make the decisions screaming bloody murder, good times.
Still here.
Nothing interesting to report.

-----
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper
Been a while since I've checked in, so here's my "Still here!". Back at my second job, still teleworking my primary.
Checking in.
Still here.
Ping from smoky Vancouver, getting it all from down south.
This will be a (mostly) in-doors weekend.
Several days late, but here I am. Still alive and kicking.
Still here. Sitll kicking.
Still keeping on. Went to the dentist finally for my cleaning and checkup.

Feeling the rut, though. Definitely feeling the rut.
Still soldiering on.
I've been posting around here regularly, but it doesn't hurt to check in officially either, I I have some music to share to help launch you out of that rut like a rocket is strapped to your back.

Playlist of Awesomeness
Checking in. Also dealing with hypochondriac roommates. I have allergies, and it's hayfever season. I sneeze and pop an antihistamine, and suddenly they're treating me like I've got covid, and have all but banished me to the second floor. <sigh> People are scaring a little too easy right now, I think.
(09-15-2020, 11:46 AM)Dragonflight Wrote: [ -> ]Checking in. Also dealing with hypochondriac roommates. I have allergies, and it's hayfever season. I sneeze and pop an antihistamine, and suddenly they're treating me like I've got covid, and have all but banished me to the second floor. <sigh> People are scaring a little too easy right now, I think.
There's a decent air cleaner available for $225 Canadian including taxes at Lowe's. In the long run, that's cheaper than antihistamines, as long as you aren't going anywhere. EDIT: Sorry, $226.
(09-15-2020, 06:42 AM)LynnInDenver Wrote: [ -> ]Feeling the rut, though. Definitely feeling the rut.

More like on Rails.  As in being run out of town on one....
(09-15-2020, 02:05 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2020, 06:42 AM)LynnInDenver Wrote: [ -> ]Feeling the rut, though. Definitely feeling the rut.

More like on Rails.  As in being run out of town on one....

Yeah, it's not far off.

We're more than six months into this nightmare, now, and I think it's finally emotionally setting in that, "y'know what, I'm not likely to get to enjoy anything that I could do with a large group of anybody until possibly 2022."

At least my husband has the (rapidly fading) novelty of new coworkers. But he's still feeling it himself.

It's actually bad enough I've thought of buying webcams for the friends we roleplay with over Skype (D&D Hoard of the Dragon Queen right now for us) so that we can see their damned faces instead of just hearing their voices.
(09-15-2020, 04:19 PM)LynnInDenver Wrote: [ -> ]We're more than six months into this nightmare, now, and I think it's finally emotionally setting in that, "y'know what, I'm not likely to get to enjoy anything that I could do with a large group of anybody until possibly 2022."

Did I ever mention the trip to Orlando with my brother that I was originally meant to take back in February for my 50th birthday? Well, it's now tentatively set to happen next February, and that's only because the Southwest tickets he bought have to be used within a year of their original departure/arrival date(s). It's already been pushed back from February to May due to him and his CDO needing more lead time for planning, then from May to November because the pestilence had come to these lands and we were trying to be optimistic about its departure.
(09-15-2020, 04:57 PM)Mamorien Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2020, 04:19 PM)LynnInDenver Wrote: [ -> ]We're more than six months into this nightmare, now, and I think it's finally emotionally setting in that, "y'know what, I'm not likely to get to enjoy anything that I could do with a large group of anybody until possibly 2022."

Did I ever mention the trip to Orlando with my brother that I was originally meant to take back in February for my 50th birthday? Well, it's now tentatively set to happen next February, and that's only because the Southwest tickets he bought have to be used within a year of their original departure/arrival date(s). It's already been pushed back from February to May due to him and his CDO needing more lead time for planning, then from May to November because the pestilence had come to these lands and we were trying to be optimistic about its departure.

Yeah, we kind of had a similar thing with a reservation at Indian Hot Springs. We cancelled that day because it looked like the state was about to go into lockdown, and we've got basically a year to use or lose. March 2021, basically. I'm... not expecting we'll get to use it at the rate things aren't going.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13