Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,888
» Forum posts: 211,938

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 206 online users.
» 2 Member(s) | 201 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Bob Schroeck, Drezzer

Latest Threads
Video Madness XI
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
8 minutes ago
» Replies: 152
» Views: 8,607
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: classicdrogn
4 hours ago
» Replies: 175
» Views: 6,157
The new Seraph's
Forum: The Legendary
Last Post: Dark Seraph
10 hours ago
» Replies: 37
» Views: 805
Image Thread 29
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 10:23 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 355
Another reset
Forum: Forums
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
Yesterday, 05:54 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 585
Dearly Departed of 2024
Last Post: robkelk
Yesterday, 05:34 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 1,493
El Salvador's President l...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Yesterday, 04:52 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 23
Beware of Chicken - Limit...
Last Post: Shepherd
04-30-2024, 10:10 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 338
Quotes to hang a story on
Forum: Fenspace
Last Post: Dartz
04-30-2024, 05:58 PM
» Replies: 267
» Views: 125,105
Isekai by Moonlight
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
04-28-2024, 02:04 PM
» Replies: 93
» Views: 7,366

Song of last resort....
Posted by: Feinan - 02-14-2006, 12:51 PM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (3)

Leslie Fish is a favorite filker of mine, and when I came across this song, I thought I'd throw it out to the forums. In my mind, this song's like Twist of Fate, only more so. This one is reserved for when the excrement is not only about to hit the fan, but the excrement is antimatter and the fan is regular matter....

Chickasaw Mountain
Leslie Fish

High up on the mountain of Chickasaw, they say,
There's one patch of darkness that never yields to day;
Deep are those shadows, old as the mountain,
Something is waiting in there; call on her if you dare!
Seek no level of God or devil; she's something older by far,
Call her "Lady Of the Morning Star".
She offers two bargains. The price is steep and dark;
The one takes your life, and the other leaves a mark.
If there's a third one, I've never heard one,
Choose for yourself, what's the fee?
Nothing she gives is free!
Name your goal--she won't ask your soul--
she might even give you her own--
And maybe you'd be better off alone!
My old fellow rebel: I know what deal he made;
The Power rang through every song he wrote and played;
Made him the best of his generation,
Sang to the end of the War--and not a moment more.
Then it left him. The Power bereft him,
left him but one fate to see--
Hanging on his sister's apple tree.
Forgive my old buddy, who soon forgot my name;
I chose not to follow his seven years of fame.
He took the high road, I take the low road,
Sing second place, but sing long--
and have always one more song!
Take your stars and give me my scars,
I'd rather live long and be free--
So take his cup the hell away from me!
Whoever has wisdom can guess what lies unsaid
The cost of the Gift to the living and the dead;
Still, if you feel you'll gain by the deal,
You'll play with the old Morning Star--no need to travel far.
Don't just count on Chickasaw Mountain
if there's a Deal meant for you
Any wild place on Earth will do.

Another 'Bargain with the Powers' song...for whatever one goal you absolutely HAVE to achieve, regardless of the costs to yourself.
--Feinan

Print this item

Stock up on lead now...
Posted by: Feinan - 02-14-2006, 11:14 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (4)

Yet another weird idea spawned from my new player.
The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
Recorded by "Timbuk 3"
Album: "Greetings From Timbuk 3" - 1989
I study nuclear science
I love my classes
I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses
Things are going great, and they're only getting better
I'm doing all right, getting good grades
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades
I've got a job waiting for my graduation
Fifty thou a year -- buys a lot of beer
Well I'm heavenly blessed and worldly wise
I'm a peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes
I study nuclear science
I love my classes
I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses
I gotta wear shades, I gotta wear shades

The effect that got into my head for this song was the creation of a pair of sunglasses for Doug during the duration of the song. Wearing them enables two powers: first, everything can be seen clearly - even at night, just as if it were as bright as day. Second power - they're x-ray specs. Full X-ray vision, able to see through anything...except lead, of course. You might play with the possibilities - can he offer them to someone else for the song's duration, for instance? Enjoy.
--Feinan

Print this item

Non Hero Summons
Posted by: Necratoid - 02-14-2006, 04:00 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (5)

Considering that Doug's subcontious is the thing creating his simulacrums, why hasn't anyone suggested villain summoning songs? Any villain he has encountered more than once that isn't generic gunman #27 is going to leave an impression on him.
For instance, "Young, Dumb, and Ugly", by Weird Al is a song for summoning a pack of thugs. Summoning a random assortment of thugs, both memorable individuals and generic type casts. Basically, summons a pack of Crunchy minions and lets him test a more powerful opponent. Though after the Slayers step it may include a utterly random assortment of idiot bandits. In game terms you role dice to see which random idiots make up this pack of thugs... For example a punk in a school uniform, 3 medieval bandits, two generic cyberpunks, and 7 bikers. Nothing major just fodder that calls him Bossman. The smell would make them not for polite company though,
The more advanced type would be ones to summon particular opponents, much like he can summon teammates. A song about his own worst enemy may summon a Quincy drone. Metallica's 'Master of Puppets' may summon the guy who made the Servitor Virus... making this one of his least favorite songs. Something about a feral beast with crushing power would summon a Doberman boomer.
The real problem with these summons are that you'd have to be careful with the,... they'll act like Doug's mental image of the villain. Any with self preservation won't try to kill Doug... though they may do bad things to annoy him.
On the other hand, summoning people you don't like and using them to set off traps is rather cathartic.

Print this item

Witchwind, 4e
Posted by: NotDavies - 02-14-2006, 01:22 AM - Forum: IST/Supers - Replies (3)

This is my first character done using information from GURPS Powers. I have probably screwed quite a few things up, so expect revisions.
As with all my write-ups, this is a direct translation, not an update.
Witchwind -- 1147 points.
Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 16 [120]; IQ 15 [100]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 10 [0]; Will 18 [15]; Per 15 [0]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 9.50 [20]; Basic Move 9 [0].
Social Background: CR East Asian [1], Western [0]; Languages: English (Native) [6], German (Native) [0], Japanese (Native) [6]; TL 8^ [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Call Hail (see below) [6]; Call Lightning (see below) [113]; Charisma +3 [15]; Control 9 (Weather; Natural Phenomena, +100%; Weather Control, -10%) [342]; DR 5 (No Signature, +20%) [30]; Enhanced Move (Air Speed 36; Weather Control, -10%) [18]; Flight (Weather Control, -10%) [36]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Legal Enforcement Powers [10]; Military Rank 7 [35]; Patron (U.N., 12 or less; Special Power, political influence, +50%) [90]; Reputation +3 (Law-abiding citizens of UN member nations, always) [10]; Status 2* [0]; Temperature Control 5 (Area Effect, 3[4] yard radius, +50%; Weather Control, -10%) [35]; Temperature Tolerance 10 (-35 to 160 degrees) [10]; Unusual Background [50]; Weather Control Talent 4 [20]; Whirlwind (see below) [52].
* Includes +2 for Military Rank.
Disadvantages: Bad Sight (far-sighted; Mitigator, -60%) [-10]; Bad Temper (12) [-10]; Bloodlust (15) [-5]; Duty (IST, 15 or less) [-15]; Overconfidence (6) [-10]; Reputation -1 (Criminals, always) [-2]; Reputation -3 (Citizens and officials of UN-hostile governments/NGOs, always) [-7]; Secret Identity [-10]; Secret Identity [-10]; Sense of Duty (Friends) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Humanity) [-15]; Stubborness [-5]; Unluckiness [-10].
Quirks: Comes off as distant and foreboding; enjoys comedy of all types, but never laughs; views no one as an enemy until they draw her blood; wears lifts in her boots.
Skills: Administration (IQ+1, A)-16 [4]; Area Knowledge (Japan) (IQ, E)-15 [1]; Area Knowledge (Tokyo) (IQ+1, E)-16 [2]; Biology (Earthlike, Ecology) (IQ-2, H)-13 [1]; Computer Operation (IQ, E)-15 [1]; Diplomacy (IQ-2, H)-13 [1]; First Aid (IQ+1, E)-16 [2]; Gardening (IQ, E)-15 [1]; History (United Nations) (IQ, H)-15 [4]; Innate Attack (Beam) (DX+4, E)-20* [1]; Intelligence Analysis (IQ, H)-15 [4]; Karate (DX+1, H)-17 [8]; Leadership (IQ+2, A)-17** [1]; Meteorolgy (IQ+3, A)-18 [12]; Strategy (Supers) (IQ-1, H)-14 [2]; Swimming (HT, E)-14 [1]; Tactics (IQ, H)-15 [4].
* Includes +4 for Talent.
** Includes +3 for Charisma.
Call Hail: Piercing Attack 1d-1 (Area Effect 9[16] yard radius, +200%; Bombardment, -5%; Environmental, -40%; Overhead, +30%; Weather Control, -10%) [6].
Call Lightning: Burning Attack 15d (Environmental, -40%; Overhead, +30%; Side Effect, Stunning, +50%; Surge, +20%; Weather Control, -10%) [113].
Whirlwind: Crushing Attack 2d (Accessibility, Not in a vacuum, -10%; Accessibility, Only when flying, -30%; Area Effect, 12[16] yard radius, +200%; Double Knockback, +20%; Emanation, -20%; Link, +10%; Side Effect, -2 DX, +70%; Weather Control, -10%) + Obscure 5 (vision) [Accessibility, Not in a vacuum, -10%; Accessibility, Only when flying, -30%; Area Effect, 12[16] yard radius, +150%; Emanation, -20%; Link, +10%; Weather Control, -10%) [52]
* Her Whirlwind ability is based on the Twister ability in Powers, modified so that it's always centered on her and only operates while she's in flight.
* I dropped the "Known for posing in Playboy" quirk, since that's obviously a Reputation that affects a vanishingly small group ("People who read Playboys from the late 70s.")
* I gave her a high resistance to her Bloodlust, since it's really not the sort of thing a commanding officer in an international peacekeeping force should succumb to very often.
* Due to rules changes, Area Effect is a fixed set of radiuses (2, 4, 8, 16, etc.) rather than the more flexible numbers that were in place when the character was designed. So I listed both numbers -- I figure you can take the lower ones if you want (as with range and speed advantages) but you're not really getting full value for your points if you do ...
*According to Powers, all Innate Attacks based on Weather Control have to have all three of Area Effect, Bombardment, and Overhead. I ignored this for both her Call Lightning (one big bolt, not a lot of little ones that affect everyone in the area) and Whirlwind abilities ...
Edit: Trying out a different format for complicated abilities.

Print this item

Pretty Cure Splash Star and Naruto
Posted by: classicdrogn - 02-13-2006, 10:10 PM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - No Replies

Well, I just watched the sub of the first ep of Splash Star, and two thoughts are foremost in my mind:
1) This is really pathetic comparred to the original continuity, both in the grab of the first episode plot and enemy, and the character deisgns
2) "If you lack earth, run in the fields and become strong - if you lack heaven, study and gain wisdom - this is the meaning of chuunin." Being empowered by the spirits of flowers and birds, Cure Blossom and Cure Egret defend the ancient forest and seek to regenerate some kind of mystical fountain-thingies. Right off the bat, this looks like The Secret adventures of Ino and Sakura, pre-graduation... and then we learn the fiull names of the girls, and the one I had pegged as Ino is a Hyuuga, which is SO not right. The whole energy barier and wind blast thing would fit with Hyuugas, though.
Also, the theme song is generic craptastic J-rock, another big letdown from the original version - granted, it was also relatively generic J-rock, but at least it was CATCHY J-rock. And I miss the chrome-plated henshin sequence, and the Marvelous Screw being the finishing blow energy attack used by Cure Black and Cure White.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
Dr. Akagi will recover. Observe, Rei smiled. Shinji-kun, are these your clothes?
Ritsuko shot up like a spring loaded meerkat. What? Shinji-kun is naked?
See, Anata? Dr. Hentai is alive and well. - Innortal's _I Do_
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Print this item

Doug's Songs Wiki
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 02-13-2006, 06:06 PM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - No Replies

For those who want to browse or contribute, the wiki set up to catalogue Doug's power songs is at dwsongs.wikispaces.com/

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...

Print this item

A thought about the helmet...
Posted by: Logan Darklighter - 02-13-2006, 10:51 AM - Forum: General DW Chatter - Replies (9)

Just an idle question or three.
I don't know if this has ever come up - but what if Doug's Helmet gets broken? Or even destroyed? What then?
How tough is that helmet, anyway? I'm figuring that there aren't too many situations where it could be significantly harmed without outright killing Doug. At least as long as he's _wearing_ it.
But what if he's not wearing it? Has it ever happened in the game that a villain has had Doug in his clutches and deliberately destroyed the helmet? (Seems like that's really what Quincy _should_ have done. Except by then, he was too much into his Super-Villain idiom. Big Grin )
Could Doug use a song from an outside source to repair it? Say - grab a recording on a stereo system of "I'm Alive" and repair/regenerate the thing?
-Logan
-----------------
You know Arthur, when you spend two months living on a really big man, you learn a few things about yourself. You learn how nice it is to stay on Earth, and live someplace with no arms or legs of its own. And you learn how important it is to close your eyes and say "This just isn't happening to me."
-The Tick
-----------------

Print this item

Those Who Hunt FanSubs (Plot Bunny)
Posted by: drakensis - 02-13-2006, 03:11 AM - Forum: Other People's Fanfiction - Replies (3)

I was just coming out of the local gathering when the treasurer noted that the club funds (kept as coins) were beginning to reach the point of generating their own gravitational field due to the weight. (this happens occasionally but is inevitably resolved when we lose access to free venues and have to pay)
With my 'razor wit', I asked to be informed if a dimensional vortex opened, as I would like Undocumented Features on DVD please. Not an uncommon request.
Unfortunately, as I wrestled with the door, a plot bunny leapt out and lynched me.
A group of geeks, using accidental transfictional dimensional travel not to meet their favorite characters, but to find the series that they really want to see but that don't exist in their own world. Like Undocumented Features, the anime. Magical Princess Evangelia. The original episodes 7-13 of Bubblegum Crisis. You get the idea.
And, being me, I had to get the idea off my chest.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Print this item

Instant Army. Just add music...
Posted by: Feinan - 02-12-2006, 09:50 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (4)

Well...maybe not. Doug was having a hard enough time creating the copies of the Warriors. On the other hand...the simulacrums created by this song are simple humans and, theoretically, SHOULD be easier to create/maintain than metahuman versions. So you might not get an army...but a squad or two, capable of creating a diversion? Possibly.
Nahr Al-Kalb
Words by L. Sprague de Camp
Music by Juanita Coulson
Performed by Andrea Dale on her CD Zen Cappuccino (4:35)
I stopped beside Dog River, and I watched the water pour
From Lebanon's gray, craggy height to wash the Punic strand,
And scanned the old inscriptions, and recalled the men of yore.
I tarried at Dog River, and I saw a warlike band
Of swarthy archers and of wicker-shielded spearman slow,
With Ramses in his golden car, the lord of all the land.
I stood beside Dog River, and I saw an army go
Of curly-bearded, hook-nosed men, in crested copper helm
Sennacherib's grim horde, who made such seas of blood to flow.
I waited by Dog River, in the days of Persia's realm,
And Alexander's kilted Greeks went by with measured stride,
Their red-haired godlet on his way the King of Kings to whelm.
I lingered near Dog River, in the days of Roman pride;
With iron helms, and hobnailed boots, and eagles borne before,
March Antoninus' legions with the Spanish sword at side.
I sat beside Dog River, when a swarm of camels bore
The Prophet's sheeted Bedouin, inflamed with holy zest
To wreak upon the unbeliever, Allah's righteous war.
I lay beside Dog River, as with crosses on their breast,
The mailed crusaders jingled past, to keep the oath they swore
To see the Holy Sepulcher, from turbaned Turk to wrest.
I dozed beside Dog River, when during the Kaiser's war,
A British army plodded through, with Anzac hats awry,
And Highland kilts and armored cars, and cannons by the score.
I dreamt beside Dog River as the Free French rumbled by
In jeeps and tanks and cannons, with eager, martial glee
They yelled and waved their jugs of wine, as airplanes stitched the sky.
I woke beside Dog River, and the thought occurred to me:
These gallant fighters all are dust, as those to come will be;
But Nahr al-Kalb flows ever from the mountain to the sea.

Doug can chose whatever types of fighters he wants - anything from ancient Egypt all the way up to WWII...possibly even further. Any type of troop indicated in the inscriptions along Nahr al-Kalb is fair game.
--Feinan

Print this item

Sticky request in 'Game' forum
Posted by: Kokuten - 02-11-2006, 11:40 PM - Forum: Forums - Replies (1)

Bob,
I recently (~2 minutes ago) went searching for the 'Doug's Song List' wiki, and was unable to find it. Is it possible that a post with a link to this helpful piece of information could be made and stickied in the 'Game everyone loves to play' forum?

-KWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Print this item