Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,884
» Forum posts: 211,763

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 238 online users.
» 3 Member(s) | 233 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Honorbridge, Jinx999, Norgarth

Latest Threads
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Jinx999
Less than 1 minute ago
» Replies: 111
» Views: 3,561
Image Thread 28
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: robkelk
4 hours ago
» Replies: 280
» Views: 9,680
Dearly Departed of 2024
4 hours ago
» Replies: 34
» Views: 1,358
The new Seraph's
Forum: The Legendary
Last Post: Dark Seraph
Yesterday, 10:30 PM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 658
Fanfic Recommendations: T...
Last Post: nocarename
Yesterday, 08:57 PM
» Replies: 73
» Views: 9,742
Isekai by Moonlight
Yesterday, 07:37 PM
» Replies: 91
» Views: 7,075
Kick ALL the Starters, Pa...
Last Post: Mamorien
Yesterday, 04:50 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 304
The Problem of Unicorn Ep...
Last Post: batzulger
Yesterday, 03:13 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 257
Complaining about the wea...
Yesterday, 01:21 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 515
All The Tropes Wiki Proje...
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
Yesterday, 12:04 PM
» Replies: 119
» Views: 2,364

DW IV Query
Posted by: ordnance11 - 01-30-2005, 12:45 AM - Forum: General DW Chatter - No Replies

What year did Doug arrive at Buckaroo Banzai's dimension?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Print this item

Revised FAQ Page on Website
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 01-28-2005, 05:15 PM - Forum: General DW Chatter - No Replies

I mentioned this over in the Website area, but just for redundancy's sake, let me note that I posted a revised DW FAQ page late yesterday; the only change is the addition of the question "Was the climax of DW2 inspired by the movie "Unbreakable"?"-- Bob
---------
Chaos isn't really chaos if it isn't Lawful part of the time.

Print this item

Song of the Day, 27 January 2004
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 01-27-2005, 10:17 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk V: Another Divine Mess You've Gotten Me Into - No Replies

Zappin' it to ya
The pressure's everywhere
Goin' right through ya
The fever's in the air
Oh yeah, it's there!
Don't underestimate the power
Of a lifetime ahead
Electric youth
Feel the power, you see the energy
Comin' up
Coming on strong
The future only belongs
To the future itself
And the future is
Electric youth
It's true you can't fight it
Live by it
The next generation...
It's electric
We've got the most time
To make the world go round
Oh, can you spare a dime?
Place your bet on our sound
Come back to town
Don't lose sight of potential mastermind
Remember when you were young
Electric youth
Comin' up
Coming on strong
The future only belongs
In the hands of itself
And the future is
Electric youth
Live by it
The next generation...
It's electric
We do what comes naturally (naturally!)
You see now
Wait for the possibility
Don't you see a strong resemblance
To yourself? (oh...)
Don't you think what we say is important?
Whatever it may be...
The fun is gonna start with me
'Cause I'm bringing it back...
Electric youth
Comin' up
Coming on strong
The future only belongs
To the future itself
And the future is
Electric youth
Live by it
The next generation...
It's electrifying
Electric youth
Comin' up
Coming on strong
The future only belongs
In the hands of itself
And the future is
Electric youth
Live by it
The next generation...
It's electric, it's electric, it's electric
Electric youth
Comin' up
Coming on strong
The future only belongs
To the future itself
And the future is
Electric youth
Live by it
The next generation...
Inflation
Flirtation
Relaxation
Elation
Generation of
An electric youth!

-- Debbie Gibson, Electric Youth
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item

Evangelion Timeline
Posted by: Foxboy - 01-27-2005, 09:34 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk VI: Angel Baby - No Replies

If I recall correctly, there was one put forward at one time, but for the life of me I can't remember where... chalk it up to the ephemera of the web.
I do know that Israfel (the twin angel) took place in August 2015, although the calendar shown was from 1995.
Most people say that EVA starts after Shinji's 14th birthday, which was June 6, 2015.
Most of the in-series timeline winds up hinging on the date of Israfel, since the eternal summer of post-Second Impact earth plays merry havoc with normal time cues. There is however a timeline for events in general, starting in 1999 in "The Red Cross Book," one of the deluxe goodies given to the first few thousand viewers of the movie...
Also, apparently Anno had intentionally made it difficult to get all fanboy precise about the chronology of EVA, by removing most of the time markers. There was supposed to be a birthday party for Shinji during episode four that was excised for that very reason.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Print this item

Teaser for Chapter 2
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 01-27-2005, 04:45 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk V: Another Divine Mess You've Gotten Me Into - Replies (39)

I wish I could say I have an Art, but I don't. I never trainedin any kind of combat, really, not before I joined the Warriors.I was a street fighter during the year or so when I was a memberof that Soho gang, but that was unsophisticated brawling; I wasfast, I was lucky and I had my field, and that was pretty muchall I needed, or so I thought.After I joined the Warriors, though, I discovered that I neededmuch, much more that that. Fortunately, I managed to pick it upas I went along; near-constant mortal peril is a tremendousincentive for learning. But I didn't really study any particularstyle. Instead, I had a collection of moves and tactics I'dcopied from the fighters I'd sparred with or gone up against inlive combat, strung together once again with my speed and luck.Over the years I'd more or less hammered them together into afunctional mass that didn't really have a name. If I had to callit anything, I'd call it "kludge-fu" -- just like its electronicand mechanical counterparts it was (as Jackson Granholme had putit so many years ago) "an ill-assorted collection of poorlymatching parts, forming a distressing whole."Fortunately, it was distressing far more often to my opponentsthan to me, but that didn't mean I didn't have to work on it.Years of practice -- especially the twenty-plus months I'd spenttraining under and with Alberich -- had smoothed it into acoherent whole, but there was still always room for improvement.Hence my morning workouts, where I endeavored to find more waysto fit together the various pieces stolen from all thosedifferent styles.Obviously, I didn't know the original names for most of the movesand combos, so I'd long ago begun making up my own. Which washow it came to be that I was flowing smoothly from "Rabbit FlirtsWith Hunter" through "Overhand Pie Smash" to "Yappy Dog Bounces".I was working on a transition into the more advanced "Wait ForMe, Bay-bee!" when I heard a little intake of breath behind me.I spun and dropped into a crouch ("Cossack Dancer Stumbles"),only to see nothing more than the tail end of a long lock ofblack hair whip by the door post and vanish out of sight.*Skuld? But why...* Then I shrugged to myself -- what man canunderstand the ineffable whims of the gods, right? -- and wentback to my katas. "Cossack Dancer Stumbles" to "Duck Looks ForBeak" to "I Woulda Baked A Cake" to "Ooh, Wiseguy, Eh?", and fromthere into a long-familiar series of moves that had ceased tohave individual names any more, and which set me to bouncing offthe walls. Literally."Good morning, Doug."The door was in my peripheral vision this time, so the appearanceof another female figure there wasn't a surprise. I let afollow-through carry me via a tumble into a rest position, thenbowed to her. "Good morning, Belldandy."With a smile, she returned the bow. "Breakfast will be readyshortly, if you'd like to join us."I smiled back at her as I straightened up. "Yes, thank you, Iwould."-- Bob
---------

Print this item

It's the cellphone you can eat!
Posted by: HoagieOfDoom - 01-27-2005, 02:46 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (4)

I was browsing through the various omakes littered in the DW2 forum while listening to this when it hit me: Doug would love this...
Bananaphone
by Raffi
Length: 3:16
Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring bananaphone
I've got this feeling, so appealing
For us to get together and sing, sing!
Ding dong ding dong ding dong ding donanaphone
It grows in bunches
I've got my hunches
It's the best, beats the rest
Cellular, Modular, Interactive odular
Ping pong ping pong ping pong ping pananaphone
Its no baloney
It aint a phoney
My cellular, bananular phone
Dont need quarters, dont need dimes
To call a friend of mine
Dont need computer or TV
To have a real good time
I'll call for pizza, I call my cat
I'll call the White House, have a chat
I'll place a call around the world
Operator get me Beijing jing jing jing
(Musical Break)
Ying yang ying yang ying yang ying yananaphone
Its a real live mama and papaphone
A brother and a sister and a dogophone
A grandpa phone and a grandma phone too, oh yeah
My cellular, bananular phone
Bananaphone, ring ring ring Its a phone with a peal
Bananaphone, ring ring ring Now you can have your phone and eat it too
Bananaphone, ring ring ring this song drives me, bananas
Bananaphone, ring ring ring..
Effect: Conjures a cell phone in with the shape, coloration, and feel of a banana. Using it, Doug can call anyone he wants to within the the universe he is currently in, regardless of whether he knows the number or not. And to top it off, if he gets hungry, instant food supply!
Comments: This song has been bouncing around my head ever since I saw this. The sheer ridiculousness of the song whacked me in the head and its been stuck there ever since (I occasionally sing it out loud in school too). Listening to it while reading DW2 omakes was a deadly combination. I think I have bruises from falling out of my seat..."If you see the fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra

Print this item

Urd's First Wish Mission
Posted by: ordnance11 - 01-17-2005, 03:26 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk V: Another Divine Mess You've Gotten Me Into - No Replies

I've been trying to find the chapter where Paradox was angsting over what happens when Urd goes out on her first wish granting mission.
What happens when the guy (and it is a guy Urd meets) says politely but firmly...Thank you but no thank you!
So...now what?
I wish I could say that it's my original idea but I got it from this bit of info:
www.animenewsnetwork.com/...hp?id=1175
Oh, Sailor Spork Productions has a music video of the anime too!. Check out animesuki.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Print this item

Possible song
Posted by: David Lewis - 01-16-2005, 07:23 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk VI: Angel Baby - No Replies

This is a song about angels that might actually be benificial to Doug, as it implies protection, amongst other things,
Robbie Williams - Angels

I sit and wait
Does an angel
Contemplate my fate
And do they know
The places where we go
When were grey and old
Cos Ive been told
That salvation
Lets their wings unfold
So when Im lying in my bed
Thoughts running through my head
And I feel that love is dead
Im loving angels instead
And through it all she offers me protection
A lot of love and affection
Whether Im right or wrong
And down the waterfall
Wherever it will take me
I know that life wont break me
When I come to call
She wont forsake me
Im loving angels instead
When Im feeling weak
And my pain walks down
A one way street
I look above
And I know I will always be blessed with love
And as the feeling grows
She breathes flesh to my bones
And when love is dead
Im loving angels instead
And down the waterfall
Wherever it will take me
When I come to call
She wont forsake me
Im loving angels instead
And down the waterfall
Wherever it will take me
When I come to call
She wont forsake me
Im loving angels instead
Any thoughts?

Print this item

Q for the community
Posted by: jpub - 01-14-2005, 02:41 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk V: Another Divine Mess You've Gotten Me Into - No Replies

Do people think we need an "about Paradox" section in the DW5 section of the FAQ?
I don't get a lot of questions about him, but I'm curious if y'all would find that useful.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]

Print this item

Teasers for a possible "Firefly" Step
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 01-06-2005, 04:05 AM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (5)

Per the discussion over in General/General...

River drifted in a slow orbit around the examination table as Simon swore softly under his breath and suppressed the urge to pound the readouts in front of him."Lost," River crooned, not quite looking at the man on the table. "Lost, lost, and lonely..."Mal ignored her. "Well, Doctor?" he demanded."I don't know," Simon growled. "The instruments are..." He shook his head. "I've never seen anything like it. Sometimes I get good readings, the rest of the time -- it's either meaningless, or it's nothing at all. It's like he's not quite there.""The walker in shadows," River suddenly hissed, dropping into acrouch at the foot of the table. "He misses her strength and hersong.""I think we all know who's not quite there," Jayne growled."Shut it, Jayne," Mal snapped.-------The girl crept up close to me and stared intently into my eyes. "You have a hole in your mind," she declared flatly."Do I?" I asked, curious about this girl with the strange,damaged aura."He ain't the only one," my grumpy guard announced, then went back to his gun.She ignored him, instead nodding slowly at me. "The peaceful princess put it there. It was an accident, but you won't be able to fix it until the time is right. The lunar mariner didn't mean to do it, but that's what the stone did." She tilted her head to one side, then leaned closer and whispered conspiratorially, "The princess is the mariner is a rabbit, did you know that?"I raised an eyebrow. "A screwy rabbit?" I ventured. Of courseI hadn't a clue what she was talking about.The girl nodded again, vigorously this time. "A *moon* rabbit.""Which moon?" I asked.Her eyes drifted off toward the ceiling. "The Moon-That-Was of Earth-That-Was. Before Earth-That-Was was, the Moon-That-Was was." Her eyes snapped back to me. "But it wasn't. Not here."Okaaaaaay. "Not here?"She shook her head. "No, not here, never here. Where you were once, you learned it, and you remember it in the hole in your mind. But not out of the hole. It was where you were once, but where you are now is not the place it was.""Where I am now? Here, in this spaceship?""No! Different where, different when."Ah. Now I understood what she meant. Well, some of it. Thatlast bit, at least.-------River drifted up to me, tilted her head, and eyed me soberly. "Play that funky music, white boy," she said, absolutely deadpan.I blinked. "Where," I coughed, "did you hear that?""Your mind leaks," she replied simply.I frowned. "Through the hole in it, I presume."She shook her head and then tilted it the other way. "No... the hole contains, it does not release."-------"What are you doing?" Kaylee asked as she stared with frankfascination at my circle."Well," I said without looking up, "one of the key things you need to know about the universe is that how you see it and how it works are dependent on the... um..." I thought for a moment. "On the *metaphor* you use. Or maybe 'filter' would be a better word. Each metaphor has its strengths and weaknesses -- the scientific metaphor took humanity to the stars, for instance, because it handles physical processes so well. Hold on." Kaylee waited patiently as I frowned, my tongue slightly stuck out at the corner of my mouth, while I tried to shape the next symbol correctly. After a moment, I scribed it."No." River was at my side, having crept there without mynoticing somehow.I turned to her. "No?""No." She took the chalk from my hand, rubbed out the glyph,and scribed a slightly different one with sure, swift strokes.It was, I realized, what I had actually wanted there.I lifted my eyes to stare at her. "How...?"She shrugged nonchalantly. "Once you see the pattern in thelanguage, it's obvious." She handed the chalk back to me, andsat back on her heels, her arms wrapped around her knees.For a few seconds I stared into her huge eyes. "Riiiight," Ifinally said. Maybe Simon's boasts about her early genius weren't just the fond exaggerations of an affectionate olderbrother. I studied the chalk for a moment, then the circle.-------"It sure is amazing," Kaylee said, shaking her head."What is?""I ain't never run into a man who loved to hear himself talk as much as you do."

(Edit: Removed "Crystal" segment because I haven't yet cleared the use of Crystal with Kat, her player.)-- Bob
---------

Print this item