Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Crossovers That Should Not Be XIV: A Heavy Crossover to Bear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Naruto is such an interesting person, so happy to find a freind and always getting into the fun sort of trouble... Why would Nyaruko ever want to leave?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
HP/TORG - they only THINK they know how much that Gaunt man is - if he ever threw over those Death Eater jokers and brought in the capable subordinates those meddling kids wouldn't like the possibilities at all.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
I'm not sure whether this is one that shouldn't be, or one that should, but:

Ann Marcellino's illustrations of the Avengers as Sailor Scouts.

--The Twisted One
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
We've secretly replaced Mao from Full Metal Panic with Mao from Mao-chan, and vice-versa. Let's see who doesn't notice.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
..you forgot Mao from Code Geass.
Heck, set up a rotation.  And throw Chairman Mao into it, just for laughs.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Prompted tangentially by posts 20&21 in the Non-Crossovers thread... 50,000 years after their last appearance, the Reapers begin their active cycle again only to discover that somehow the relay system and its whole branch of the techtree have been ignored... instead of a galaxy ripe for plucking there's Eldar and Orks and Humans and Tau, and even if there's the Necrons who venerate them there's also a massive fleet of Tyrannids coming in from behind...

- dNN
--

Sirrocco

Or perhaps just a short of Mao, Mao, Mao, and Mao playing Mao?

Have fun keeping track of who's saying what.
ClassicDrogn Wrote:Prompted tangentially by posts 20&21 in the Non-Crossovers thread... 50,000 years after their last appearance, the Reapers begin their active cycle again only to discover that somehow the relay system and its whole branch of the techtree have been ignored... instead of a galaxy ripe for plucking there's Eldar and Orks and Humans and Tau, and even if there's the Necrons who venerate them there's also a massive fleet of Tyrannids coming in from behind...
... From what I understand of WH40K, that sounds like another day at the office for the GEoMK.
That's why it Should Not Be - While 40K is so grimderped that no matter who gets wiped out, they deserve it, it's not really anything different to have another set of omnicidal crazies show up, more like... tuesday. Maybe if the Reapers interrupted the Antispirals' extermination program in the final arc of TTGL?
--
Then it'd be a little more like Freddy vs. Jason. :p
blackaeronaut Wrote:
ClassicDrogn Wrote:Prompted tangentially by posts 20&21 in the Non-Crossovers thread... 50,000 years after their last appearance, the Reapers begin their active cycle again only to discover that somehow the relay system and its whole branch of the techtree have been ignored... instead of a galaxy ripe for plucking there's Eldar and Orks and Humans and Tau, and even if there's the Necrons who venerate them there's also a massive fleet of Tyrannids coming in from behind...
... From what I understand of WH40K, that sounds like another day at the office for the GEoMK.
Sorry, did you say "that sounds like another day at the office for GENoM"?

Well, maybe you should have...
--
Rob Kelk

RomanFanboy

If you are talking Mao from Darker Than Black, as your fourth Mao, perhaps that is a crossover that should be.

If Mao Zedong, well, I consider Chung and Halliday's Mao: The Unknown Story to be canon. I think Mao: The Unknown Story should not be crossed over with anything. Essentially, I lost the roll to disbelieve, lost the SAN, and decided I couldn't stand to read any more of it. (Or at least, the cost in depression was not worth it. I probably paid too much, and too long as it is.)
"And, as part of your course work to help your English studies, each of you will be paired with a penpal. In particular, girls in Great Britain who are taking Japanese as a second language."
Ako blinked at Negi-sensei's announcement. That sounded like it could be fun. Interesting at least. Either way, she'd wait a bit for the crowd of other girls to clear out from in front of the paper before she went to find her penpal. After all, it wasn't liekly that either of them would be moving.
Seat 5, Class 3-A:  Izumi Ako, Mahora Academy. Assigned penpal: Annabelle Fritton, Cheltham Ladies College.
Seat 6...

Because really, what could possibly go wrong by having St. Trinians in a universe with combat robots, time travel, mages and Martians?
The title says it all:

Willy Wonky and the Soylent Green Factory
--
Rob Kelk

The Wanderer

How would the Incubators react if they were ever to run across what we might call "the Spiral Nation"?

One thing's for sure: their entire thwarting-entropy program would be rendered instantly obsolete.

(I wasn't entirely sure which thread to put this one in. The only reason I classify it as "should not be" is that I can't really think of any way to make an actual story out of it, instead of a brief one-shot.)
The Wanderer Wrote:(I wasn't entirely sure which thread to put this one in. The only reason I classify it as "should not be" is that I can't really think of any way to make an actual story out of it, instead of a brief one-shot.)
That's easy enough.  The Incubators figure out what the Spirals can do by seeing them fight the Anti-Spirals.   As a consequence, they believe that the only way to make the Spirals produce universe-saving amounts of energy is to threaten everything they stand for- i.e., become the villains of a shonen mecha series.
The twist at the end is that losing to the newest, most outrageous incarnation of Gurren-Lagann in the climactic final battle is what they were going for all along, since that fight alone generated enough energy to stave off entropy for millions of years.

I've been writing a bit.

The Wanderer

Hm. I thought that part of the nature of Spiral Energy was that when it was no longer being used/generated/supported, it dissipated back into the nothing from which it came - hence why when a mecha is damaged in combat, and the damage is regenerated on the fly by Spiral Energy, the damage returns after things settle down.

Or in other words, the energy generated by that fight would have all gone away when the fight was over with...

However, that does somewhat miss the point. The Incubators are trying to generate the necessary energy to stave off entropy; the Spirals have to intentionally hold back from generating more energy than can safely exist in the universe at any one time, and the Anti-Spirals were actively trying to prevent anyone from ever being able to approach that threshold. In other words, the fundamental assumption of the physics on which the Incubators' plan is based is contradicted by the fundamental nature of Spiral Energy.

It's more of a conflict of underlying physics (or metaphysics) than anything else, really.
The resources I've seen aren't totally clear on the permanence of Spiral Energy effects.  The early episodes had things revert at the end of battles, but did you ever see anything after the timeskip change like that?  Not that I remember.  Spiral Nemesis isn't truly defined- it could be the effect of SE usage at any one time exceeding a certain limit, or it could be the cumulative effect of the evolution of all Spiral beings.  It was never truly explained, as best I know (though I lean towards SE being permanent, if only to explain why the Anti-Spirals didn't just show up and say 'Hey, if you go around being awesome all the time, you'll make reality collapse in on itself and kill us all.  Try not to do that, mmkay?')
As for the point of the concept, it doesn't miss it at all.  The Incubators are, if memory serves, basically Utilitarians on the largest scale- the greatest good for the greatest number (all of existence), even if it ends a few planets along the way.  Cold logic would be the single greatest factor in any decision they made.  Would it require less effort and do less damage to the universe to use the Spirals, in place of witches and magical girls?  Yes.  How, then?  How do they make sure that the Spirals (who can defy the otherwise-valid laws of physics that set the Incubators on their course, the same way magic does) produce enough energy to do what needs doing, especially since they seem to have sworn off excessive SE use by the epilogue of TTGL?  Cue unexplained battles- because the simplest way of getting Spirals to make the green stuff is to threaten their lives.
Heck, I could see Kyubey running both gambits at once, and using the Spirals as a Ridiculously Powerful Witch Disposal System.  Letting a witch destroy a planet full of potential contractors is wasteful, after all, especially when you can get boatloads of energy out of the next planet over, at the cost of a single teleport.

I've been writing a bit.
That actually fits well with the notion of playing Sentai Villain, summoning up monster of the week n+1 despite the previous n having failed to cause more than 18 minutes worth of terror, havok, and or fierce battle resolved only by being pressed into using a Definately Final Attack.
--

Sirrocco

And now I have a bizarre little meta-idea of a Sentai show where the Villain is just the black ops arm of the Friendly Local News Station equivalent, and the whole thing is secretly being run as a bizarre form of reality TV show. If you really want to work the deconstruction, the Heroes find out at some point, and the station, in too deep to do anything else, tries to get them to buy into it.

The Wanderer

Well, the other half of the idea is the priorities clash - "lack of energy will lead to the end of the universe, so generating more energy is by definition good" on the Incubators' side, vs. "too much energy will destroy the universe, so generating more energy is something to be very wary of" on the Spirals' side; the reaction of each side to that fundamental conflicting assumption was half the fun of the idea in my original conception.

But yes, I do see how that could be acknowledged and included in the kind of storyline you're talking about. I just don't see that acknowledgement and inclusion as necessarily happening automatically, at least not the way you've described it.

That said, I think we're now kind of off the topic of the thread.
Going off the RL meets MlP threads seen in places. Mythbusters meets the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Also for extra LOLs it's written by an EPU Usual Suspect or Contributor.
Rod H Wrote:Going off the RL meets MlP threads seen in places. Mythbusters meets the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Also for extra LOLs it's written by an EPU Usual Suspect or Contributor.
It's not exactly the CMC, but close enough?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Waver Velvet glared around the plaza. He had to consider the possibility that the trap he'd fdound himself in was the product of his rivals at the Clock Tower, and the large number of what the younger generation had started to refer to as muggles were just unfortunate bystanders, but he couldn't think of any rivals that would be willing to be so blatant, and would know that he'd use magecraft for anything as minor as jumping the queue for a computer game - assuming that this person claiming to be Akihiko Kayaba was telling the truth.
He shook his head. He'd kept his hobby of computer games discrete, and deliberately gave the impression that it was a cover for private research and not in memory of his Basileus, a man who's charisma and milirtary skills had made him a legend in his own short lifetime.
Looking around, it was clear that nearly everyone around him was scared and confused, more so than he'd been when he discovered what the fourth grail war really consisted of. He'd been a child, but he'd seen some of the greatest leaders and champions humanity had ever known and he'd emerged from the other side a man with true role-models to follow. What these children here needed was examples and leadership.

Fate/zero / Sword Art Online.
Trek/Ranma fuzion HA!- Behold Security Officer Ranma Saotome as he faces Amazons from the Klinzhai region, the gender switched prince of the Orion Dynasty, the Immortal King of Mount Romulus, and that's not even going into his self declared rival from Command Branch, Ryoga, or the Medical Branch Dietician Ukyo, not to mention Captain Tendo of the Nerima and his officers/daughters...

I think the worst part is that it almost certainly exists somewhere...
--
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12