Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Sleeping with the Girls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Jorlem, check Kurisu's spoiler.
I know, I saw it. But he jumped when he passed out from being drunk too, didn't he? I think there's something of a grey zone here, which is why I said 'if'.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
You're right. It is pretty damn iffy.
For one thing, manipulation of the nervous system to trigger sleep (as Cologne did) will do it. Zonking out from being drugged (intoxication) will do it. But a knock-out blow doesn't? Something's a little fishey there and the Author needs to explain it.
Of course, he could just say not to examine this too closely.
ETA: It also occurs to me that with the Midchildans having pretty much cornered the market on Interdimensional Travel (the only ones with a greater degree of savvy on the subject would be the Time Lords, IMHO), it wouldn't take much effort on Jail Scaglietti's part to lock Our Hapless Hero down to the universe he currently occupies.  Right?
Not necessarily.
Nobody in the fic has been able to figure out how it works yet.  Keep in mind, that list includes *Washu*.
If the Greatest Scientific Genius in the (Tenchi) Universe (and one of the Three) can't figure it out, Scaglietti *probably* won't be able to.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Washu has some idea. And I think Jail could figure out as much as she has as well - enough to put out some kind of jamming/flux/whatever that prevents him from jumping.
The obvious response to that would be, if Jail has as much of an idea as Washu, and Jail could do that... why didn't Washu do it?

-Morgan.
Washu didn't know he was going to jump again, so soon? It was the first place he visited, and he didn't have any idea of what the trigger was, so the jump out of the Tenchiverse came as a complete surprise to everyone.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
She certainly seemed to have anticipated it, since she had the beacon/cross-dimensional phone thing set up.

(I am, admittedly, biased, since some of my own stories have as background that it's absolutely impossible to block an outgoing dimension span.)

-Morgan.
Of course, there's also the possibility that Washu wanted him jumping, so she could collect as much data as possible.

It's just as likely likely that she can't stop it though. Mihoshi gets into her lab with a variant of this effect, after all. Maybe that's why Washu wants more data on this, so she can design a security system that will keep Mihoshi out of her lab.
-----
But Mihoshi likely traverses at a higher level than Our Hero does. Remember the feedback he got after traveling with Mihoshi's Mom? Traveling at the 11th Dimension? I seem to recall him normally traveling at around sixth or seventh.

(And no, Mihoshi gets in because her DNA resembles Washu's closely enough to confuse the security systems.)
Quote: Mihoshi gets in because her DNA resembles Washu's closely enough to
confuse the security systems.
So...Mihoshi and Washu are genetic four niners?
Washuu is interested because she couldn't trace where Hiro Protagonist is from, and that makes her curious. Coupled with his comment about how his universe's access to fictional accounts of Washuu's own suggests that it's outside the Choushin's domain, and thus implies a higher-order Creator, and he's definitely got her interest. She wants to see what's making him jump. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Ah, ok then. Please disregard my earlier statement in that case. I had thought that since her mother was able to make jumps similar to our protaganist, Mihoshi was doing something along the same lines as well.
-----
The author - through Washuu and Hiro Protagonist - has likened Mitoto's ability to the Protagonist's and to Ryouga's "lost boy" ability, so there may be something there, but I don't think Mihoshi is connected to it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
OK, so getting knocked out does count for his jumping then. Good to know.
I can't wait to see what upgrades Washuu will offer him now, and considering he now knows what he's in for, I doubt he'll say no to most of the durability ones at least.
-----
I suspect he'll be offered at least GP-level body mod, but will he have time to retrain to use his body afterward?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Hrm... What about a power suit a la Gryphon of Undocumented
Features
? Call up super-power at a moments notice and still
get to keep your humanity intact.

HoagieOfDoom

Jorlem Wrote:OK, so getting knocked out does count for his jumping then. Good to know.
I dunno. Being that he was violently knocked unconscious , I wonder if maybe it was a trigger reSTARTing the whole loop and that next time when he gets to the Nanoha-verse if he just falls asleep he'll end up somewhere other than the Tenchi-verse. It just seems a little suspicious that Tre clocking him sent him back there.

Kurisu

New Chapter! or is that 'New Story'? anyway,
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...
Why didn't my "notify me when this page changes" script flag the new chapter?

(goes and looks)

Ah. There is no new chapter in the thread.

It's in http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6052381/1/b ... aos_Theory]a different thread altogether.

I hate when people do that...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
In his defence, he did say that it would be continued as a different story thread at the end of the last chapter of the first volume. ( or whatever it should be called. )
-----

The Wanderer

...but in his offense (or whatever the appropriate idiom would be), he doesn't seem to have marked the previous story as "Complete". (That tripped me up at first, too.)
That's a common problem on ff.net - people often don't even mark their one-shots as complete.
I'm re-reading the first chapter of the new book and I think I caught something I missed the first time. 
Quote:Then, when I finally hit a situation I can't cope with. I end up back in the safest world to date.
I had been thinking that the Nanoha universe represented the end point of the loop.  However, this suggests the patern may not be not one of, "go through this list of universes and go back to the begining when you hit the end," but instead may be, "go through this list of universes and go back to start if you get hurt too bad."  At this point it is just speculation from Hiro Protagonist, but there may be more universes on the list after Nanoha, along with the mystery universe between OMG and Nanoha where he just went back to sleep.
Edit: Also, the implications of Senbei going off with Mihoshi didn't really hit me durring my first reading.  That's [u][b][u][b][u][b]Senbei[/b][/u][/b][/u][/b][/u] and [b][u][b][u][b][u]Mihoshi[/u][/b][/u][/b][/u][/b] together on a spaceship without any supervision other than a stressed-out AI who has to follow Mihoshi's orders.  That should be worth a side-story all by itself.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

HoagieOfDoom

Deadpan29 Wrote:At this point it is just speculation from Hiro Protagonist, but there may be more universes on the list after Nanoha, along with the mystery universe between OMG and Nanoha where he just went back to sleep.

On the SB forums he obliquely hinted that the mystery-verse is Evangelion. He mentioned something about it involving "volkswagen sized computers" and the forum members extrapolated from there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13