Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,888
» Forum posts: 211,977

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 273 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 269 Guest(s)
Bing, Facebook, Yandex, Norgarth

Latest Threads
Video Madness XI
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: classicdrogn
6 hours ago
» Replies: 150
» Views: 8,690
Doug's Tuneplug: Great mu...
Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play
6 hours ago
» Replies: 7
» Views: 1,344
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: Jinx999
10 hours ago
» Replies: 182
» Views: 6,682
Another reset
Forum: Forums
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
Yesterday, 06:22 PM
» Replies: 22
» Views: 662
All The Tropes Wiki Proje...
Yesterday, 06:21 PM
» Replies: 141
» Views: 3,053
Image Thread 29
Last Post: Mamorien
Yesterday, 04:32 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 595
The Dead Dove Locker -- "...
Last Post: Mamorien
Yesterday, 04:19 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 1,148
Image Thread #3
Forum: My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character
Yesterday, 11:31 AM
» Replies: 93
» Views: 5,963
Crystal and Steel (Transf...
Last Post: Matrix Dragon
05-04-2024, 07:11 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 885
Crossovers That Should No...
05-04-2024, 07:08 PM
» Replies: 261
» Views: 16,673

Character Sheet question
Posted by: Disruptor - 03-17-2004, 04:54 AM - Forum: General DW Chatter - Replies (25)

When you get around to the Sailor Moon walk or Slayers walk, are we going to see a SAS or BESM character sheet for Looney Tunes?
I know we wont see a MAGIUS character sheet when you hit EVA. ^_^
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

Print this item

So - Next step Bob? ^_^
Posted by: Logan Darklighter - 03-17-2004, 01:11 AM - Forum: Future Steps - Replies (5)

Sooo... When can we expect an estimate on release of a new Chapter 1 of the next DW step?
Well c'mon! You knew someone had to ask eventually.
We'll try not to be too much like rabid crack weasels. ^_^
(Boing, boing, boing... )
-Logan
(Too much coffee...)

Print this item

Morning, all.
Posted by: Rieverre - 03-16-2004, 01:07 PM - Forum: Introductions - Replies (4)

... or evening, or afternoon.
At risk of making this too long, I'll try to be brief.
1.)who is this guy?
-a man of many words but comperatively little content, or as some would put it, a habitual rambler. he's trying to get better, though.
-a CS student, when he's not being a slacker.
-a lurker on the UF forum.
-one of Nate's merry bunch of misfits.
-writer of the occasional piece of text.
-avid readed of a great number of things, including DW. but then, that's pretty much a given here.
2.)how did he get here?
-I can't remember right now, but it was either via EPU forum, or during my time of obsessive searching for more good BGC fics.
3.)no, here as in the forum.
-linked DW on another forum, linked the stories from that forum to this place, then figured it'd be ne gers to not introduce myself.
4.)what now?
-I'll likely be popping up here and there in-between extended periods of lurking about.
5.)that all?
-Yes.

-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm

Print this item

A Song Doug Never Wants To Play.
Posted by: mephron - 03-15-2004, 06:16 PM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (4)

We dared to ask for more
But that was long before the nights began to burn
You would have thought we'd learned
You can't make promises all based upon tomorrow
Happiness, security are words we only borrowed
For is this the answer to our prayers, is this what God has sent?
Please understand this isn't what we meant
The future couldn't last, we nailed it to the past
With every word a trap that no one can take
Back from all the architects who find their towers leaning
And every prayer we pray at night has somehow lost its meaning
For is this the answer to our prayers, is this what God has sent?
(bridge)
A long time ago when the world was pretty
Standing right here in a different city
They're not coming back any more
They're not coming back any...
(lead break)
Is this the answer to our prayers, is this what God has sent?
Savatage, This Isn't What We Meant
Dead Winter Dead, 1996.
(In the superhero game I play in, the Ground Zero Memorial Concert that happened on 9/11/2002 - and where the event was far more destructive than it was in our world - this was the song that began it.)Brazil has decided you're cute.

Print this item

Reeeally oddball song/effect for Angel Baby.
Posted by: Foxboy - 03-15-2004, 07:33 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk VI: Angel Baby - Replies (7)

Reading a previous topic, somebody put in a statement that triggered my goofy sense...

Quote:
He's a penguin. Of course he's not gonna fly.

Thus, Gonna Fly Now from Rocky. Not entirely an instrumental due to the chorus...
C'mon Bob, let the Penguin get "A Wish for Wings That Work."
[Image: happy.gif]
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Print this item

Freedom's Star
Posted by: Disruptor - 03-15-2004, 03:57 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (5)

I'd have to pull the 45 record out of storage, but I do recall parts of it. At least the first stanza:
I'm going to tie my hope to Freedom's Star.
I'm going to show the world just what we are.
Tall young man, hold your head up high.
The gift of freedom you can not buy.

It's a song that praises and encourages freedom.
A song of freedom. A song that might be able to break addictions and various forms of mind control. A song that Doug MIGHT be able to use to help the victims of Arcanum's Servant Factor virus
I know that the band who played it are gospel singers, but this song and 'Don't Let the Rain Come Down'(B side) don't deal with religion. Why was it listed as a gospel song? Oh well.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

Print this item

Musings on Universes
Posted by: Scrambler - 03-14-2004, 07:47 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - Replies (4)

I had known that with infinite universes, that every concept in fiction created exists somewhere, but hadn't thought of the fact that an infinite number of people would be the creators of the same story. It's times like these that I wish transfictional interface were possible. Actually, if it were possible, I would probably move to New Avalon.

Print this item

Chapter 15 errata (possible spoilers quoted)
Posted by: The Wanderer - 03-13-2004, 04:43 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - Replies (9)

Excellent though the work is, and despite the apparently considerable amount of prereading it underwent, a few errors did slip through. To wit:

Near the end of the hire-the-Sabers scene, Lisa picks up and opens a "manilla envelope"; that should be "manila". Both spellings occur in my dictionary, but Google finds over four million mentions of the single-L version and only about a quarter of a million mentions of the double-L form, which is conclusive enough for me.
Shortly after the scene break from the Sabers about to descend through the eye of the storm, the word "lightning" is missing an N.

Quote:
there's now a critical mass of infected boomers,
White. Those with free will soon will outnumber those without.
The repetition of "will" doesn't flow well for me; I'd suggest something like "it won't be long before those with free will outnumber those without.".

In the departure scene, there is
Quote:
"Doug!" Aquarius called out, and reached out to wrap a hand the
size of a baseball mitt around my own gloved hand. "Got your
message and I knew I had to see you off."
followed later by
Quote:
As she wrestled her feelings into some semblance of control,
Aquarius stepped forward and folded his gunmetal-blue hand around
Doug's gloved one. "Take care of yourself, my friend."
I'd suggest inserting a "once more" in the second occurrence somewhere.

Quote:
If only she had something more subtle,
some kind of specially-trained "tiger team" that she could trust
both to handle jobs like this with competence and discretion...
As this stands, the "both" is dangling - both to do that, and what else? You need to either add a second referent, or drop the "both".

Finally, in Hiroe's final scene: Eternal Sailor Mercury. Despite the somewhat common appearance of the idea in fandom, there is no indication (in the anime, at least) that any of the Senshi other than Sailor Moon even *have* an Eternal form; they leave off at Super. There may be something present in the manga, but I don't remember anything from the last time I read it, which admittedly was awhile ago.

Not all of these are strictly errata, I'll admit, but I thought they were all worth pointing out. I also don't claim this to be a comprehensive list; it's only the things I noticed and remembered to write down, and there may well be others I missed. If anyone knows of any other technical nitpicks in the chapter, this would be where to mention them...
Also, Bob, it might be a good idea to update the progress description; the chapter is no longer in final preread, after all. I'd say that by now it's "out".

Print this item

Oh, and before I forget...
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 03-12-2004, 10:21 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - No Replies

... because I already did, once:
The DW2 Concordance has been updated to include chapter 15 and the epilogues.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.

Print this item

C&C: DWII/15 (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS, YOUR OWN FAULT!)
Posted by: mephron - 03-12-2004, 08:57 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - Replies (61)

Quote:
"No."
Well. Sylia's entire attitude doesn't surprise me at all. The fact she actually finally responded to Lisa's impassioned pleas, however, pleases me. She's not the COMPLETE ice queen, even if she is the quintessenial one.
I like the Zodiac Squad. I expected them to pop up after rereading 14 and saw that some of them escaped. Their individual personalities came through fairly well, especially in their way of dealing with the 'disguised' Knight Sabres.
Quincy: Hmm. Bob, do you have an urge to start your own company? Please don't - it would upset Peggy if we had to bankrupt you for the world's own good.... Other than that, geez - he could be almost any gamer geek gone mad. (And yeah, I think something went broken in his head - most 'normal' gamers PREFER to play the hero, at least in their own heads... and as noted earlier, most people already think they're the hero. And he chose the Villian just to make sure that a Hero Comes Along...)
Jennifer's switching between modes: yeah, I can see why that would be jarring, and also see why she'd do it - now that she doesn't have to worry about the possible unpleasant ramifications, why not remain in child-mode?
You know, it occurs to me that Genom STILL has Doug's DNA samples, and it's not mentioned that Madigan had them destroyed...
Madigan's 'resignation': she had to make a choice, and from the character development it was pretty obvious what she would make to the readers, especially when she realized just what a lunatic (as opposed to a Loon) that Quincy was.
(Dear Megatokyo: Sorry about the weird weather lately, it should calm down now. Regards, Col. Sangnoir.)
(Dear Mr. Quincy: this is why you don't wire your life support system to the same system as your system to remote-control your Boomer avatar. Regards, Col. Sangoir.)
Is it me, or did the imagery for the 'true' Quincy seem to come from BGC2040? The description reminded me of it considerably. And I'm certain a lot of people are wondering just what the hell happened.... But now we know more about what the Over Mind System was - Quincy's ability to create avatars.
What song is being quoted when Doug shot-puts UberBoomer Quincy's noggin?
And the rest... is batting clean-up.
Doug cooks well enough for the chairperson of Genom to be impressed, and then reinforces her ability to think that things can change if she wants them to change. (and the ring... makes sense, really.)
Quote:
There's a reason there's no god of stand-up comedy!"
Brilliant!
The departure... Sylia accepted his apologies, and yeah, after all that happened, the last thing he needed to do was taunt anyone at all.
Lisa, as we suspected, popping up with a magegift activated; Madigan getting Quincy's files and then circular-filing tem, then coming up with a way that she and the Sabres can find something in common to work with; ; Priss's relationships with Jennifer and Leon and that the Angry Sabre is finally happy...; the Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang reference (which I snickered at considerably once I parsed it all - the fact that the car wasn't describe well at the beginning had me confused until the sails opened)
Hiroe gets to emigrate! Cool. This may end up being interesting in later steps, depending. (maybe the reason they were willing to take the chance was that these were the Senshi that had encounted Doug ten centuries before... the Sailor Moon step on the Walk.)
The reason for the 'Kilroy Was Here' images, and what they meant - and the fact it was possible, and said so, in Doug's tests! - and what it means for the Boomer population, perhaps, worldwide... I'm not completely sure I like Kilroy's attitude, seems too much for the 'chaos for chaos's sake' rationalization, but he may be thinking of it being test for more.
What will Sylia do with her gift? Hopefully, once Nene and Lisa come running to her, hand Lisa the package of books.
and Toshi and Yui. Well, they did have the most concerted burst of magepower put into them, along with the divine power, so we should have expected... Megatokyo in 2050 should be a much different place. (Hey, there's an idea for a Shadowrun game now... or BESM D20...)
Final grade: A+. Ties it up, the loose ends are supposed to be loose... because the Last Unicorn said it best:
"There are no happy endings... because nothing ever ends."Brazil has decided you're cute.

Print this item